Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you disapprove of people who are planning an overseas holiday this summer?

Is planning an overseas holiday this summer the right thing to do

• Yes - I’m already booked and will go away regardless of the rules

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I’d be booked if the testing regime was more relaxed

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I would like a holiday abroad but not until Covid restrictions are over

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • No they’re selfish bastards thinking only of themselves

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • NA - I always holiday within the UK

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • What’s a holiday? I work 400 days a year down the mines

Votes: 25 18.4%

• Total voters
Just got negative tests back for return to UK tests. I would say it's a bit stressful and takes a bit of faffing around, but my kids have had a ball so worth it. Whether I'd feel the same if we were being carted off to a quarantine hotel, is obviously a different matter

People who answered the OP's poll that they disapproved will be please to know I'm cancelling or moving out family trip to Tenerife at the end of August. We are due back the day before the kids go back to school and the fear of testing positive before that, here or there, isn't worth it. Or having the isolate if someone on your plane back tests positive, now I think about it.

For anyone travelling without both jabs, if you are meant to isolate, they will check. We landed at 9:30 last night and Mrs Smiles has just had the kock to make sure's in. I've got friends who arrive back from Ibiza to Manchester last week and needed to isolate and they each got a knock the day after returning

For anyone travelling without both jabs, if you are meant to isolate, they will check. We landed at 9:30 last night and Mrs Smiles has just had the kock to make sure's in. I've got friends who arrive back from Ibiza to Manchester last week and needed to isolate and they each got a knock the day after returning

Do you know who's doing the knocking? Border Force, council 'covid wardens', I assume not the police?

ETA - found the answer, see 2 posts down.

Do you know who's doing the knocking? Border Force, council 'covid wardens', I assume not the police?

ETA - found the answer, see 2 posts down.
I got to be honest, we didn't even look at his ID. It was so obvious that when he asked for my wife by name and said he needed to check she was isolating that he was legit, we showed him ID as requested. It was exactly the same as mates who've had the same, day after arrival, though they said the 'knocker' read a script out, whereas this guy was literally 30 secs and gone

People who answered the OP's poll that they disapproved will be please to know I'm cancelling or moving out family trip to Tenerife at the end of August. We are due back the day before the kids go back to school and the fear of testing positive before that, here or there, isn't worth it. Or having the isolate if someone on your plane back tests positive, now I think about it.
Sorry that you are not going, but I think the stress of having all those worries while there would quite likely have put the mockers on your trip anyway.

Definitely. I have a few friends doing this at the moment. One chose Albania, the other Bulgaria. I like Bulgaria and would be happy spending some time there. As long as there's internet, I can keep working anywhere.

Most of my customers are choosing Croatia, mainly as they are coming from Kenya via the Middle East or the Middle East itself and Qatar Airways has direct flights there. A much nicer prospect than a premier inn!

I got to be honest, we didn't even look at his ID. It was so obvious that when he asked for my wife by name and said he needed to check she was isolating that he was legit, we showed him ID as requested. It was exactly the same as mates who've had the same, day after arrival, though they said the 'knocker' read a script out, whereas this guy was literally 30 secs and gone
To add to this - she's had a phone call today too

My housemate works abroad a bit, before Xmas was in Ireland, had no contact from anyone on return.

In feb they were in Ireland again, had to quarantine over there on arrival and were contacted and visited.

On return to UK we decided they would isolate/quarantine in their room for a couple of weeks. Test n Trace or whoever rang them and said "are you quarantining?" they said yes but pointed out that Ireland was on a list of countries that did not require them to. The person phoning didn't know this (!) and later a manager rang back and confirmed (green list/air corridor bollocks). Talk about shittily organised.

This was just at the time delta variant was being welcomed by the same inept system.

Glad to read that somethings have slightly improved

My housemate works abroad a bit, before Xmas was in Ireland, had no contact from anyone on return.

In feb they were in Ireland again, had to quarantine over there on arrival and were contacted and visited.

On return to UK we decided they would isolate/quarantine in their room for a couple of weeks. Test n Trace or whoever rang them and said "are you quarantining?" they said yes but pointed out that Ireland was on a list of countries that did not require them to. The person phoning didn't know this (!) and later a manager rang back and confirmed (green list/air corridor bollocks). Talk about shittily organised.

This was just at the time delta variant was being welcomed by the same inept system.

Glad to read that somethings have slightly improved
Funny enough my mate was over from Ireland and had the same thing, they turned up 3 times and he had to google the rules and show them to stop them turning up......

Just got my negative test done ready for return to UK. The best bit is that the UK Gov requires this test to be in either English or french or Spanish. Nothing else is acceptable. What a joke of a country.

Funny enough my mate was over from Ireland and had the same thing, they turned up 3 times and he had to google the rules and show them to stop them turning up......
Yeah I can imagine that, housemate sent them a link to the .gov website so they knew the rules about what they were enforcing!

Their trip to Ireland was an eyeopener for them, a proper lockdown, police roadblocks to see and confirm proof of work status.

Glad your holls went well

Just got my negative test done ready for return to UK. The best bit is that the UK Gov requires this test to be in either English or french or Spanish. Nothing else is acceptable. What a joke of a country.
I’ll alert the cashiers at your local supermarket to expect further questioning about Brexit and empty shelves .

Switzerland. The 3 languages rule applies to all tests for travellers from anywhere amber in the world.

In fairness that's probably pretty good. If you tried to submit similar tests to any other governments in a language other than their own, English and perhaps French (the supposed "international language of Diplomacy") I reckon you'd get pretty short shrift.

In fairness that's probably pretty good. If you tried to submit similar tests to any other governments in a language other than their own, English and perhaps French (the supposed "international language of Diplomacy") I reckon you'd get pretty short shrift.
Nah. For example where I am now, it just said bring your test (list of approved types of test) or your proof of vaccine (list of approved vaccines). I think they might be able to translate the word ‘negative’ from more than 2 languages.

Switzerland does have four native languages of its own, would be surprised if they accepted a form in Arabic though.

And Switzerland allows people to enter test free if they have had a Sinovac jab, the one that doesn't work, so it ain't all sunlit uplands over there.

Back
Top Bottom