Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you disapprove of people who are planning an overseas holiday this summer?

Is planning an overseas holiday this summer the right thing to do

• Yes - I’m already booked and will go away regardless of the rules

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I’d be booked if the testing regime was more relaxed

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I would like a holiday abroad but not until Covid restrictions are over

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • No they’re selfish bastards thinking only of themselves

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • NA - I always holiday within the UK

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • What’s a holiday? I work 400 days a year down the mines

Votes: 25 18.4%

• Total voters
Yes I know.
Do you think the current rules are in any way rational?
I can’t think of a single way in which it makes sense that you have to quarantine, only not if you got jabbed in the Uk.

I have spent the past 18 months interpreting lawyer speak from all the countries on earth that have Covid entry rules. They are all a total fucking mess that are clearly made up on the hoof, cos that’s what they are. The U.K. government, shitheads that they are have not been any more mental than Germany, France, Switzerland or anywhere else during all of this. Am struggling to think of a single country that has had a coherent policy regarding travel.

With regards to U.K. jabs allowed in first, they wanted to make sure they could check U.K. vaxed folk could have paperwork processed and then look at how to process non-U.K. paperwork once that was working. Which IMO is sensible.

I have spent the past 18 months interpreting lawyer speak from all the countries on earth that have Covid entry rules. They are all a total fucking mess that are clearly made up on the hoof, cos that’s what they are. The U.K. government, shitheads that they are have not been any more mental than Germany, France, Switzerland or anywhere else during all of this. Am struggling to think of a single country that has had a coherent policy regarding travel.

Germany is a proper fuck-bucket. Absolutely bonkers.

But they do accept PCR test results in Italian!

The EU and Schengen / EEA nations have had a political edge to to it as well, from 1st January they have been pressured to make things hard for UK arrivals whilst keeping their borders open to EU arrivals, regardless of the science. Making it tricksy for UK arrivals is easy, but keeping your borders open to arrivals purely to make a point about political unity has killed thousands in places such as Spain, yet Austria, Denmark and so on have sensibly said "Fuck that" and kept closing their borders to the EU as well as everyone else.

Yes I know.
Do you think the current rules are in any way rational?
I can’t think of a single way in which it makes sense that you have to quarantine, only not if you got jabbed in the Uk.

Because someone turning up with some vaccination certificate in another language and format, and then someone at the border trying to make sense of whether it's official and genuine is a massively complex and time consuming issue, and it's easier just to say no and limit it to a few options.

Private Chinese clinic certificate, different vaccination time gap, maybe different vaccine mix, in Mandarin. "Here ya go, will you accept that?"

Because someone turning up with some vaccination certificate in another language and format, and then someone at the border trying to make sense of whether it's official and genuine is a massively complex and time consuming issue, and it's easier just to say no and limit it to a few options.

Private Chinese clinic certificate, different vaccination time gap, maybe different vaccine mix, in Mandarin. "Here ya go, will you accept that?"

With English being the global lingua franca it is not really a big ask here.

On mental policies; Trump decreed in March 2020 that non-US citizens/green card holder arrivals from the Schengen zone would be banned, then followed that with UK/Common Travel Area. This is still in place. You can get a National Interest Exemption visa if your visit will be beneficial to the US national interest, oddly that has included race hate scum like Farage and Hopkins. They have never blocked access from Mexico, so if you can't get in with any of the above you can sit on a beach in Cabo for 2 weeks and push on to LA. Mexico has had no entry restrictions at all. This has been a feature of Mexico's response: Covid Explodes in Cancun, Los Cabos as New Wave Hits Mexico

It’s the not needing to quarantine just cos I got my jabs in Uk that I am questioning.

I’m kind of curious do you know if anyone else has the same thing - quarantine for all unless you got vaccines from there?

Bahnhof Strasse is your man on that but I would have thought so. It makes a lot of sense. They need to be sure that the program that people have been vaccinated under meets UK standards. The way to do that initially is to only fully open up to those who've been vaccinated in the UK.

I’m happy of course, that I don’t have to sit in my house for ten days. Only realised day before yesterday that it’s not so. Upon 17th close reading of Gov website.

Italy has blanket quarantine for all arrivals from the U.K. including Italians, regardless of vaccination status.

Most countries have not yet acted to include vaccination status in their terms for entry though, so what bimble is asking for can’t really be answered as most countries don’t care if you are vaccinated or not. This situation is changing daily.

Bahnhof Strasse is your man on that but I would have thought so. It makes a lot of sense. They need to be sure that the program that people have been vaccinated under meets UK standards. The way to do that initially is to only fully open up to those who've been vaccinated in the UK.

Yeah - brexit means mutual recognition of vaccine approvals cant happen. Pre-brexit any vaccine approved for use in eu would have been legal for the uk to recognise. These days the UK has to make its own assessment.

Back
Top Bottom