Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you disapprove of people who are planning an overseas holiday this summer?

Is planning an overseas holiday this summer the right thing to do

• Yes - I’m already booked and will go away regardless of the rules

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I’d be booked if the testing regime was more relaxed

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I would like a holiday abroad but not until Covid restrictions are over

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • No they’re selfish bastards thinking only of themselves

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • NA - I always holiday within the UK

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • What’s a holiday? I work 400 days a year down the mines

Votes: 25 18.4%

• Total voters
Perhaps approach it as seeing that a holiday is not 'a thing', rather that it's whatever you want it to be.

I've got a mate who lives in the Mess, single, no kids, and his holiday is booking a cottage in the middle of nowhere, driving up with a pile of books & some recipes he wants to try, and barely leaving the house. He's perfectly happy if it pisses it down for a fortnight...

We're going to Norfolk for Feb half term, Dorset for Easter, and either Northumberland or Anglesey in the summer.

Iceland will probably be our first overseas holiday since the Before Time's - October half term we think, fly from Birmingham, airb'nb in Rekjavik.

I'd rather lick my own arse than sit on a beach for two weeks...

I really don't understand the travel guidance on the government website. Asking for the OH who's travelling in from Brazil on Sunday (not fully vaccinated).

Before you travel to England – not fully vaccinated​

Before you travel to England you must:
  • take a COVID-19 test – to be taken in the 2 days before you travel to England

What does "in the 2 days mean"? Does that mean within 48 hours of the first flight, or any time "in the 2 days" before. Because reading that literally means it would be fine to take a PCR on a Friday afternoon, for a flight on Sunday evening. But that technically falls outside of 48 hours. But it doesn't say "48 hours"

I don't trust how vague it is. Can anyone advise?

Bahnhof Strasse

When to take your test​

You must take the test in the 2 days before your service to England departs.

For example, if you travel directly to England on Friday, you could take a test any time on the Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. The test result must be available for boarding.

If your journey to England is a multi-leg journey, you can take the test in the 2 days before the start of the first leg.

I really don't understand the travel guidance on the government website. Asking for the OH who's travelling in from Brazil on Sunday (not fully vaccinated).

What does "in the 2 days mean"? Does that mean within 48 hours of the first flight, or any time "in the 2 days" before. Because reading that literally means it would be fine to take a PCR on a Friday afternoon, for a flight on Sunday evening. But that technically falls outside of 48 hours. But it doesn't say "48 hours"

Bahnhof Strasse
There is a further link on the site to this
Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing before you travel to England , and it says specifically (my bold)
"You must take the test in the 2 days before your service to England departs.

For example, if you travel directly to England on Friday, you could take a test any time on the Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. The test result must be available for boarding.

If your journey to England is a multi-leg journey, you can take the test in the 2 days before the start of the first leg"

So imu can be slightly outside a 48 hour window. But maybe someone with more practical experience will be along to clarify.
It's certainly always a bit nail-biting, travelling under covid rules and wondering how to apply them; best of luck!

wrt 'needing a holiday': Do I actually need one? Not so much, Covid angst and travel restrictions (or the lack of) would make it stressful enough for me to not want to do it.
GF and I spoke about it the other day - we do need something to break the routine and to look forward to. It's a bit tedious for us both atm, the same thing day in, day out. Work, child care, trying not to catch covid. We are bored of it and could do with something else....

There is a further link on the site to this
Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing before you travel to England , and it says specifically (my bold)
"You must take the test in the 2 days before your service to England departs.

If your journey to England is a multi-leg journey, you can take the test in the 2 days before the start of the first leg"

So imu can be slightly outside a 48 hour window. But maybe someone with more practical experience will be along to clarify.
It's certainly always a bit nail-biting, travelling under covid rules and wondering how to apply them; best of luck!

Ah thats very helpful. Thank you. :thumbs:

I wish they'd have just made this clearer on the main page!

Bahnhof Strasse

In the two days prior to travel, so flying from Brazil at 5pm Wednesday, you may take the antigen test anytime from 0001 Monday. Doesn't have to be a PCR test.

Thanks Bahnhof. Do you still advise a PCR test to be safe or is an antigen one fine now?

Antigen is fine, it's cheaper (£15 vs £50) and comes through in under 30 minutes, rather than 24 hours. Some unscrupulous people says if it's positive you can keep taking them until you get a negative, which you will...

wrt 'needing a holiday': Do I actually need one? Not so much, Covid angst and travel restrictions (or the lack of) would make it stressful enough for me to not want to do it.

Not having been abroad for two years, it's easy to forget there's actually a fair bit of "work" in planning travel. Currently I'm getting things organised for a trip to Europe, and there's certainly a mild level of stress about making sure I don't fall foul of any Covid regulations. What would normally be pretty straightforward involves checking the rules for crossing 5 different country/country border combinations, with a slight worry that any of them might change during the time I'm on the move.

Not having been abroad for two years, it's easy to forget there's actually a fair bit of "work" in planning travel. Currently I'm getting things organised for a trip to Europe, and there's certainly a mild level of stress about making sure I don't fall foul of any Covid regulations. What would normally be pretty straightforward involves checking the rules for crossing 5 different country/country border combinations, with a slight worry that any of them might change during the time I'm on the move.
I went to Europe in Dec and the build up to the actual journey was well stressful. Still, we got there and back.

I went to Europe in Dec and the build up to the actual journey was well stressful. Still, we got there and back.
A couple of people who've travelled recently have told me that having stressed quite a bit about getting all the paperwork in order, in practice they were waved through various border controls without anyone seeming to care very much.

A couple of people who've travelled recently have told me that having stressed quite a bit about getting all the paperwork in order, in practice they were waved through various border controls without anyone seeming to care very much.

This is very much the case for many places, but you still need all the documentation as of course anything you don't have will be demanded...

Perhaps approach it as seeing that a holiday is not 'a thing', rather that it's whatever you want it to be.

I've got a mate who lives in the Mess, single, no kids, and his holiday is booking a cottage in the middle of nowhere, driving up with a pile of books & some recipes he wants to try, and barely leaving the house. He's perfectly happy if it pisses it down for a fortnight...

We're going to Norfolk for Feb half term, Dorset for Easter, and either Northumberland or Anglesey in the summer.

Iceland will probably be our first overseas holiday since the Before Time's - October half term we think, fly from Birmingham, airb'nb in Rekjavik.

I'd rather lick my own arse than sit on a beach for two weeks...
Yeah, that's good advice. I've certainly never found the beach holiday thing appealing, and I'd much rather do something that involves activity, or discovering something. I do have the slight advantage that I don't have to worry about family holiday type stuff, so I can pretty much please myself, which probably translates into more basic accommodation, much simpler travel logistics, and a lot more flexibility about what I do when I get there. I quite enjoy those YouTube channels where someone goes off and explores somewhere, and, TBH, there's quite a lot of places in the UK where I could do that. But I do like France, so going and visiting bits of that which I haven't previously done (I've really only "done" Brittany) does appeal - I speak the language a bit, and I like the culture.

And I do rather like the idea of going off somewhere on my own, and making whatever connections I make while I'm there - I don't mind sitting in a bar on my own and chatting to strangers, or just rocking up somewhere and seeing what happens.

existentialist I had a holiday on my own - kids and Mrs K went on holiday with her family - a couple of years ago, it was absolutely great, and one of the things I enjoyed enormously was just chatting to random folk I met. I had a lovely chat with a woman on a bus, all the way from Berwick-upon-Tweed to Alnwick.

Never met her before, never will again. It was just 'nice'.

General advice is that you need to be flexible, so that if situations/rules change or for example you get COVID, you can adapt eg paying for extra tests, accommodation, new travel tickets. If you HAVE to be somewhere on an exact date, this can get stressful.
Have a safe and enjoyable trip

I think I've said on here before that I'm a city breaker. One or two nights somewhere, on my own doing tourist stuff and hopefully finding an interesting bar in the evenings.

For that little amount of time it's been totally off the table to do that abroad for me since COVID and I've done it in this country when it's been allowed.

I am sort of thinking that I may be able to do it with no testing (depending on the country) soon. But I'm thinking June and not even going to start planning until late April.

Last edited:
Has the airline not been in touch? they will be checking the test certificate. I found Air France were very clear with what was required

Not specifically, but LATAM are fairly useless about that kind of thing IME. She got a lateral flow test done earlier from Araujo and a negative certificate in English and Portuguese for the Sunday evening flight. I've given her the UK govt travel advice links above in case anyone needs to check too. Hopefully that'll be alright 🤞

Update. It was fine in the end.

However she did have to produce the UK government website with the 'within 2 days of departure' wording to refute the airline official who insisted that the negative antigen test was only valid for 24 hours. It really is annoying having to make sure you're more informed than the people whose job it is to actually know these things.

A lot of people on twitter saying everywhere else will now refuse to have Brits because of the removal of isolation, though I'd imagine insisting on a test before travel would probably be more in their interests than an outright ban. But depends how bad it gets here, I suppose...

Yes that's mine and friends experience. Everyone is bored of all the form checking.
If there was some dangerous variant rising up then it would be really important and then why not just close the borders?

Does anyone have experience getting a PCR test at an airport? They say up to 3hr turnaround time, so it's a bit of a ballache to arrive that early but I have an afternoon flight so it is possible. It seems more reliable than trying to get one delivered that I need to take within 48hrs of flight and then get the result for.

Back
Top Bottom