Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2022

A lead of 200 would probably do it. But I reckon they could get more. Pretty useful tail. Even Jamieson started out as an opening batsman.

Not quite sure why Stokes has brought a spinner on when seamers have been kicking arse for two days. And his team have four very good ones.

Not quite sure why Stokes has brought a spinner on when seamers have been kicking arse for two days. And his team have four very good ones.

One aspect is perception - if he avoided bowling Parkinson it would say to the Kiwis that there’s was concern of the situation and a lack of confidence in the spinner. Plus there’s the precedent of avoiding bowling Leach and the impact that had on him and the mindset of the team.

Parky is doing alright.

The game's gone
It's in the balance. I make it almost exactly 50:50 right now. NZ need another good session to get ahead. England bowl NZ out this evening and they're big favourites.

I fancy England to chase anything up to 220-230. NZ need to double their score from here at least.

It's in the balance. I make it almost exactly 50:50 right now. NZ need another good session to get ahead. England bowl NZ out this evening and they're big favourites.

Yes but that won't be happening I don't think. At the very least they'll send out their battering rams in the lower order to score a quick 60-70 minimum and that's that. We'll see. Either way, the MCC isn't getting revenue for a 4th and 5th day.

This Parkinson guy is gonna be a pub quiz question right? He doesn't look up to the job and presumably Leach will be back next week. What a weird way to make your only test cap.

There appears to have been an outbreak of proper test batting.

I'm confused.

England are in the poo. Need both these early tomorrow or it could be 350+ to chase.

Well done to NZ. They are a team that knows how to fight.

I think Taylor's right. Need to break this partnership and give Parky a go at De Grandhomme.

As much as I like De Grandhomme he doesn’t appear to be one of the great thinkers of the game. Parkinson should be able to mug him off after a few boundaries.

Latest from the Met Office…

F42633C5-4F1E-40C5-B75E-D5E74DE11502.jpeg

Looks like a delayed start is possible. Then a murky start, ideal for a quick couple of wickets. Then Broad and Anderson can tuck in with the new ball wrapping up the NZ innings in time for lunch. The day brightens as England come out to bat and all is well. That or I need some medication.

As much as I like De Grandhomme he doesn’t appear to be one of the great thinkers of the game. Parkinson should be able to mug him off after a few boundaries.

I think Parkinson bowled some proper crap today. The deck didn't help him but he looked very ordinary.

I think Parkinson bowled some proper crap today. The deck didn't help him but he looked very ordinary.

It was an uninspiring display for sure, though I’m tempted to cut him some slack as he was meant to be having a BBQ oop north today. Not the best mental preparation, haring it down the M1 while England batters collapsed.

Didn't see it today but from what I've seen of him before, he turns it both ways but is very very very slow. Can that work in tests?

I don't know much about his county form but today he was just straight up and down, very slow, and often wide and over-pitched. The commentators tried to make a thing about him bowling from the wrong end because of the slope but I've always thought that's bollocks given the mere inch of contact that the ball makes with the deck. Let's see how he does tomorrow..

Last edited:
I don't know much about his county form but today he was just straight up and down, very slow, and often wide and over-pitched. The commentators tried to make a thing about him bowling from the wrong end because of the slope but I've always thought that's bollocks given the mere inch of contact that the ball makes with the deck. Let's see how he does tomorrow..
Yup - the amount of time the ball is on the wicket, the amount of slope on the wicket (no more than an inch) means all the talk about the slope is bollocks. Run ups may be a little off centre, but the slope is from the wicket down to the Mound Stand. If you're looking for an edge, you don't want the ball moving a lot off the seam, just enough to get an edge.

Back
Top Bottom