Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Italy v Spain - Tuesday 06/07 - 20:00

Predictions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As someone who has watched the tournament better than I have, who do you think is going to win?
Doing the maths on the bookies current odds....

Italy are 5/6 to win the whole thing (55%)
England are roughly 2/5 (71.5%) to go through, Denmark 5/2 (28.5%)

That works out at, if Italy were to play the final 100 times, they'd play 28.5 against Denmark, winning 20 or 21. As they'd win 55 overall, that means they would win 34 or 35 against England, out of the 71.5 available, with England claiming 36 or 37. Hence, even the bookies think England are narrow favourites.

Which sounds about right to me. Especially with the at home thing. Two very good defenses, strikers not scoring consistently (tho England are scoring more as we go on, whilst Italy's strike rate has dropped off). They have a serious injury to a key player, but all of England are available, at the moment.

Owt can happen, of course, but England will be narrow favourites, deservedly and there is nothing to indicate that Italy could deal with England any better than England could deal with Italy.

Got to factor in the bookies' margin, of course.

The best value bet there is probably Denmark to beat England at 5/2.

Someone who knows more than me can say better, but isn't odds of 5/6 directly after a game (with presumably very few bets in yet) a bit of a standard opening gambit?

Owt can happen, of course, but England will be narrow favourites, deservedly and there is nothing to indicate that Italy could deal with England any better than England could deal with Italy.

Nothing except for Italy's 33 game unbeaten run and record in major tournaments.

Apart from that nothing.

Although you're the one who really understands tournaments when you're watching them. I am hopeless.

I don't see how records in past major tournaments really matter, tbh. Different players. And the 33 game unbeaten run counts for little. It will end. Perhaps next game. They won on the penalty lottery tonight, after a terrible opening pen, and not cos of their amazingness but cos anyone can fuck up a penalty.

People talk up various things, like England not beating Germany in a knockout match since 1966, but they don't matter. England have a 100% record in major finals, for instance. Irrelevant stats that don't mean anything.

Nothing except for Italy's 33 game unbeaten run and record in major tournaments.

Apart from that nothing.

Although you're the one who really understands tournaments when you're watching them. I am hopeless.
ohh stop being an arse. England haven't conceded. Both have great team cohesion. Runs mean nothing, you can go unbeaten 68 games in a row and then lose the next six. (ohh, and Italy just played a team who couldn't hit a barn door)

To repeat my point: there is nothing to indicate that Italy could deal with England any better than England could deal with Italy.

It seems like Alba misunderstood the coin toss, and Chiellini either a) just found it funny or b) took it as an opportunity to niggle him about it under the guise of jollies.

Still doesn't explain why he thought punching Alba in the face in front of all three officials and the camera was a good idea though :confused: :D

I don't think Alba "misunderstood" the coin toss. The ref is throwing the toss, and Chiellini and the assistant ref immediately point to the Italy side of the stadium, which is obviously not what Alba had wanted. I don't understand what's said, but watching it yesterday I interpreted Alba's gesture as a joke itself, maybe paired with a distant hope to confuse the ref enough to trick him to rerun the toss. Chielleini at least took the joke and made a laugh out of it. I don't see a "punch" at all. More of a friendly gesture like "nice try, lad, you almost had me".

I don't think Alba "misunderstood" the coin toss. The ref is throwing the toss, and Chiellini and the assistant ref immediately point to the Italy side of the stadium, which is obviously not what Alba had wanted. I don't understand what's said, but watching it yesterday I interpreted Alba's gesture as a joke itself, maybe paired with a distant hope to confuse the ref enough to trick him to rerun the toss. Chielleini at least took the joke and made a laugh out of it. I don't see a "punch" at all. More of a friendly gesture like "nice try, lad, you almost had me".
Yeah it's typically exaggerated Italian bonhomie - perhaps played for psychology, perhaps not.

england are 1/3 to qualify, denmark 9/4, so I'm rounding to 5/2.

Slightly different versions are, of course, available, but either way its basically evens for the two of them in the final.

What you've really got to factor in is UK bookies taking out of proportion amounts on an England win. This makes England much more 'favourites' than they actually are.

What you've really got to factor in is UK bookies taking out of proportion amounts on an England win. This makes England much more 'favourites' than they actually are.
bookies are now international cos they're all online. I'd get pretty much the same odds if I went to an Italian site.

The sports analysis thing the guardian always go to, whose name I cant remember offhand. has England at 68% to go through, compared to my 71%, so the difference will be pretty marginal.

Talking of which, BetFred’s odds tonight are:

Italy 15/8
Draw 16/8
England 14/8

Which sounds right after tonight’s match. If Italy capitalise on England’s nerves in the first half hour, it should be theirs.

But I’m sure we’ll discuss this more when Badgers starts the relevant thread

Last edited:
ohh stop being an arse. England haven't conceded. Both have great team cohesion. Runs mean nothing, you can go unbeaten 68 games in a row and then lose the next six. (ohh, and Italy just played a team who couldn't hit a barn door)

To repeat my point: there is nothing to indicate that Italy could deal with England any better than England could deal with Italy.
Know it all twat.

Back
Top Bottom