• Denmark win extra time

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • England win penalties

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Denmark win penalties

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I could be wrong, but I don't seem to have seen a lot of this kind of stuff recently
It's not always very prevalent but it gives people who live to hate England something to hold on to so I guess it keeps all the extremes happy

"england expects", "30/40/50 years of hurt" and of course all the "coming home" shite
I've not seen fans of other teams get as angry and lash out/kick off when they lose either

The coming home stuff is clearly a joke. We all know the original meaning was about hosting a tournament and now its morphed into meaning actually winning something which very few England fans believe will ever happen. Its self-satirising in many ways.

Its inescapable that there is (and has been for a very long time) a hardcore of England fans that are complete cunts, the very worst of the country. There is a clear link between the edl and fash types and supporting England. Its not just that they support England from their armchair they are central to the supporters club and are there at the matches home and away, booing the knee and the oppo's national anthem.

Its really shit and they stand out as some of the worst in football in what is a very crowded field. They may not be running around killing people like some ultras but they're still moronic fuckwits.

I don't really know what you do about it.

Wasn't long ago that hooligan films and books were a booming industry, here and in the US. Think that's an example of where you see real entitlement around them, other countries have cunt fans too but the British media and culture doesn't fetishize them and act as if they're some unique, special entity in the world. Even when they're being condemned here they're treated like something we have above and beyond everyone else. Routine though, plenty of sections of English society imagine that a lot of stuff here is somehow different and special to anywhere else when it really isn't.

Its inescapable that there is (and has been for a very long time) a hardcore of England fans that are complete cunts, the very worst of the country. There is a clear link between the edl and fash types and supporting England. Its not just that they support England from their armchair they are central to the supporters club and are there at the matches home and away, booing the knee and the oppo's national anthem.

Its really shit and they stand out as some of the worst in football in what is a very crowded field. They may not be running around killing people like some ultras but they're still moronic fuckwits.

which is why despite being a big (club) football fan, have found it hard to ever get behind Ingerlund. was never ingrained in me the way supporting my club team was. not really so bothered by the hoolies who like a fight but the fact that extreme right/gammon types love it always put me off. and as for singing god save the queen... pass.

and frankly find it hard supporting players who play for rival club teams!

which is why despite being a big (club) football fan, have found it hard to ever get behind Ingerlund. was never ingrained in me the way supporting my club team was. not really so bothered by the hoolies who like a fight but the fact that extreme right/gammon types love it always put me off. and as for singing god save the queen... pass.
Does look like it's changing which is great. Different players and different fans coming through
Also massive respect to Southgate and the team for taking the knee and explaining why and keeping at it in the face of cunts and politicians

Interesting! Sterlings dribbling style is very minitouch and dash in the box...Maraddonesque...not surprised he had the most
Clearly told to run at defenders with the ball ,across the box , try and find a gap for a pass, shot or get fouled. Southgate switching him to the right in extra time was very effective. Mount was everywhere , defence . midfield and attack.

Wasn't long ago that hooligan films and books were a booming industry, here and in the US. Think that's an example of where you see real entitlement around them, other countries have cunt fans too but the British media and culture doesn't fetishize them and act as if they're some unique, special entity in the world. Even when they're being condemned here they're treated like something we have above and beyond everyone else. Routine though, plenty of sections of English society imagine that a lot of stuff here is somehow different and special to anywhere else when it really isn't.

Isn't Italian football pretty much just rife with this stuff? Some clubs have been so infiltrated by ultras they have strong influence over the day to day running of the club. It's probably more a club thing than national team though.

South America is also a total fucking mess in this regard, again its probably a club thing but you really don't want to end up in the wrong part of town with the wrong colours on.

As I mentioned earlier there is hardcore of terrible people who support England, amongst the worst in the world but I don't think we should pretend they're somehow unique and everywhere is mild and problem free compared.

Telling that some can't just be happy with the win and still resort to lashing out and abuse :(

UEFA opening proceedings against England:

“Uefa has opened disciplinary proceedings against England after a laser pointer was shone in the face of Denmark goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel in Wednesday night’s Euro 2020 semi-final. Two other charges have been levelled after incidents during England’s 2-1 victory at Wembley. Along with investigating the laser pointer - shone at Schmeichel before he saved Harry Kane’s extra-time penalty only for Kane to score the rebound - Uefa is also looking into the booing of the Denmark national anthem and the lighting of fireworks inside the stadium.

“The case will be dealt with by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body in due course,” UEFA said in a statement.”

Its also true to say their fan base and traveling support is more mixed in terms of gender and race than it ever has been. Football supporters have all kinds and shades of politics,

Good moment for cleansing the class ranks I reckon, fuck all the morons off, with the toe of a boot if needed.

Cheshire is our traditional major source of salt but at times like this we learn the other home nations are ready to step up.
It's terrifically important to the economy of Scotland and Wales that England stay in as long as possible. All those sales of food and booze as they eagerly tune in for the next big game involving the big neighbours after they've been eliminated are vital for jobs and that

Good moment for cleansing the class ranks I reckon, fuck all the morons off, with the toe of a boot if needed.

Yes. Its alright giving it the big one about Eastern European countries and the widespread racism in the grounds but you have to get your own house in order. Though this is really about the FA rather than the team, I think the team's credentials in this regard are clear for everyone to see.

Its also true to say their fan base and traveling support is more mixed in terms of gender and race than it ever has been. Football supporters have all kinds and shades of politics,
Yep, and noticeable that the fans of many other European teams are becoming more mixed as well. Europe is changing and football is changing with it. All good.

I can't remember which World Cup it was when I noticed it (around 2006, or perhaps it was 2002), but there was a noticeable shift 10-15 years ago when the flag stuff around major comps lost its racial connotations. I still don't like flags much, but I don't dread the thought of them any more.

No what I said
What you did say was a bit if a skewed reading of the song, though. The 30 years (now 55) of hurt references England's succession of failures since 1966. England is a big country and should be a major footballing power. But truth is that it hasn't been. In the time since 1966, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Italy and France have all won the World Cup more than once. France!! The French don't even care about football.

It's pretty self-deprecating to sing about the period you've been nowhere near as good as you should have been. It's not a sense of false entitlement to say that, imo, because I think it's reasonable to think that England should have been better than that. Nuts about football, big population, successful club teams. Spain's underachievement pre-2008 was comparable, and the Spanish were entitled to think that they had underachieved as well.

Back
Top Bottom