Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2023

I like Chris Woakes, and his record in England is superb (plus he'd be an excellent no.8 in the batting), but I don't think he gets near my best 11 right now. I'd go for Wood ahead of Archer at the moment but otherwise, that team doesn't look far off.

The situation has changed in that bowler rotation is inevitable. I think it's probable no single seamer will play all five games. Robinson might. I give everyone else a zero chance of it. So my seam bowling primary squad (assuming Stokes is fit enough to at least bowl a bit) would be: Anderson, Robinson, Wood, Archer, Broad. I expect all of them to play at some point, if fit. Possibles to come in outside of that are numerous. There are lots of players who've done well enough when they've played in the last couple of years: Potts, Mahmood, Fisher, Stone, J Overton. Plus Woakes is still a decent option. I think a lot will depend on how they go in the next couple of months in the CC.

Keaton Jennings shunned bazball and played for a draw, piling on unecessary runs, disappointing both sets of fans.

Ben Stokes is apparently the best player in the world. For the third time. I don't agree with this.

Totally the best captain in the world, but best player?

“England’s Test cricket had grown joyless, producing one win out of 17 and the resignation of Joe Root, an exemplary team man but with too much on his plate and not enough acumen. Ben Stokes and Brendon McCullum are cut from a more vibrant cloth, and have a clarity of vision. They even picked their best team.

What a bitch (although totally correct).

Australia squad is announced. Looks like a strong first team (possibly excepting Warner who's never been great in England and is looking past his best) but not a huge amount behind that. Only one fast bowling reserve which could be a weak spot.

They've got fast bowling back-up playing in the County Championship.

Labuschagne came in from the County Championship last time. Shouldn't be allowed. :D

Warner appears to be in a weird place right now. He's the current top-scorer in the IPL, and he's probably lost his team at least two matches by not scoring quickly enough. How that will translate into test form, I don't know, but yeah, he looks over the hill. I'm quite happy for Aus to pick him tbh.

Warner appears to be in a weird place right now. He's the current top-scorer in the IPL, and he's probably lost his team at least two matches by not scoring quickly enough. How that will translate into test form, I don't know, but yeah, he looks over the hill. I'm quite happy for Aus to pick him tbh.

Warner in England as the pantomime villain is always a good laugh. I hope he's selected. Never seen a player get so much stick from the crowd, not even mitchell johnson (who is actually a nice guy apparently - Warner's an utter cock from what I can tell)

Another 90 for Rehan Ahmed today. I think if you look at the list of bowlers England might pick Woakes looks the only solid number 8 and he's some way down the list. If he keeps scoring runs it will be hard for them to leave him out.

I dont think they'll be changing the team too much, if at all. Only Bairstow for Crawley, surely. There's nice breaks between the matches so I don't know why Stokes wants 8 fast bowlers or whatever he asked for.

Oh dear, poor old Olly Stone

England are anxiously waiting for Olly Stone’s scan results after the Ashes hopeful hobbled off the field, part way through an over, with a hamstring injury during Nottinghamshire’s championship fixture against Lancashire at Trent Bridge on Saturday. Notts will not know the full extent of the injury until Stone has a scan at the conclusion of the match, but he was said to be hobbling around the dressing room on crutches.

If you haven’t see Archer is still broke and heading back to Sussex.

Hazlewood is looking dodge too.

If you haven’t see Archer is still broke and heading back to Sussex.

Hazlewood is looking dodge too.

How the fuck is Archer still on a central contract at probably £600k a year or something. I mean. I barely remember what he looks like. Just put him out to pasture.

Back
Top Bottom