Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Scotland 18.6.21

Scotland upped their game and got their tactics spot on. England just weren't sharp enough. Fuck knows whats going on with Kane, Stirling looks off the pace - but Pickford is excellent. Not too concerned - only need a point against the czechs to go through - and hopefully the team will work itself out. There's enough quality there.

Scotland played well tonight, but, with no disrespect to them, man-for-man they ought to blown away be England in every position. The fact that all our lot played very poorly compared to how they do for their clubs (both individually and collectively) shows Southgate's limitations as a manager - he can't motivate, and sets up negatively (in terms of formation and tactics). I mean two holding midfielders; the full backs 20 yards behind where they'd be for their clubs; Kane playing so deep; replacing one of the few creatie players in Foden; not taking a chance on the creativity of, say, Sancho...

To a neutral like me at least, it seems absurd to diss England for their performance here, let alone boo them ffs.

Every fan would love their team to win a tournament in an spectacular fashion, but having a disappointing game during the group stage but still have four points after two matches is something literally every other nation and their fans would consider more than acceptable. Certainly not worth dissing their team for.

The continued omission of Sancho is the biggest issue I think, he's already world class and consistently the best player for a Dortmund team that includes a few other decent prospects last I checked.

We're crying out for Grealish / Foden / Sancho behind the striker.

To a neutral like me at least, it seems absurd to diss England for their performance here, let alone boo them ffs.

Every fan would love their team to win a tournament in an spectacular fashion, but having a disappointing game during the group stage but still have four points after two matches is something literally every other nation and their fans would consider more than acceptable. Certainly not worth dissing their team for.
It's not the results, it's the fact that they're playing in a way that means they'll get stuffed by any team that's even half decent!

That's Wales, that is. :D Yep, acceptable.

I think this is unfair to our woad-clad cousins.
They've got one player, two tops, who'd be competing to even get into the England squad. There's no getting away from the fact that tonight was very under par from England.

They've got one player, two tops, who'd be competing to even get into the England squad. There's no getting away from the fact that tonight was very under par from England.

Sour grapes and handbags.

It's not the results, it's the fact that they're playing in a way that means they'll get stuffed by any team that's even half decent!
Another day another game. I thought Wales were lucky to get a point against the Swiss having failed miserably to get Ramsey into the game. Totally different story vs Turkey. Get the ropey performances out of the way early. And if you manage not to lose on your off-day, that's a positive. :)

Another day another game. I thought Wales were lucky to get a point against the Swiss having failed miserably to get Ramsey into the game. Totally different story vs Turkey. Get the ropey performances out of the way early. And if you manage not to lose on your off-day, that's a positive. :)
The trouble is that it's not just a blip; that's how he plays, and it fails to bring the best out of the team.

Yes and no. Even the best sides had off-games at their greatest era. And whereas negative press reviews after a bad game are to be expected by any player, being booed at home by your own fans for a result that still leaves you in an excellent position to qualify seems OTT and detrimental to England’s chances IMO.

I don't get why Sterling is always the one singled out. It happened at the World Cup as well. He wasn't scoring but he was one of the team's brightest sparks right through the WC and he was slated for it at first cos he didn't score. I thought he did ok tonight. He was at least trying things.

Back
Top Bottom