Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England fans: the racism and the violence

View attachment 279118
Getting stats that compare the three regions is difficult, because Scotland pretty much has a separate legal system; that said, the numbers above, while not strictly comparative, clearly show Wales has less of a problem compared to the rest of the UK. Even if it’s half to a third the size of London.
Tbh all those stats show is that there are more racially motivated crimes in areas with more bame people in them. If the racists were evenly distributed across the country, that's what you'd expect to find.

A more meaningful way to measure it would be to ask how likely an individual bame person living in those different places is to suffer from racially motivated abuse.

Could you expand on this useful point further Monkey? I ask because I’ve been thinking the same thing

Maybe it's not a particularly subtle point but certain people seem to be delighted to have an excuse to get back to their usual axe grinding don't they. The demand for acknowledgement of some sort of unique English awfulness is obviously counterproductive as far as tackling racism goes but that doesn't seem to be the point.

Maybe it's not a particularly subtle point but certain people seem to be delighted to have an excuse to get back to their usual axe grinding don't they. The demand for acknowledgement of some sort of unique English awfulness is obviously counterproductive as far as tackling racism goes but that doesn't seem to be the point.
Even weirder in my experience of a few countries as the UK is probably better than the rest in this regard. Long way to go obviously but do as well to consider what it is we got right and do more of it.

It's been a fairly sordid thread this, but one of the reasons it's devolved into a home-nations racism cup is surely because of the response to a thread about a specific flavour of racist activity being immediately faced with BuT WHat AboUT THe WeLSh???. Sure there's Welsh racists, but it must be possible for a welshman to be able to talk about racist English football fans in the wake of a load of racist attacks by racist English football fans without the whataboutery? We wouldn't accept this kind of bullshit when - for example - people draw attention to antisemitism on the left.

It's been a fairly sordid thread this, but one of the reasons it's devolved into a home-nations racism cup is surely because of the response to a thread about a specific flavour of racist activity being immediately faced with BuT WHat AboUT THe WeLSh???. Sure there's Welsh racists, but it must be possible for a welshman to be able to talk about racist English football fans in the wake of a load of racist attacks by racist English football fans without the whataboutery? We wouldn't accept this kind of bullshit when - for example - people draw attention to antisemitism on the left.
The reason it went like that is because of the people involved. You know how these threads are going to go by who posts on them and their usual motivations. As MO pointed out, this wasn’t about concern for racism at all.

UnsurprisED tO seE You PretEnDing to miSS thaT thougH.

The reason it went like that is because of the people involved. You know how these threads are going to go by who posts on them and their usual motivations. As MO pointed out, this wasn’t about concern for racism at all.

UnsurprisED tO seE You PretEnDing to miSS thaT thougH.
Sure, the people involved on both sides of the argument. It's fucking dull, and it's probably an issue that could do with talking about without shrieking partisanship, one side of which you have some control over.

It's that 'except all the ones I've known' thing. I've only ever met thin cultured knowledgeable polyglot non-racist well-dressed Americans, but I have a clear picture of a typical one.

Spanish people have a clear idea of typical Brits and have seen them, from a distance TBF.
I once went on holiday in the next town on from Magaluf and it looked like the sort of place I wouldn't enjoy holidaying - but then I'm the same with any place packed with fun pubs, young people, fast food joints etc whether it's Magaluf or Cleethorpes Market Place. I imagine shitloads of people go to resorts like this in holiday and have a banging time without smashing the place up. Quite a few posts on this thread a bit close to "ugh, the working class at play/count my thoughts on one two three four five fingers"

Sure, the people involved on both sides of the argument. It's fucking dull, and it's probably an issue that could do with talking about without shrieking partisanship, one side of which you have some control over.
There's Welsh racists, there's Scottish racists, there's racists every fucking where. But right now it's England fans under the spotlight for their recent behaviour at the Euros, and that includes the disgraceful booing of anthems, loudly booing their players taking the knee, and posting horrendous racist abuse on line.

And how do some people respond to a discussion on the issue? They start banging on about Cardiff City (WTF?) and Wales and the suggest that I don't really care about racism at football, FFS. Like it's not something I've not been actively involved with over the years.

There's Welsh racists, there's Scottish racists, there's racists every fucking where. But right now it's England fans under the spotlight for their recent behaviour at the Euros, and that includes the disgraceful booing of anthems, loudly booing their players taking the knee, and posting horrendous racist abuse on line.

And how do some people respond to a discussion on the issue? They start banging on about Cardiff City (WTF?) and Wales and the suggest that I don't really care about racism at football, FFS. Like it's not something I've not been actively involved with over the years.
You took issue with a point made about how there is a specific problem with England fans as opposed to Scotland/Wales fans but how there are still problems at club level in those other two countries, it's just that the specific dynamic of support for the national teams is different, a point originally made by a Scot. And somehow we ended up with assertions that the English are more racist than the Scottish/Welsh. Maybe if you hadn't jumped in defensively on my mention of Cardiff City in that context, it wouldn't have happened.

You took issue with a point made about how there is a specific problem with England fans as opposed to Scotland/Wales fans but how there are still problems at club level in those other two countries, it's just that the specific dynamic of support for the national teams is different, a point originally made by a Scot. And somehow we ended up with assertions that the English are more racist than the Scottish/Welsh. Maybe if you hadn't jumped in defensively on my mention of Cardiff City in that context, it wouldn't have happened.
Explain to me again why you posted up some woefully inaccurate and derogatory claims about Cardiff City fans in a thread about England's well documented problems with racism and violence at the Euro 2020 tournament. In a forum about football internationals.

Not a shred of evidence for your claim that you ran from and now trying to turn the blame on others! :facepalm:

This fucking thread.

It's a thinly disguised racist attack on English fans.

We all know who the real culprits are and what their agenda is.

Have you ever witnessed English people being racist?

Watching liberal BBC propaganda and stock footage doesn't count, btw

No. Didn't think so.

the whole working class stuff that keeps getting mentioned about football is odd

football long ago sold its soul , wacked up ticket prices and went behind pay walls

unless you talking about the lower leagues surprised it keeps getting brought up

So England international football has an undeniable attraction for racists, hooligans, racist hooligans.

Football is described as a working class psport. The fans and more relevantly, the racist hooligans that mire it are from across the classes. Many of the latter not really fans in any meaningful sense, see the plumber twat earlier. But England football is something they feel comfortable attaching their views to. Which needs to be tackled. Hence kick it out, taking the knee trying to address that aspect.

BME people of high public profile still get racist shit on the internet. Not an exclusively football problem.

Foreign actors for mischief sake can and seemingly do exploit the online fora for fuling fires, sewing discord. Acknowledging this does not deny the existence of the former. But if you want to tackle any of this, knowing who's doing it and why, would seem important. At least so you're not wasting your time shooting at enemies you can't reach.

Oh and hating England or Englishness however you define it isn't an antiracist stance.

(oh but who's saying that, wa, wa?!!)

Thread has a wiff of it.

Tbh all those stats show is that there are more racially motivated crimes in areas with more bame people in them. If the racists were evenly distributed across the country, that's what you'd expect to find.

A more meaningful way to measure it would be to ask how likely an individual bame person living in those different places is to suffer from racially motivated abuse.
I understand why people are dismissive of the thread. That said, as someone from England, I don't think it's so controversial to suggest BME would probably experience more racism in England than either Wales or Scotland. More than anything, I think it stems from a stronger undercurrent in English national identity. Can I definitively prove that? Probably not.

This wasn't meant as a litmus test, to suggest one nation was necessary better than another, but even as a cheap point, English fans are clearly the more problematic of the three nations.

Back
Top Bottom