Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Scotland 18.6.21

WC semi-finals. Easy as you like qualification for the Euros, unbeaten so far and as good as through to the last 16. Results! You can't have it both ways. :D

tbh because of the format, this tournament doesn't really get started properly until the knockouts. But you can't do much better than qualifying for the knockouts after two games.
Yeah, the new format is crap. I'd a straightforward eight groups of four, with top two from each going through, then first from A meets second from B etc.

Yes, undeniably, but Southgate is the one who got England to a World Cup semi final, as opposed to those two top managers, who failed miserably.

Yes, that is undeniable. But it tells us next to nothing about his abilities as a manager. Notwithstanding that the luck of the draw plays a big part in how far a team gets, in the long run you're better off picking proven succesful managers than trying to pick lucky ones!

What Southgate, and his coaching / scouting team has done is to develop and promote a whole swathe of young players that other managers would have overlooked for a good couple of years . Who could have imagined Mason Mount pretty much being assured of a place a year ago ?

How much of that progress has come from Southgate, and how much from his club games? I'm not sureinternational managers get enough time with players to develop them that much; their principal impact is tactical and man management.

Yeah, the new format is crap. I'd a straightforward eight groups of four, with top two from each going through, then first from A meets second from B etc.
For the World Cup, that's perfect. The Euros at its best is a 16-team tournament - four groups of four then the quarters. Also adds jeopardy to qualification (which the money people don't like, of course). Eight teams wasn't enough. 24 is too many. There aren't 24 good teams in Europe.

For the World Cup, that's perfect. The Euros at its best is a 16-team tournament - four groups of four then the quarters. Also adds jeopardy to qualification (which the money people don't like, of course). Eight teams wasn't enough. 24 is too many. There aren't 24 good teams in Europe.
Not sure about that, though I guess it depends on your definition of 'good' - the four lowest ranked teams in the tournament are North Macedonia (beat Germany in WC qualifying in March), Finland (just beaten Denmark, albeit under unusual circumstances), Scotland (just been the better side in a draw against the world number 4/World Cup semi-finalists), and Czech Republic (drawn with the last World Cup finalists).

You've also got Iceland, Northern Ireland, Serbia and Norway who all could have done something in this tournament without affecting the quality too much.

I would boot out Spain, Russia, Switzerland and Turkey for being boring/shit, and invite the four above next time.

It's true that there have been some impressive performances from lesser teams so far - just had another one from Hungary. In 2016, that wasn't really the case, though. A few very ordinary teams. Best Euros for me was 2008 - you could make the case for virtually all the 16 teams for progression. I also like the idea that qualification should represent a significant hurdle for everyone.

How much of that progress has come from Southgate, and how much from his club games? I'm not sureinternational managers get enough time with players to develop them that much; their principal impact is tactical and man management.
Of course but those young players wouldn’t have had the opportunity to benefit from what has been a nurturing style of man management or indeed the adaption to his style of play unless they were in the squad over the past year or so

Maguire needs to be back on. Good with Stones but mostly, he is vocal and can take a fair bit of control of a game. Not really placing great hopes in Grealish (kinda like Calvert-Lewin) and think he shoulda been brought on. I dunno. I think Scotland played to their max - if England had managed the same cohesion and effort,the score woulda been 6-0 but well...what do I know.

Of course but those young players wouldn’t have had the opportunity to benefit from what has been a nurturing style of man management or indeed the adaption to his style of play unless they were in the squad over the past year or so
I don't see the adaption to his style of play as a good thing!

Nope, I am not heartened by Southgate. Not only is he a bit dull, he surrounds himself with even duller dullards (Steve Holland FFS)

If I understand it correctly, England might be much better off ending up second in the group, so yesterday could be a blessing in disguise.

I don’t think getting a draw was a plan for England- you really should be up there with 6 points on paper. That Czech game is going to be pretty serious for England. Obvs.

still leaves it open for us. Kinda out of our hands now but I wouldn’t warrant the silky skills of England to pop up in that final game by magic .

Putting my undying 25 year devotion to him aside :D Southgate has a mammoth task ahead of him in the long term. He's trying to undo a decade of terrible England psychology, with "star players" having the weight of the country on their shoulders and the rest of the squad overlooked. And you can tell he really cares about the wellbeing of his players. You could see it in Mings' pm interview. He was all about the accountability of the whole team, the intensity having to come from every player, not one talisman or lucky charm goal-scorer who wasn't on form. Yet whoever was asking the questions kept asking about Kane :rolleyes:
They're a young team. How many people on the pitch last night had been at anything as charged as that international Derby? Yeah maybe they choked a bit. It's all experience.
For me, I'm excited by this team, this new approach. I've got some pride in them again, after the Rooney (Owen, Beckham..) years, because a lot of the time they look like they're having fun. They're encouraged to do things they believe in and are backed by their manager. Southgate could put 10 full backs on for our next game and I'd have his back, fuck it, read his statement on taking the knee.

It's coming home (eventually).

I think what he's doing eclipses football. I similalry love him, win lose or draw.

The note he wrote about taking the knee should be studied as one of the best examples of public intelligent moral leadership.

If I understand it correctly, England might be much better off ending up second in the group, so yesterday could be a blessing in disguise.

They should make it so you get a pick. This is silly, no team should be worse off for winning :mad:

Back
Top Bottom