Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you disapprove of people who are planning an overseas holiday this summer?

Is planning an overseas holiday this summer the right thing to do

• Yes - I’m already booked and will go away regardless of the rules

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I’d be booked if the testing regime was more relaxed

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I would like a holiday abroad but not until Covid restrictions are over

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • No they’re selfish bastards thinking only of themselves

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • NA - I always holiday within the UK

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • What’s a holiday? I work 400 days a year down the mines

Votes: 25 18.4%

• Total voters
Hi everyone. Any recommendations for a 2 day PCR test when I arrive back in the UK early Jan? I was going to use Dante again, but see they are under investigation.
I used a Randox home test kit bought from Co-op Pharmacy online and delivered next day for about £45. That’ll go down soon now that Amazon are doing them for £35. No complaints, arrived on time, easy to do. I just stuck the completed test in one of their drop-boxes yesterday (same locations as on Harry’s map) and got an email last night saying the test was being done and the result emailed to me today.

One of the blokes who travelled with me got his done yesterday morning at a clinic (pre-booked) for 80 quid and got the result straight away, but he wanted to go back to work on-site today.

Last edited:
I'm all for careless, selfish people feeling the cold winds of consequence blowing through them, but these quarantine hotels are exploitative and abusive, and even if some of those ending up in them warrant such treatment, it's unhelpful and counterproductive - it's just the system gaming people...so no wonder people then feel entitled to game the system.

And, for those who, for whatever reason, find themselves trapped in a situation where they have to fork over thousands to Johnson's cronies, just to be treated like mugs and suckers, because by bad luck or circumstance they needed to travel...I have nothing but contempt for a system that aims to profit from their distress.
Fair point

Thanks everyone for your suggestions for the day 2 test. Against better judgement went with Amazon as Mr SB had a voucher that needed using up. I'll report back in January!

I am seeing this as a positive, i sense that the gloommongers here may not :(
What do you mean by "gloommongers"? :hmm:
Yeah, just so long as you get your holiday in March, and screw everyone else.

You're not covering yourself in glory here. I've been gently taking the piss out of your attitude for as long as you've been posting on this thread, and it's patently clear now that you're not interested in thinking about anything except your own narrow self-interest.

France is banning residents of Plague Island. My neighbours were due to go skiing on Sunday so that's a shame for them. They'd been self isolating at home for the last week to avoid infection before they went.

But they knew that booking any foreign travel was uncertain

Does it apply to French passport holders as well?
There is a bit of detail here:

The French prime minister's office said that from Saturday travellers would have to give a compelling reason for coming to France.

All arrivals will have to provide a negative Covid test less than 24 hours old and isolate for at least two days.

Confirmed Omicron cases are currently much higher in the UK than in France.

French citizens, their partners and children, legal residents, and EU citizens travelling home through France, won't need an essential reason to travel - but must still abide by all other rules.

Yes it is, just seems slightly weird to be seeing that a massive and rapid peak where likely thousands of people will die, the public health systems risks being over-whelmed and other associated risks, as a positive so you can go on holiday in March tbh!
The hospitals are full of anti-vaxers. It's time to discharge the unvaxed with some morphine for home palliative care.

Why should those people be able to screw up my hard earned holiday!

:D

Seriously, the problem in the hospitals is currently anti-vaxers. There will come a point when they will need to be triaged home to die.

France is banning residents of Plague Island. My neighbours were due to go skiing on Sunday so that's a shame for them. They'd been self isolating at home for the last week to avoid infection before they went.

I'm due to fly to Paris (from Brazil) on the 26th. Fortunately I've not been on plague island since the start of all this. I really hope I can make the trip

How does it work for people who fail to meet the criteria will they be stopped at the French side of the border and made to go home? or will be it down to the check-in clerk at the ariport or St Pancras Int'l to decide?
Admittedly it was pre-Brexit and pre-Covid but the last time I went to France it was on a booze cruise and the only place I showed my passport was the huge booze warehouse in Calais
Does it apply to French passport holders as well?
From the Beeb story, French citizens, their partners and children, legal residents, and EU citizens travelling home through France, won't need an essential reason to travel - but must still abide by all other rules.
Sounds fair in principal but it means French people can come here catch it and take it back with them.

The hospitals are full of anti-vaxers. It's time to discharge the unvaxed with some morphine for home palliative care.

Why should those people be able to screw up my hard earned holiday!

:D

Seriously, the problem in the hospitals is currently anti-vaxers. There will come a point when they will need to be triaged home to die.
TBF, the problem in the hospitals is currently "people who have not been vaccinated". Not all of them will be antivaxxers - some will be people who can't, for some reason, receive the vaccine.

And I think that getting into distinguishing between the two would be a potential nightmare. Much as I believe, like you, that those who have chosen not to be vaccinated for selfish and/or ignorant reasons ought to be face the consequences of that choice.

What do you reckon will other countries copy France’s lead and ban us or is the French thing personal / fish related to some extent. Seems to me most likely others will follow suit within days.

Back
Top Bottom