Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Euros Final - Italy v England - Sunday 11/07 - 20:00

Predictions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There were echoes of the Zidane headbutt for me in that it was Chiellini's - possibly - last game. For sentimental reasons I'd have liked to have seen Zidane get a yellow as the butt was no more forceful than when players shove each other. A 'push' probably just warranted a yellow, though that was wishful thinking. Category wise this remained a 'shirt pull', whereas it could have been 'violent play'. Anyway...
Heh, raises an interesting question on whether the severity of a foul/sanction should be based on the force of the action or the body part used to make it :D

Aside from just how purely blatant it was, it was, as you suggest, far more violent than a simple tug of the shirt that holds a player back. He basically threw Saka down by his neck! I was genuinely worried about the impact when Saka hit the floor.
Yeah, there was an awful moment when it looked like it could have damaged his neck.

Ray Houghton spent most of the match moaning about how slow england were to get forward and use the speed that italy were afraid of, Pickford waiting for everyone to get into position and so on. Sooner or later an Italian would've got a second yellow or a red.
Pretty much what this Italian Portuguese bloke I know said at tea time , when I bought him a beer for Italy winning . Said he didnt understand why England didn't go for the throat when they had the momentum and Italy looked disorganised. Mind you I had to get someone to translate some of it but I think the sentiment is correct.

The worst thing about the Euros - in addition to the near hysteria generated - has been 'the opinion' of people who know fuck all about the game, don't go to football and embarrass themselves by proffering their ignorant views on the nuance of the game. That petition is a perfect case in point. Replay the game...fuck me :facepalm:

The worst thing about the Euros - in addition to the near hysteria generated - has been 'the opinion' of people who know fuck all about the game, don't go to football and embarrass themselves by proffering their ignorant views on the nuance of the game. That petition is a perfect case in point. Replay the game...fuck me :facepalm:
Echoes of 'replay the brexit cos of the bus' thing.

Bloody people just tuning in for the big games and then having “opinions”. :rolleyes:

That petition is totally barking, though, and I don’t think you need to know that much about football to see why.

it's good, but I enjoy the huffy gatekeeping by aggrieved regular fans too. So much to enjoy.

:D I am shocked.

ONly 3 or 4 days ago johnson and his cronies were planning on buckets of squalid political capital off the back of England winning and a fair bit even if they'd lost. Ha fucking ha! I've been a bit conflicted on taking the knee as it almost felt like a Sky Sports/Premiere League media friendly version of BLM. Just shows how things work out though, a good kick up the arse for our racist rulers. :thumbs:

Is there a Euro Cup for rugby?
As well as the six nations there is the Rugby Europe Competition for developing teams. Georgia should win, as there might be a case for then to be in a 'seven nations' .

You have to qualify for it but 2021 I think its also Russia, Portugal , Romania, Holland and Spain.

E6M2J6vXIAUKOQ8

Met chief denies policing of final failed as disabled fans tell of terror​

Euro 2020: Met chief denies policing of final failed as disabled fans tell of terror

some snippets:

[D]isabled fans have spoken of the terror of being caught up in the events on Sunday, as campaigners called for the review to include disability access at the stadium.

Ticketless fans have admitted targeting disabled entrances. Now disabled fans and their carers have described their fear as they became embroiled in battles between fans and stewards.

“The smell of urine was stinging my eyes and pushing Kian’s wheelchair was like a snowplough – there were that many cans, bags and bottles.”

“Targeting disabled entrances just shows no compassion whatsoever. I don’t know what the stewards are paid, but I’m sure it wasn’t enough to deal with this lot.”

Tim Hiley, 29, an actor from Southampton, went to the game with fellow wheelchair-user Joe McIndoe and also witnessed ticketless fans being ejected by stewards via disabled entrances. “I was horrified by what I saw,” he said.

One ticketless fan posing as a steward in a hi-vis vest tried in vain to grab Joe’s wheelchair to blag his way through the disabled entrance. [italics mine for emphasis]

"A poor young lad with his leg strapped up and on crutches was floored by the crowd"

“The security was abysmal. It was the first time I’ve ever felt unsafe at an event and Wembley has some serious questions to answers.”

Level Playing Field, a charity for disabled supporters, has written to Wembley Stadium and the Met calling for an investigation on the impact on disabled fans.

The charity’s chair, Tony Taylor, said: “We must get some urgent answers about what happened, because the reports I’ve heard have been absolutely horrific. A lot of disabled fans are now really frightened about the level of security provided for them.

Back
Top Bottom