Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you disapprove of people who are planning an overseas holiday this summer?

Is planning an overseas holiday this summer the right thing to do

• Yes - I’m already booked and will go away regardless of the rules

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I’d be booked if the testing regime was more relaxed

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I would like a holiday abroad but not until Covid restrictions are over

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • No they’re selfish bastards thinking only of themselves

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • NA - I always holiday within the UK

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • What’s a holiday? I work 400 days a year down the mines

Votes: 25 18.4%

• Total voters
This survey says that a majority of people questioned think it's wrong that the gov's made it easier to travel.
I can't help wondering whether people say this motivated by safety concerns or because they kind of resent the holidayers, for non-covid reasons. idk.

I think that a great number of people are watching most of the decisions the government are making, and wringing their hands despairingly. I know I am.

I think that a great number of people are watching most of the decisions the government are making, and wringing their hands despairingly. I know I am.
Sure. But also a quarter of brits apparently said that they'd like to see nightclubs close forever . Lockdowns and covid regulations have revealed some interesting stuff i think around resentment.

It's hard to know the true numbers of cases, because not much testing is being done, and whilst they are leading Africa on vaccination, it's still only around 17.5% of the population that are fully vaccinated.

But, IIRC, the main concern is over the beta variant, and checking, it seems South African scientists have detected yet another new variant with multiple mutations*, so 'variants' are probably the reason for caution.

I'm aware Beta was the reason. But we're drowning in Delta!
Not good about a new variant, weird SA seems to be a regular developer of new variants.
I'm not necessarily for opening up but in the context of how the virus is being allowed to rip through schools, finding it hard that I can't see my family.

Not good about a new variant, weird SA seems to be a regular developer of new variants.
Suggest you look at a table of countries with the highest incidence rates of HIV/AIDS and the answer becomes all too sadly obvious.

(Prolonged infection in the immunocompromised long since established to be a near-ideal incubator for new variants of concern).

Suggest you look at a table of countries with the highest incidence rates of HIV/AIDS and the answer becomes all too sadly obvious.

(Prolonged infection in the immunocompromised long since established to be a near-ideal incubator for new variants of concern).
I have been surprised at how low the death rates have been considering how much of the population is HIV positive.

I am struggling to get irate about taking holidays abroad during Covid. At least having any more disapproval than I always feel about air travel or negative effects of tourism in general. My daughter spent a week camping in a field in Suffolk which resulted in all of us having to quarantine and test for days on end. Either we are all still staying totally socially distanced all the time...or we are not. I can't really see much difference whether this is because we are loitering in Morrisons or loafing round a pool in Portugal.
Not that I ever go anywhere further than east Anglia anyway, tbh.
If anything, I would, feel rather more peeved at holidaying Brits if I lived in some touristy overseas place.

I'm hearing that the US is going to open back up to vaccinated UK and EU travelers from November.

That's interesting. I wouldn't blame any country for not wanting to permit visitors from Plague Island but its not like the US have managed to contain the virus.

That's interesting. I wouldn't blame any country for not wanting to permit visitors from Plague Island but its not like the US have managed to contain the virus.

Well it was more ridiculous that for months it was seemingly fine with loads of Latin American countries with far worse covid/vaccination rates coming in, but not the UK/EU

"From November" is so vague though. I'm ready to book a flight now. The prices are already going up but I'm not booking something without a firm date.

Loads of countries have similar requirements. As LDC says it's about checkability. Someone turning up in Frankfurt with a handwritten note from a doctor in Addis Ababa would have problems too.
What do you think is this still fine (two months later)?
Exactly the same vaccine but if you got it in India or S America you have to quarantine, if you got it in australia you don't.

"Under the new rules, travellers fully vaccinated with Oxford/AstraZeneca, Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna or Janssen shots in the US, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea or an EU country will be considered “fully vaccinated” and exempt from quarantine when they arrive in England from an amber list country. But people who have been fully vaccinated with the same vaccines in Africa or Latin America, as well as other countries including India, will be considered “not fully vaccinated” and forced to quarantine for 10 days on arrival from an amber list country."

"wider considerations''? Politics and economics, they took over from Science a long time ago (well from the start really under this fucking shit government)

It's xenophobia rather than racism, non-EU European nationals also are not accepted, EU nationals with the Sputnik vaccine also are not accepted. Whilst it is clearly discriminatory, perhaps there is something to do with the countries that are accepted being able to offer a more fraud-proof method of verifying your vaccination status? There would be howls of outrage if the UK allowed everyone in who could prove vaccination status with just a bit of card that you can buy off ebay, such as the CDC cards that are acceptable from Americans...

Even though the rules have changed here that make it easier to go away without the stress of testing, we were considering it again but there's still so much uncertainty. It's OK now, but what about in a few months, especially going into winter - for our restrictions plus wherever we'd go. Even booking a eurostar to Paris for a couple of days over Xmas was too much for us!

And looking at reviews for hotels here, kind of seems like the standard of customer service is (understandably) dropping everywhere... burnt out and fed up staff, shortages, higher demand...

So anyone up for a laugh as I regale you all with my adventure in trying to have a long weekend away? My g/f and I love going away, its our great passion and outside of covid times we'll probably go abroad 5 or 6 times a year. This was our first attempt since all this awful crap started.

We chose Albania as its a country we're familiar with. Its far enough south to still get decent sunshine in late September and it has a decent coastline plus there was no covid entry requirements and its currently amber listed with the UK traffic light nonsense.

Getting out there was fine. Heathrow was busy but not crowded and the plane was probably only 1/3 full if that, so plenty of space. Amusingly BA tried to de-board the plane in small groups so people didn't crowd the aisle, admirable but not much use when you then get crammed in with all the other passengers onto a small bus for the stupidly short journey to the terminal.

Whilst we were out there it was really good, the sun shone all the time and it was a very outdoors holiday. No masks worn but it didn't matter because even the indoor spaces were only nominally indoors as big bi-fold doors were open all around most buildings we went in. The only real covid measure we saw was an 11pm curfew which seemed to be well observed and didn't need policing beyond a few police cars driving around gently beeping the horn. The real fun started on the way home. It was actually really nice to escape thinking about covid the whole time even if we were deceiving ourselves. It felt like normal and it was wonderful because of that.

Paid for a PCR test at the airport (35 euros a pop). Whilst I have no doubt it was a proper test the swab taken was the most cursory swab in one nostril and that was it. I don't think anyone was going to test positive and it was nothing but a tick box exercise. The check-in staff sort of checked the test result and passenger locator form but were pretty disinterested.

Security and passport control were a nightmare. Huge crowds crammed into a tiny airless space. No masks obviously. After an hour of that we were resigned to our fate of joining the delta club. Things didn't get much better on the plane as it was completly full and there was a mass of maskless children swirling around the plane.

Things really got to there worst though when we arrived back at Heathrow. For reasons known only to them we were corralled into a corridor with passengers from several other flights including passengers who went on to have to declare they needed to red zone quarantine, that was a nice touch. I don't know why we were made to mass in the corridor because passport control was largely empty. Still the 10 minutes we spent in the corridor with hundreds of other people certainly gave the virus a much needed boost.

Got home on Sunday. So, we had done the PCR in Albania on Sunday morning, we then did a LFT on Monday and second one on Tuesday. Surprisingly all clear. Did the compulsory day 2 private PCR test, to great amazement also negative. Wednesday we got the inevitable ping from track and trace because the plane was a covid infested cesspit, queue another negative LFT. Didn't have to self-isolate because we are double vaccinated but do have to do an NHS PCR test which I've just done this morning and its now with Royal Mail.

So, what have we learned from all this? It ain't worth it for a couple of nights away. We went for 3 nights and I reckon that's the bare minimum. Since Sunday morning I have done in total 6 tests. Airports and airplanes are in no way "covid safe" whether this in country or abroad. The measures the UK government have put in place regarding international travel are nothing but piss poor theatre that does nothing to keep the country safe but a few people are making a lot of money from it. The art of being seen to be doing something whilst not actually doing anything worthwhile at all.

The last thing we learnt from all this is that our vaccines were put through the fire and they seemed to have kept us safe, probably (so far anyway). 🤷‍♂️

Ha, India just announced ‘reciprocity’ in response to the Uk’s rules for arrivals from there (basically we will also all be treated as if we aren’t vaccinated, ten days quarantine etc) .

Most of these travel restrictions have always been nakedly political. Just screwing over people who work in the travel industry, destroying livelihoods and doing sweet FA to stop the spread of covid and keep people safe.

Anyway, I thought the Johnson's lot did a reverse ferret on this: Covishield: UK recognises Covid jab after India outcry

Just to counter Teaboy 's experience, I got back from 10 days in Malta a couple of weeks ago. Flights both ways were busy but Easyjet to their credit were absolutely shit hot at mask enforcement on the plane. Chin masks were told to get up over noses pronto and they'd only let you off wearing one if you had a doctors note. Going out from Gatwick was fine - not busy and minimal queues. Airport at Malta was very busy and it looks us about 1.5 hours to get through passport control etc, but that was more to do with the fact we weren't able to go through the EU gate :rolleyes: eyes: Even though it was busy everyone was wearing masks.

In Malta itself everyone wore masks inside and on public transport as standard. Felt very safe and in fairness loads of stuff is outside because of the weather. To fly back we got a private LFT easily and then booked PCR for Day 2 on return. Gatwick on our return was an absolute piece of piss - we were out of the airport within 30 minutes from landing and that included waiting for luggage.

It was much less bad than I had feared. I had assumed we'd get pinged on return but we haven't. All in all a good experience and would recommend Easyjet again on that basis. Tbh I don't think I would want all the hassle for a weekend away but if I was going somewhere for a week I would definitely do it now as things stand.

We had a basketball team on our packed easyJet flight back from Portugal, lots of below the nose/chin going on, and some removing masks completely once the plane landed despite nobody getting off for ten minutes. Saw no enforcement.

We had a basketball team on our packed easyJet flight back from Portugal, lots of below the nose/chin going on, and some removing masks completely once the plane landed despite nobody getting off for ten minutes. Saw no enforcement.
Interesting. Maybe it’s to do with particular flight crews.

Most of these travel restrictions have always been nakedly political. Just screwing over people who work in the travel industry, destroying livelihoods and doing sweet FA to stop the spread of covid and keep people safe.

Anyway, I thought the Johnson's lot did a reverse ferret on this: Covishield: UK recognises Covid jab after India outcry

Just to counter Teaboy 's experience, I got back from 10 days in Malta a couple of weeks ago. Flights both ways were busy but Easyjet to their credit were absolutely shit hot at mask enforcement on the plane. Chin masks were told to get up over noses pronto and they'd only let you off wearing one if you had a doctors note. Going out from Gatwick was fine - not busy and minimal queues. Airport at Malta was very busy and it looks us about 1.5 hours to get through passport control etc, but that was more to do with the fact we weren't able to go through the EU gate :rolleyes: eyes: Even though it was busy everyone was wearing masks.

In Malta itself everyone wore masks inside and on public transport as standard. Felt very safe and in fairness loads of stuff is outside because of the weather. To fly back we got a private LFT easily and then booked PCR for Day 2 on return. Gatwick on our return was an absolute piece of piss - we were out of the airport within 30 minutes from landing and that included waiting for luggage.

It was much less bad than I had feared. I had assumed we'd get pinged on return but we haven't. All in all a good experience and would recommend Easyjet again on that basis. Tbh I don't think I would want all the hassle for a weekend away but if I was going somewhere for a week I would definitely do it now as things stand.

I thought the requirement to test before returning had been scrapped now.

Is that not the case?

I'm pretty relaxed about the bonfire of the red zone countries as I don't think the list as it was is actually doing anything to keep anyone safe. I am a bit more bothered with this push to get rid of the day 2 PCR test and replace it with a LFT.

The day 2 PCR at least gave the chance to monitor new variants that are coming into the country. An LFT in this context is basically no better then no test at all.

Back
Top Bottom