• Denmark win extra time

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • England win penalties

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Denmark win penalties

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you want to watch history being made, this afternoon Mark Cavendish will try to equal Eddie Merckx' record of 34 Tour de France stage wins. In football terms, it's like winning the World Cup, but when all your teammates have been sent off, and you had to get to the stadium in Brazil by swimming.

I thought England were good value for the win. Overall we were the better side and had by far and away the better chances. Demark played well in the first half with their high press and energy but it seemed to get to them in the second half and they barely threatened, probably a combination of a long tournament and their style being hard to maintain. Schmeichel was excellent and I feel sorry for him because he saved a pen yet will probably still blame himself for not holding it.

Sterling was excellent for England and you feel if England do create anything he will always be involved. It was unfortunate he had one of those nights with his shooting and finishing because on another day he could have had a hat trick. Pickford had an off night and it did look like the occasion got to him. He has had an very good tournament though so hopefully he'll be a bit more chilled in the final.

One of the things that has really stuck out most in the tournament has been the high quality of refereeing, their desire to let the game flow and not be on the whistle every time someone falls over. I thought last night the ref didn't have a great game. Both teams found it really easy to win soft freekicks all night, particularly Kane who fell over a lot and got a freekick every time. Good forward play but average reffing. Even the freekick for Denmark's goal was a bit soft, I mean it was a foul but its the sort of thing that happens all the time in every match. Also the use of the yellow card was very strange both the ones he gave and the ones he didn't.

The penalty was not the right decision but VAR not overturning it certainly was. The use of VAR this tournament has been exactly what I've wanted since it first became a thing. Like other sports the ref makes the decisions and it should only be overturned if they've missed something completely or got it all wrong. It was a soft penalty but they do get given regularly so it was right not to overturn. Given the VAR shitshow in the premier league this has to be the way to go and I hope this approach is adopted across all football.

If you want to watch history being made, this afternoon Mark Cavendish will try to equal Eddie Merckx' record of 34 Tour de France stage wins. In football terms, it's like winning the World Cup, but when all your teammates have been sent off, and you had to get to the stadium in Brazil by swimming.

pfft. We could all do that if we take as many drugs as those cheats do.

England fans need to wise up though. People in other countries don’t hate the team it’s their fans. Especially twats like this ruining it for the good ones:

Attachments

• 115E7D0D-196E-487E-A1AE-414E78D629D4.jpeg
    115E7D0D-196E-487E-A1AE-414E78D629D4.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 14
True but there’s a streak of hoologanism in a certain section of English fans that hasn’t gone away and it is a problem. I don’t think a Danish fan would shine a laser pen into the eyes of Pickford if he was up against a penalty. Just can’t see it.
And the entitlement

Who's he riding for now? Team Weyland-Yutani or Team Visit North Korea?

Amazing achievement, love him, but he does literally have 9 people to get him to the exact right spot at the end of the race so not sure all his teammates have been sent off.

Seen the penalty incident again this morning in the cold light of day.

Can confirm, penalty.

Sterling is in his first stride at full acceleration and has his back leg planted when he gets a knee into his calf, enough to put him off balance. This means he's already stumbling when the secondary hip to hip contact comes in.

It's not necessarily a foul by either, but it's definitely a foul by both combined. And it's 100% not a dive.

Amazing achievement, love him, but he does literally have 9 people to get him to the exact right spot at the end of the race so not sure all his teammates have been sent off.
His lead out riders have made it perfect as possible for him, although that is a team effort.

True but there’s a streak of hoologanism in a certain section of English fans that hasn’t gone away and it is a problem. I don’t think a Danish fan would shine a laser pen into the eyes of Pickford if he was up against a penalty. Just can’t see it.

Its inescapable that there is (and has been for a very long time) a hardcore of England fans that are complete cunts, the very worst of the country. There is a clear link between the edl and fash types and supporting England. Its not just that they support England from their armchair they are central to the supporters club and are there at the matches home and away, booing the knee and the oppo's national anthem.

Its really shit and they stand out as some of the worst in football in what is a very crowded field. They may not be running around killing people like some ultras but they're still moronic fuckwits.

I don't really know what you do about it.

What does this mean? Don't all fans talk up how great their team is?
England fans are almost exclusively massive pessimists. As the great Bruce Springsteen said "you end up like a dog who's been beat too much, spend half your life just covering up".

What does this mean? Don't all fans talk up how great their team is?
"england expects", "30/40/50 years of hurt" and of course all the "coming home" shite
I've not seen fans of other teams get as angry and lash out/kick off when they lose either

"england expects", "30/40/50 years of hurt" and of course all the "coming home" shite
I've not seen fans of other teams get as angry and lash out/kick off when they lose either
30/40/50 years of hurt never stopped us dreaming doesn't strike me as anything to do with entitlement - where's the entitlement in singing a song about not winning in half a century, but maybe we'll do it this time?

Back
Top Bottom