Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Euros Final - Italy v England - Sunday 11/07 - 20:00

Predictions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Penalties are a lottery and we lost the lottery - again. The fact there are people on this page saying 'top corner' 'bottom corner' gives you an idea of just how much of a lottery.

We lost. It hurts. But it was a lottery. Maybe Italy deserved to win. But it ain't the penalties that decided that. Well, they did, but, y'know.

Penalties are a lottery and we lost the lottery - again. The fact there are people on this page saying 'top corner' 'bottom corner' gives you an idea of just how much of a lottery.

We lost. It hurts. But it was a lottery. Maybe Italy deserved to win. But it ain't the penalties that decided that. Well, they did, but, y'know.
Maybe?

Oh bless you, boys. The worst possible result because it's so much easier to throw blame about with penalties. I hope they remember all they achieved. They really brightened the last few weeks and i hope we remember that. Clearly the drunken tit in the stolen car outside my house at 3am doesnt.

So, your selection for penalties were?

Shaw, Sterling, Phillips, Stones, Walker - all of these are highly technical footballers with ample experience who have won many many things between them.

Most importantly, they are not just out of boyhood.

Shaw, Sterling, Phillips, Stones, Walker - all of these are highly technical footballers with ample experience who have won many many things between them.

do you think saka was just there to make up the numbers because southgate could only come up with 25 names and needed one more for his squad?

Did they volunteer?

You know what, they should never have let it get to penalties, which are horrible for all concerned.
This is always the thing for me; no game, or indeed tournament, is decided on one kick (or three) or one mistake.

It's not Saka's fault (arguably even less so Rashford or Sancho) that he was put in a position where he had to score a penalty to save his nation's hopes.

It was on the whole team to win (or lose, I guess...) in 120 minutes. Just like no one player wins it for a team, no one player loses it for them, either.

Last edited:
This is always the thing for me; no game, or indeed tournament, is decided on one kick (or three) or one mistake.

It's not Saka's fault (arguably even less so Rashford or Sancho) that he was put in a position where he had to score a penalty to save his nation's hopes.

It was on the whole team to win (or lose, I guess...) in 120 minutes. Just like no one player wins it for a team, no one player loses it for them, either.

I hope he takes heart from Southgate's trajectory from penalty failure to national treasure status. And Saka has enough about him to become a national treasure for sure.

England were lucky to make it to penalties IMO, so the result reflects the actual game anyway.

While Italy were clearly in charge for the end of the first half and throughout the second, I was interested to see how much of their dominance rested on fouling England whenever they got into their half - there seems to have been a general acceptance of this as a strategy on the thread, but it's not something I've seen that much of in the tournament - seems a bit shit to me. Is this the kind of play we're to expect from our team as they get older and more cynical?

England were lucky to make it to penalties IMO, so the result reflects the actual game anyway.

While Italy were clearly in charge for the end of the first half and throughout the second, I was interested to see how much of their dominance rested on fouling England whenever they got into their half - there seems to have been a general acceptance of this as a strategy on the thread, but it's not something I've seen that much of in the tournament - seems a bit shit to me. Is this the kind of play we're to expect from our team as they get older and more cynical?

Well it's what you expect from Italy - not that other teams including England are averse to the odd tactical foul but Italy have always been the masters of that sort of thing.

It's part of the game and it's certainly part of the Italian defending DNA. Coached by a bloke who played in teams like that. And that's fine. We should have done more with the resultant free kicks.

The ref was lenient with the yellow cards, I think. One or two Italians could have been booked for persistent fouling, but weren't. In a way, though, I can't blame them for persisting with their fouling - they were probably expecting to get yellows, at which point they would have stopped, but they didn't so they didn't. Cynical? Very certainly. Also, has to be said, effective.

All teams do it. Even the most expansive teams rely on 'tactical' fouls when they lose possession and are out of shape.

Back
Top Bottom