Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Euros Final - Italy v England - Sunday 11/07 - 20:00

Predictions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Away from the game there are some nasty clips of England fans fighting each other before the game I think in the concourses underneath the stands inside the stadium

This doesn’t feel like a loss. It’s massive progress. Give it 18 months and some of those Italians will be over the hill. Bring on the world cup.
It feels like both a loss and massive progress to me.

Bit fluky to get to the semis of the WC. Nothing fluky about this run. England were very clearly one of the two best teams in the tournament. All credit to them.

In this tournament, the final, one semifinal and one quarterfinal, so 3/7 matches in the latter stages. “A dominant way”, I said (carefully avoiding saying “the” dominant way).
Aye, but I actually said earlier this evening that it's felt like there's been more extra time and penalties in this tournament than previous.

Also, trying not to sound as sarky as possibly, but how many other ways are there to win a tournament knockout game? Win in 90, win in 120, win on penalties?

it was not a Zadaine headbutt

I watched that live as well

and plenty of english players will have history of on cynical fouls that than
more a importance of the moment brain fart really

Aye, but I actually said earlier this evening that it's felt like there's been more extra time and penalties in this tournament than previous.

Also, trying not to sound as sarky as possibly, but how many other ways are there to win a tournament knockout game? Win in 90, win in 120, win on penalties?
Yes, so over the course of 50 years, you’re going to go out on penalties in a lot of tournaments. France have, Italy have, Spain have. Germany haven’t but, you know, Germany.

This doesn’t feel like a loss. It’s massive progress. Give it 18 months and some of those Italians will be over the hill. Bring on the world cup.
Yeah, compared to five years ago it’s an amazing advance. That was so fucking dismal.

Probably not quite as exciting to watch as in the World Cup, more concentration on defence, but that’s what’s needed to go on and win things. Could so easily have gone either way tonight, but they played like a team who has no reason to fear anyone. Can’t complain about that.

Fair enough, but they also have a history of winning lots of stuff to balance it out (again, even commented on it this evening when I saw the number of stars over their badge).
Let’s not forget the first two of those were bullshit when most teams refused to play.

Obviously the two worlds and two euros is still pretty impressive.

Back
Top Bottom