Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Contact Tracing: Will You Self Isolate? (and related discussion)

Will you self isolate if told to by the tracing team?

• Yes, I will self isolate

Votes: 89 74.8%
  • No, I won't

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 18 15.1%

• Total voters
Yeah, if you're qualified, money's alright. Very good if you do evenings/weekends, which a fair few people won't mind doing atm anyway. Weekend, week day? same difference.
That’s what I was thinking but Mr Looby rightly reminded me that I keep saying how emotionally exhausted I am by my job and as is evidenced on this thread, I suspect some people aren’t going to be very nice to the tracers who call them. 😞

Oh it just gets better. Someone tell me to go and peg my washing out rather than pick holes in governmental computer systems :D Mind you it's good to put my degree to use for a change.

" Contact tracers said that they and many of the their colleagues were feeling unprepared and panicked about the prospect of starting to make calls. Some have resorted to setting up support groups on Facebook and WhatsApp so they can help each other and pool their knowledge. "

We all know how secure Facebook and WhatsApp data is :facepalm: Law of averages says someone will disclose details they shouldn't on there.

They must have been provided with phones and computers. I know Johnson's exploding clown car of a government are all over the place but I can't imagine they're expecting tracers to use their old laptops and home phone.
I very much got the impression from at least one "I trained as a contact tracer" article that you provide your own kit. And the training wasn't up to much, either. It's the 21st century Tory model - self-employed van drivers "renting" their vans, and anyone doing work like this providing the tech to do the job.

My position: No I won’t self isolate if told by the “tracing team”

My reason: I was taught how viruses grow, spread, and mutate years ago by my mother. She was one of a team of very clever bastards who eradicated smallpox globally in the ‘70s.

Government players: Matt Hancock is not an actual doctor. So who cares what he says? Whitty is a doctor but he looks really ill all the time, or should I say he looks under pressure to tow the party line, so he’s a no-no too. The rest are just a joke.

My conclusion: if my mum tells me I need to self isolate, then I’m disappearing underground quick snap. Until then...be as normal as is socially acceptable.
i love this. Also it reminds of a friend's current whatsapp picture. :)

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 14.48.21.png

I can't imagine all the people doing the trace job have been provided with IT equipment which means all the personal data they have access to is on their personal tech. Not ecstatic about the idea of that 😬

They log in through a secure remote desktop.

I mean, I'm working from home and access clients details over a VPN. In theory I could use my personal laptop for that. I think there are concerns about lack of training though.

You reckon? 24,000 of them. In the various reports I've read by people recruited so far there has been no mention of the provision of either a phone or a computer.
There was a recruit I heard on the radio saying the above. They login via a secure link to a remote desktop session. Using their own PC. You need your own computer to take the job.

There are reasons to be conernced, i.e. training but the actual infrastructure to do this isn't novel.

They must have been provided with phones and computers. I know Johnson's exploding clown car of a government are all over the place but I can't imagine they're expecting tracers to use their old laptops and home phone.

As has been said, nope, you use own computer that needs to be of a certain spec. But it's online secure systems you access inc. phone calling system I think rather than using your own landline or mobile.

Last edited:
The non-clinical roles are basically filling forms in for people when they call you rather than them doing it online, not much training needed tbh.

The clinical roles people are for people that are obviously already qualified medically, and then they do a day's training on the systems.

Only just seen that old post from you -- Blimey O'Reilly!!!!!!!! :eek:

Makes my falling drunk onto my left shoulder last Saturday seem like nothing, despite the daily pain since than

Pain now fading thankfully, but slowly! :oops: ... at least it's not a cracked rib**!
**And I've had that as recently as 2017 too -- excess alcohol also involved :oops: .... I think I need to grow up ... :p

“I will if my mum tells me to” :D
i love this. Also it reminds of a friend's current whatsapp picture. :)

View attachment 215384

Yes. I feel fortunate that my mother is an expert in virology and that I can turn to her for guidance.

Also, in a time where most people are cherishing their parents... why would you laugh at me for cherishing mine?

“Tee hee, this tosser has only gone and talked up his own mother’s wisdom and knowledge like he’s proud of her and thankful for being her son or something. What a fucking laughing stock!”

I guess I need to do some lurking here to try to catch the mood. I was obviously way off base.

S

Yes. I feel fortunate that my mother is an expert in virology and that I can turn to her for guidance.

Also, in a time where most people are cherishing their parents... why would you laugh at me for cherishing mine?

“Tee hee, this tosser has only gone and talked up his own mother’s wisdom and knowledge like he’s proud of her and thankful for being her son or something. What a fucking laughing stock!”

I guess I need to do some lurking here to try to catch the mood. I was obviously way off base.

S
Fair play, geezer

My mum shagged Dirk Bogard (it might have been Humphy Bogart; my memory escapes me) behind The Plough pub on Lordship Lane, during an air raid in 1940 (true story).

I always deferred to her when we discussed The Blitz

Or films.

Last edited:
My maternal grandfather was stationed at Bletchley Park during WW2. SAGE still aren’t returning my calls.

Fair play, geezer

My mum shagged Dirk Bogard behind The Plough pub on Lordship Lane, during an air raid in 1940 (true story).

I always deferred to her when we discussed The Blitz. And films.

“Fair play, geezer. Let me see if I can take the piss out of you without you realising”

Was that necessary?

But assuming you're wearing PPE at work? It's not about just 'meeting one' this is for people that have had close contact with people that have tested positive in the community.
Apparently we will be traced through our employer who will decide on the level of exposure we’ve had whether to contact us

Back
Top Bottom