• England win penalties

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Denmark win penalties

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This thread should be about your victory last night
So final post on this unless quoted/baited/tagged, thanks

I went to a big uni and was the first time i'd seen proper england supporters, mostly fine but they did kick right off when they lost, throwing things about, shouting, crying and directing their anger at the other and inanimate objects, it was a shock.
Worked at the uni and we had to get ready if an england defeat was on the cards to minimise damage, protect ourselves and colleagues

Was in Portugal for the euros and the Portuguese fans were a breath of fresh air, when they lost they went quiet, shrugged and went home, no shouting, no kicking off and no violence against other fans
When england lost their game they kicked off, chucked stuff about and even started throwing rocks at passing cars! And they didn't even lose to Portugal, there was lots and lots of anger and looking for someone to blame

And that's just a few experiences
We did lose to Portugal at that tournament, which makes me doubt the veracity of everything else you said in that post.

Yep. The Danes certainly have their moment to mythologise from last night.

It wasn't a pen. Let's face it. I don't think it was a dive either fwiw.
Yep, wasn't a pen, though the earlier one looked like it should have been (just, but yes, a pen).

No, I don't think Sterling dived, I think he just encountered a gravity hotspot.

We did lose to Portugal at that tournament, which makes me doubt the veracity of everything else you said in that post.
He's been a ridiculous figure on here for years especially when he gets into his unhinged anti-English bigotry

He's been a ridiculous figure on here for years especially when he gets into his unhinged anti-English bigotry
Oh dear OH DEAR, going to keep on and on and on? Still not happy despite winning :(
Would ask you to back that up but not the thread

Please take care of yourself, all this anger is not healthy

Yep, wasn't a pen, though the earlier one looked like it should have been (just, but yes, a pen).

No, I don't think Sterling dived, I think he just encountered a gravity hotspot.
Kane was definitely looking for a leg to fall over. But yes, I agree. I think the Dane obliged.

But I've got to be consistent here. :D I've been applauding when refs haven't been giving soft pens in this tournament. 'some contact but not enough' has been the thinking. On that reckoning, probably neither of them was a pen.

Sardinian mate posted pics of racist Italian fans attacking people today. Can confirm it exists everywhere. That laser pen guy should get charged / barred from future matches tho, you can't have people shining lasers in people's eyes. I suspect most England fans would agree with that tho
It was probably boris johnson.

the Portuguese fans were a breath of fresh air
I believe Portuguese fans set a record by being the first and only people to have a football riot in England which no English people participated in. There are (or were, pre Brexit) so many Portuguese farm workers in Lincolnshire, that when two Portuguese clubs played each other on the telly, there were enough fans in Boston or Spalding or somewhere to have a proper ruck, with riot police in attendance.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't give a fuck about the bad behaviour of a (yes, fairly loud and visible) minority of England fans anymore, or at least no more so than what the fans of other countries get up to.
There's not much I/we can do about the behaviour of other countries' fans, except complain about them. And they don't affect us directly though they will affect people in their countries.

England minority racist fans do affect us directly. I used to go to QPR matches with schoolfriends until about 1967 when skinheads and growing racism made it uncomfortable if not dangerous.
I live on the main London Underground lines into Wembley and would often be travelling home from work at the same time as England fans going to Wembley. The majority were fine though I didn't like the 'No surrender to the IRA' and later 'No surrender to the Taliban' chants.
But I would expect to be deliberately shouldered by some racist fan on the platform or getting on/off a train.
For years I couldn't bring myself to support the England team as as a result. I went along with the Scots attitude of we support whoever is playing against England. A defeat for England meant a blow to the racists' sense of superiority.
Since Southgate, Harry Kane and the England team supported Black Lives Matter and taking the knee last year I have at last felt comfortable about supporting England.
I lost interest in football for over 50 years. The only match I went to was a testimonial between Celtic and Arsenal in the 80s with some London Irish mates.
But I have watched every England match in this competition and I am hoping for an England win on Sunday.

Fair fucks to England for getting to the final but shit like this has to be nipped in the bud. Winding up gammons is one thing, winding up subscribers to Mojo magazine is beyond the pale.

E5wqyOyWYAE7zmR.jpg

thread takes off
tenor.gif

I've just watched the highlights. Denmark really had nothing in that second half apart from a couple of periods of possession where they were finding a gap between England's midfield and defence. All they had to show for it was two shots from outside the box, one of which was straight at Pickford and the other was offside anyway.

England really did have loads of chances.

In all the talk about the penalty there are some things that have been forgotten. The free kick decision for Denmark's goal was equally as soft as the penalty and England really should have had a pen before then anyway. Ref gives a free kick against Kane before he is felled but it was never a free kick.

Also, Schmeichel's save from Maguire gets better every time you watch it.

What you did say was a bit if a skewed reading of the song, though. The 30 years (now 55) of hurt references England's succession of failures since 1966. England is a big country and should be a major footballing power. But truth is that it hasn't been. In the time since 1966, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Italy and France have all won the World Cup more than once. France!! The French don't even care about football.

It's pretty self-deprecating to sing about the period you've been nowhere near as good as you should have been. It's not a sense of false entitlement to say that, imo, because I think it's reasonable to think that England should have been better than that. Nuts about football, big population, successful club teams. Spain's underachievement pre-2008 was comparable, and the Spanish were entitled to think that they had underachieved as well.
By your England is a big country logic China should be fucking amazing. Vietnam should be fucking amazing. Indonesia should be fucking amazing. The united states should be fucking amazing. But obvs it doesn't work like that.

Schmeichel was Denmark's MoM, which says a lot.

I was a bit mystified when they substituted their best outfield player, Damsgaard, after about an hour. Was he injured? Maybe a preplanned thing like Sako coming off in both his starts clearly has been. Dunno.

By your England is a big country logic China should be fucking amazing. Vietnam should be fucking amazing. Indonesia should be fucking amazing. The united states should be fucking amazing. But obvs it doesn't work like that.
Try rereading the post: nuts about football, big population, successful club teams. Those were the three criteria I stated.

Back
Top Bottom