Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the old days, people [me included] would sometimes respond in a discussion by posting a link to some lengthy article, without any comment on what the article contained, and would say, in essence, 'read that'.

The discussion would continue, and the article poster might end up saying something like, 'but the article responded to that - at paragraph 352.'

As I recall it, the moderators would sometimes respond by saying that it was appropriate to at least provide a synopsis, if one was going to link to something lengthy. There might even have been a rule about it.

Not sure that the form of media linked to should matter: if it's going to take more than a minute or two to read or watch/listen to, and the poster thinks the thing is germane or important, it facilitates the flow of discussion to provide a synopsis.
but haven't you been posting loads of links with no comment?

Sometimes, but most written articles in the age of '24-hour-a-day journalism' tend to be short, often 6 to 12 paragraphs or so, and rarely require more than a minute or so to read. I usually also include quoted paragraphs that give the flavor of what the article is about, and not just a naked link [usually:)]

In the old days, people [me included] would sometimes respond in a discussion by posting a link to some lengthy article, without any comment on what the article contained, and would say, in essence, 'read that'.

The discussion would continue, and the article poster might end up saying something like, 'but the article responded to that - at paragraph 352.'

As I recall it, the moderators would sometimes respond by saying that it was appropriate to at least provide a synopsis, if one was going to link to something lengthy. There might even have been a rule about it.

Not sure that the form of media linked to should matter: if it's going to take more than a minute or two to read or watch/listen to, and the poster thinks the thing is germane or important, it facilitates the flow of discussion to provide a synopsis.
This is still a rule, at least for new threads, always has been. But the video is titled and the post contains some info on what it's about, if not a summary.

Now you just post the full article over numerous consecutive posts.

Well worth a read.

How Bill Clinton Remade the Democratic Party by Abandoning Unions-An Arkansas Story | LAWCHA

In a horrendous election night for the Hillary Clinton, the only bright spot was Nevada, where Culinary Workers Union Local 226’s massive get-out-the-vote operation ensured that the state’s six electoral votes went into the Democratic column. Not only did the local get their Hispanic, Asian, African-American, and white members to the polls but its sophisticated operation also rallied other members of Nevada’s diverse working-class.

In much of the rest of the country, the working-class voters—especially white ones—stayed home, alienated from both a Democratic candidate who made little effort to address their economic concerns and a Republican candidate who stirred up hate. Class-based union-led mobilization operations like the one in Nevada have become rare, but they were central to the Democratic Party’s successes from the 1930s through the 1980s even in what are now deep red states like Arkansas.

The irony is that the decline of such mobilization efforts can be traced back to Bill Clinton and his activities in 1970s Arkansas, when he and his allies began undermining the labor movement and its efforts to educate working-class voters and get them to the polls on behalf of the Democratic Party. Not only did Bill Clinton refuse to support efforts to strengthen unions at a time when local companies like Walmart and Tyson Foods were becoming more aggressive in their “union avoidance” methods, but he also began to bait the labor movement to gain electoral advantage. He would ride his Arkansas strategies into the White House in 1992, transforming the Democratic Party along the way.

In Arkansas, labor’s efforts to build a biracial working-class coalition began in the 1950s, when the state’s white trade union leaders—in an unsuccessful attempt to defeat Sen. John McClellan—secured funds from the national labor federations to buy poll tax receipts for distribution in black communities. Labor and black activists cemented their budding alliance during Little Rock’s Central High crisis, when white trade unionists worked in tandem with black college students to drive black voters to the polls to reopen the schools shut by segregationists.

In 1964, the AFL-CIO’s political arm funded the successful effort of Arkansas labor and civil rights activists to replace the state’s poll tax with a simplified permanent registration system. These efforts were so successful in getting black voters to the polls that neither Arkansas nor any of its counties were covered by the pre-clearance procedures of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. From the 1960s into the 1980s, the Arkansas AFL-CIO worked with groups like the Southern Regional Council, Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, Arkansas Community Organizations for Reform Now and local civil rights groups in sophisticated operations to get working-class voters to the polls.

These labor-funded efforts opened the state’s political system to working-class voters. In the 1940s, V. O. Key documented the state’s planters and industrialists’ grip on electoral politics before concluding, “in Arkansas, more than almost any other southern state, social and economic issues of significance to the people have lain ignored.” In 1948, just 242,475 Arkansans cast votes in the presidential election, but this number increased 251% to 609,050 by 1968 even though the state’s population remained virtually unchanged (1.909 million in 1950; 1.923 million in 1970).

No one expressed the aims of this labor-funded biracial working-class coalition as well as Ernest Green, the oldest of the nine students to integrate Central High, who in 1967 declared, “There is no alternative but that Negroes, white workers, and farmers must unite behind the labor movement in its struggle against unemployment, low wages, discrimination, union-busting, and, ultimately, against poverty….for if we stand divided and separated, big business and big industry will triumph again in the South.”

Labor’s efforts to open up Arkansas’s political system to working-class blacks and whites and get them to the polls ushered in the state’s liberal heyday in the first half of the 1970s, making possible the elections of Bill Clinton and longtime senators David Pryor and Dale Bumpers. During this era, the General Assembly revised the tax code along progressive lines and increased spending on education and other social provisions, and voters approved measures to regulate more aggressively banks, hospitals, insurance companies, and polluting industries.

Bill Clinton, Bumpers, and Pryor—known as the Big Three in Arkansas politics—also relied on labor funds and mobilization efforts early in their political careers. For instance, labor bankrolled Bill Clinton’s first run for elective office—his failed 1974 campaign for U.S. Congress. This money made it possible for him to purchase television airtime throughout the state, helping make him the darling of Arkansas’s political establishment and facilitating his meteoric rise.

But once in office, Clinton and his allies turned their backs on the labor movement that had made their careers possible, largely in hopes of discouraging anti-union companies from funding potential rivals or to undermine potential rivals on the left. Although political commentators date the birth of Clintonian triangulation—i.e. adopting some of your opponent’s policies to distance yourself from your base, move to the center, and broaden your electoral appeal—to the aftermath of the 1994 elections, Bill Clinton along with Pryor and Bumpers began employing it in the 1970s and the Arkansas labor movement was the target.

There is no better example of this triangulation than the Labor Reform Bill of 1978. As anti-union enterprises found new ways to circumvent the National Labor Relations Board procedures—dragging out certification processes, illegally firing union activists and taking years to litigate challenges to these dismissals, and purposely violating laws knowing that the minimal fines would be a small price to pay to keep unions at bay—unions sought relief in the form of a new law to eliminate these practices. But Bill Clinton, Pryor, and Bumpers worked enthusiastically against the bill. Pryor made opposition the cornerstone of his 1978 senate bid. Bill Clinton, with the help of political consultant Dick Morris, wrote a series of ads for Pryor’s campaign warning that unions were “disastrous for the economy of Arkansas.” Bumpers joined the Senate filibuster that killed the bill.

Triangulation made Clinton and his allies nearly unbeatable. Work with liberals on social issues and gestures to the black community allowed them to retain the backing of much of the left (who really had no one else to support), and their labor policies attracted the support (with various degrees of enthusiasm) of business conservatives. Unable to counter employer aggressiveness during a period of rampant inflation and trade pressures, Arkansas’s labor movement and the liberalism that it did so much to sustain withered, and the state began a political shift to the right. The Big Three easily accommodated themselves to this shift, supporting free trade, economic deregulation, and other elements of neoliberalism.

Difficult for Clinton, though, after all the fuss made about how Trump should accept the result of the election come what may. For her to do what she accused him of planning to do would not sit well.
There might be an even crazier reason.

If anyone knows about this stuff it is Bev Harris of blackboxvoting.org

her verdict: they tried to rig the election for Clinton!!! But failed because Trump was just too good.

Strange huh.

interview with Alex Jones here about 3:30 in

I dunno about everyone else, but it seems pretty damn obvious to me that electronic voting is an absolutely fucking terrible idea. Leaving aside the massive potential for fraud, democracy isn't something that should stop working in the event of a power cut.

Last I looked we had a zero tolerance for conspiraloon shite policy here.

I certainly do and I had undertood that also to be one of the clear lines you don't cross here like quoting from the Protocols of Elders of Zion, the Sun on Liverpool FC or Exxon funded think tanks on climate change.

Last edited:
yes indeed, not arguing with you pointing it out at all. Just a bit disappointed in squirrelp - he's done some research and seems to have given some really good advance on another thread - but reverting to conspiracy theory here. :(

um, have you guys missed that conspiracy theories regarding electronic vote hacking are pretty mainstream right now with calls for recounts and they've already been quoted on this thread by other posters.

And if you are going to look at those, Bev Harris has been the authority for years and her site blackboxvoting.org is non-partisan

Last edited:
And a lot of people at work have YouTube blocked...AND Twitter, give a summary or cut n paste a tweet, don't expect people to be able to view YouTube and social media at work locations.

Also, some users on these boards are based in China where youtube is blocked. I don't have a VPN on my phone, when people post things from twitter or youtube I can't see them unless I have my laptop to hand.

um, have you guys missed that conspiracy theories regarding electronic vote hacking are pretty mainstream right now with calls for recounts and they've already been quoted on this thread by other posters.

And if you are going to look at those, Bev Harris has been the authority for years and her site blackboxvoting.org is non-partisan
I just watched the video you posted and they didn't offer a single evidence showing election rigging - they were just burbling on about how it 'had happened' and some crap about 'Hilary cancelled her firework display' or somesuch shite.

I just watched the video you posted and they didn't offer a single evidence showing election rigging - they were just burbling on about how it 'had happened' and some crap about 'Hilary cancelled her firework display' or somesuch shite.

I have to say that it is interesting how much prominence these utterly groundless, but promoted by very powerful people, claims are being given despite a total absence of evidence. Just what is going on?

7 months before the election

Presidential Proclamation -- National Charter Schools Week, 2016

Our Nation has always been guided by the belief that all young people should be free to dream as big and boldly as they want, and that with hard work and determination, they can turn their dreams into realities. Schools help us uphold this ideal by offering a place for children to grow, learn, and thrive. During National Charter Schools Week, we celebrate the role of high-quality public charter schools in helping to ensure students are prepared and able to seize their piece of the American dream, and we honor the dedicated professionals across America who make this calling their life's work by serving in charter schools.

Charter schools play an important role in our country's education system. Supporting some of our Nation's underserved communities, they can ignite imagination and nourish the minds of America's young people while finding new ways of educating them and equipping them with the knowledge they need to succeed. With the flexibility to develop new methods for educating our youth, and to develop remedies that could help underperforming schools, these innovative and autonomous public schools often offer lessons that can be applied in other institutions of learning across our country, including in traditional public schools. We also must ensure our charter schools, like all our schools, are of high quality and are held accountable -- when a charter school does not meet high standards, we need to act in the best interest of its students to help it improve, and if that does not prove possible, to close its doors.

A week of celebrating what is effectively looting, and in some areas like New Orleans is a key tool of targeting specifically mostly black teachers, on behalf of the already rich shareholders of the 'education industry' justified by anti-racism. The Obama administration has been truly loathsome on education, it will get worse now but it will be a lot easier for Trump to make it even worse because the direction of travel is so bad already!

To be strictly fair, im pretty sure Bev Harris used to be legit, but Alex Jones channels seem to be key markets for her product these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom