Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England fans: the racism and the violence

I'm not sure I understand what you take to be the 'culture war' in this instance. From what I can tell, it is a war that has largely been declared and defined by one particular side - the side that uses meaningless terms such as 'cultural Marxism', the side that vocally decries the pulling down of the statues of slave traders, the side that wilfully misunderstands and misrepresents the message of BLM in order to discredit it.

Or are you referring to some other cultural war that I'm not aware of? Because I know what side I'm on in the one I describe above.
as long as theres been a class war theres been a culture war
i think the only thing that marks out this current era of culture war as anything new is that the Tories, taking their lead from the far/alt/republican right, are making it a major plank of their electoral strategy

I’ll concede racism is more prevelant in England, but the English drink and party less than Scotland or Wales? England is twenty times bigger than Wales, and ten times bigger than Scotland by population respectively. You don’t think that part of the problem is that we’re more instantly recognisable than either the Welsh or the Scottish on the account of our population size?

I’ll concede racism is more prevelant in England, but the English drink and party less than Scotland or Wales? England is twenty times bigger than Wales, and ten times bigger than Scotland by population respectively. You don’t think that part of the problem is that we’re more instantly recognisable than either the Welsh or the Scottish on the account of our population size?
Not at international football matches, no.

Ghana Sports Online say Hudson-Odoi has made the decision to play for Ghana, with a key, final factor being the racist abuse suffered by three black England players after the Euro 2020 final.

Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka were all subjected to monkey emojis and vile racial slurs online after missing in the penalty shoot-out defeat to Italy at Wembley.
Hudson-Odoi feels he too could receive the same treatment and so now has his heart set on playing for Ghana with the likes of Thomas Partey, Jeffrey Schlupp and Jordan and Andre Ayew.

Interesting development...

Is racism more prevalent in England than in Scotland or Wales?

The view from CNN:

I've been abroad a number of times now and I don't think I ever acted like a hooligan. Fairly sure none of my friends or family have done so either.

I've been abroad a number of times now and I don't think I ever acted like a hooligan. Fairly sure none of my friends or family have done so either.
same , I've travelled all over the place, been pretty drunk on occasion and I know I haven't acted like a thug

same , I've travelled all over the place, been pretty drunk on occasion and I know I haven't acted like a thug
I've also never had an FEB on a holiday abroad, always learned some basics of the host's language, spoken to locals when obvious it was ok to do so, etc. I even went to Amsterdam without visiting the red light district or a coffeeshop. Have I been doing it wrong all these years? :D

Interesting development...
He hasn’t made any announcement. He has been visiting Ghana quite regularly and says he wants to do more for the country . He has started to set up some youth projects and has met the President. He may well switch and racism may or may not be a reason but nothing official yet.

Is racism more prevalent in England than in Scotland or Wales?
F8C1F65D-B66A-4C10-A211-F8316097CD49.jpeg
Getting stats that compare the three regions is difficult, because Scotland pretty much has a separate legal system; that said, the numbers above, while not strictly comparative, clearly show Wales has less of a problem compared to the rest of the UK. Even if it’s half to a third the size of London.

These figures really need to be considered in conjunction with the ethnic makeup of those different regions. Wales and the North East probably offer racists fewer potential victims.
Yet you'll find plenty of racists in overwhelmingly white areas - like parts of Essex.

1626571219228.png

Yet you'll find plenty of racists in overwhelmingly white areas - like parts of Essex.

View attachment 279124

I'm sure, but police statistics count only victims, not racists.

These figures really need to be considered in conjunction with the ethnic makeup of those different regions.
8663A465-EDDB-424C-9E9A-F971F27BA3D6.jpeg

Wales and the North East are fairly comparable in terms of demographics, but certain areas of England have recorded racially motivated crimes well above their respective ethnic minority makeup: the South East and Yorkshire, especially.

Fucking hell this thread started off as utter dogshit and has now taken a nosedive.

‘England’s more racist than Wales, ner ner ner ner ner!!!’

Seriously?

Twats.
I bet you can't point to a single case of Wales fans involved in racism or anything else during the current Euros though, which must prove something...

I bet you can't point to a single case of Wales fans involved in racism or anything else during the current Euros though, which must prove something...
Weren't Welsh black players subject to some online abuse after the friendly against Mexico before the Euros?

Fucking hell this thread started off as utter dogshit and has now taken a nosedive.

‘England’s more racist than Wales, ner ner ner ner ner!!!’

Seriously?

Twats.

We had a similar one a while back that set out to show that English people behave worse on foreign holidays than Welsh people. That was utter dogshit as well if I remember correctly. Sadly a few posters had a mask slip and were revealed as inverted bigots with pompous Little Britain style views about working class people.

It's that 'except all the ones I've known' thing. I've only ever met thin cultured knowledgeable polyglot non-racist well-dressed Americans, but I have a clear picture of a typical one.

Spanish people have a clear idea of typical Brits and have seen them, from a distance TBF.

inverted bigots with pompous Little Britain style views about working class people.
I don't believe in 'inverted' bigotry. Bigotry is just bigotry, isn't it. Whoever the bigot is and whoever their target. Under the equality act 2010, discrimination by association and discrimination by perception are both illegal, in the workplace at least if not in the street, or online. However 'class' is not a protected characteristic (interestingly).

Back
Top Bottom