Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Covid related agoraphobia

How do people manage to 'just get on with it' ?

If I go out, say for a walk or for a quick visit to the local shops, I don't feel that unsafe because I have read that the risk of contacting Covid outside, without prolonged contact with other people, is fairly low.

I don't hug or kiss anyone apart from my partner (and the cats :oops: ), wear a mask indoors when going out (and sometimes outdoors), wash my hands after going out and use hand sanitiser and am double-vaxxed. So I just believe/hope the risk is quite low.

I've been out to pubs and restaurants and on public transport, but usually chosen quiet times. I still worry a bit after doing that and wonder if I/we have done the wrong thing. I wouldn't entertain the idea of going to a crowded pub, a cinema, a theatre, or a gig, and have mainly avoided going in other people's houses. When I do, I need to know they're vaccinated.

I hate the idea of getting Covid, because of the uncertainty of it and its possible long-term effects, but as a seasoned hypochondriac I don't worry about it any more than getting other serious diseases.

Until quite recently, I was crossing the road all the time to avoid people but then I read about the chances of getting it from a passer-by, outside, are small. This time last year, when cases were very high and the vaccine rollout hadn't started, I was even wearing a mask when going for a walk around my local area.

A lot of my family and friends have been much more gung-ho about going out to gigs, in cars with people etc. and I think that's risky behaviour, but then I am cautious.

That's how I've coped. I think it's a happy-ish medium of weighing up the risks, and taking ones I think are reasonable risks.

All the best with it. And look forward to seeing you and buscador at some point when this is over/better.

Another thing to bear in mind is that whilst panic attacks and acute anxiety feel unpleasant they're completely harmless; a physiological response designed to help and protect you, albeit (temporarily) firing at inappropriate times.
As someone who is heavily medicated for anxiety atm...

I had an anxiety related seizure a short time ago and have since been stopped from driving, swimming etc.

Your input is pointless and unhelpful to this situation so please desist.

As someone who is heavily medicated for anxiety atm...

I had an anxiety related seizure a short time ago and have since been stopped from driving, swimming etc.

Your input is pointless and unhelpful to this situation so please desist.
I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm don't intend to pursue the issue; I've recommended the books that hundreds of thousands have found helpful; people are free to agree or disagree with Dr Weekes' ideas.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm don't intend to pursue the issue; I've recommended the books that hundreds of thousands have found helpful; people are free to agree or disagree with Dr Weekes' ideas.
I have found lots of books helpful/enjoyable over the years. Tend not to advise people that mental health issues are 'harmless' though. That would be callous and insulting...

I have found lots of books helpful/enjoyable over the years. Tend not to advise people that mental health issues are 'harmless' though. That would be callous and insulting...
That's not the intention. As I said, I don't think I've conveyed it very well, but an important strand of her work is the relief sufferers get from understanding that, in a physiological sense, the symptoms of anxiety are harmless (if unpleasant) for the overwhelming majority of people.

Athos - you are in a hole, stop digging. Whatever you intention is - please just stop.

By the way I've just connected Dr Weekes wrote the 6 word mantra: face, accept, float, let time pass - from her book Self-Help for Your Nerves written ages ago and is the basis of ACT modern acceptance and commitment therapy that I have begun exploring online. So thanks for that recommendation (I'm not good at recalling names) but like you said, you didn't convey that very well.

Last edited:
If I go out, say for a walk or for a quick visit to the local shops, I don't feel that unsafe because I have read that the risk of contacting Covid outside, without prolonged contact with other people, is fairly low.

I don't hug or kiss anyone apart from my partner (and the cats :oops: ), wear a mask indoors when going out (and sometimes outdoors), wash my hands after going out and use hand sanitiser and am double-vaxxed. So I just believe/hope the risk is quite low.

I've been out to pubs and restaurants and on public transport, but usually chosen quiet times. I still worry a bit after doing that and wonder if I/we have done the wrong thing. I wouldn't entertain the idea of going to a crowded pub, a cinema, a theatre, or a gig, and have mainly avoided going in other people's houses. When I do, I need to know they're vaccinated.

I hate the idea of getting Covid, because of the uncertainty of it and its possible long-term effects, but as a seasoned hypochondriac I don't worry about it any more than getting other serious diseases.

Until quite recently, I was crossing the road all the time to avoid people but then I read about the chances of getting it from a passer-by, outside, are small. This time last year, when cases were very high and the vaccine rollout hadn't started, I was even wearing a mask when going for a walk around my local area.

A lot of my family and friends have been much more gung-ho about going out to gigs, in cars with people etc. and I think that's risky behaviour, but then I am cautious.

That's how I've coped. I think it's a happy-ish medium of weighing up the risks, and taking ones I think are reasonable risks.

All the best with it. And look forward to seeing you and buscador at some point when this is over/better.
Thanks that is helpful to me.

Athos - you are in a hole, stop digging. Whatever you intention is - please just stop.

By the way I've just connected Dr Weekes wrote the 6 word mantra: face, accept, float, let time pass - from her book Self-Help for Your Nerves written ages ago and is the basis of ACT modern acceptance and commitment therapy that I have begun exploring online. So thanks for that recommendation (I'm not good at recalling names) but like you said, you didn't convey that very well.
No probs. Hope it helps.

By the way I am one of those people whose life was transformed by reading Dr Weekes.

Having been too agoraphobic to do basically anything for around a decade and a half, I'm still agoraphobic but I now have a job, a social life and am a performing musician (well I did, but other things got in the way, but that's a different story).

Interesting thread. I'm double-vaxxed, will keep up with my boosters, and so don't feel too much at risk from covid. I can however be socially anxious - have enjoyed working from home, etc - and it does bother me that I might have to go back to spending more time in the office. (I think this is quite common; I know a few people who I suspect are the same way.)

How is everyone? is it just me who remains ridiculously anxious of catching covid?

I've given up work now too because of anxiety. The abandoning of all covid restrictions isn't going to help.

How is everyone? is it just me who remains ridiculously anxious of catching covid?

I've given up work now too because of anxiety. The abandoning of all covid restrictions isn't going to help.
Similar to my post above, except that:
  • I went to a crowded pub at the end of November - not heaving, shoulder - shoulder, standing room only crowded, but all the tables were occupied and it was busy. This was to meet with close family, otherwise I wouldn't.
  • Hardly went out at all from then until about the end of Janaury, as Omicron hit, so nearly all my going out was short walks/gardening.
  • Now going out a bit more but still masking in shops, sanitising/washing hands etc. I don't worry about it, but still want to avoid Covid if I can.

I do think most people are going to get it eventually, and the majority will be fine. We're in so much better a place now than in March 2020 when there was no vaccine, we knew less about transmission etc.

Abandoning restrictions is a stupid idea, one of the most stupid this government have come up with and that's saying something. The evidence is that mask-wearing, sanitising and distancing where possible does help to prevent transmission. I think a lot of people will see that, and continue to do it.

Sorry to hear you're still anxious, and about the job. Take care x

- edited to remove personal stuff -

I'm thinking about a private therapist - but I am reluctant to this do partly on principal and partly because I fear it won't work at great expensive. But what type of therapy could work? Can anyone tell me what has worked in their own experience or recommend someone? I can only see someone online.

Last edited:
Can you set yourself a plan of going out to do things that you consider low risk, and just very gradually moving on to things you feel are a little bit more risky?

Can you set yourself a plan of going out to do things that you consider low risk, and just very gradually moving on to things you feel are a little bit more risky?
yes thats sort of what I'm doing already - only doing 'low risk' stuff.

It's how to move on to doing the things that feel more risky - ie moving into enclosed spaces and proximity with unmasked people who may well be covid infected. All the things I we all used to take for granted before this pandemic.Thats the bit I cant get my head around, that's the bit I'd like some help with.

I'm going to pieces at the very thought of getting on a bus for example. I don't feel like me wearing an ordinary cloth mask will stop me becoming infected if an infected person insists on geting too close and breathing on me. Theres no 'gradually' in facing that. Now all the restrictions are lifted it will be impossible to get around that possibility.

It's how to move on to doing the things that feel more risky - ie moving into enclosed spaces and proximity with unmasked people who may well be covid infected. All the things I we all used to take for granted before this pandemic.Thats the bit I cant get my head around, that's the bit I'd like some help with.

I'm going to pieces at the very thought of getting on a bus for example. I don't feel like me wearing an ordinary cloth mask will stop me becoming infected if an infected person insists on geting too close and breathing on me. Theres no 'gradually' in facing that. Now all the restrictions are lifted it will be impossible to get around that possibility.
Are you just using the surgical masks?
Have you thought about using FFP2/3 masks instead?
I have been using FFP2s and so far so good (I work in small unventilated venues), in fact I am planning on using them forever now as I used to catch 2 or 3 bugs every autumn and spring through work before Covid.
It isn't a magic bullet but it might help alleviate your worries and move on with your plan to go forward.

I’m still avoiding the busses at peak times…if someone sits too close, I will move. I wish we had double-decker buses…but I’m lucky as I live at the start of my route…if the bus is very crowded at home time I’ll take an Uber .

Are you just using the surgical masks?
Have you thought about using FFP2/3 masks instead?
I have been using FFP2s and so far so good (I work in small unventilated venues), in fact I am planning on using them forever now as I used to catch 2 or 3 bugs every autumn and spring through work before Covid.
It isn't a magic bullet but it might help alleviate your worries and move on with your plan to go forward.
thank you that is helpful - urbz on other threads have got me thinking about upgrading my masks. At the beginning of lockdown I had some good ones I had recieved at work (K95s?) But I can only wear them for a short time before the slight extra effort of breathing in them gave me an asthma or a panic attack, so I was reluctant to buy more. I am going to look for some FFP2/3s.

I’m still avoiding the busses at peak times…if someone sits too close, I will move. I wish we had double-decker buses…but I’m lucky as I live at the start of my route…if the bus is very crowded at home time I’ll take an Uber .
I hope you are keeping well pseudonarcissus .

I feel like buses are such small spaces anyway - it wouldn't matter if people were next to you or not looked like only half passenger were wearing masks even when it was compulsary - and the idea of a small car and driver seems worse to me. I can't face either - the very idea is distressing to me.

Wondering if I can use a black cab as they have the screen between driver and passenger. I may try this out and go somewhere I can walk home from, just to see how it feels.

I'm very cautious about going out. Luckily here in Spain people are still careful. We are still expected to wear masks, most people do. I'm very worried in the UK because so few people take any care, and there's an increase in infection in the village.

I'm OK not bothering to go out much. I never used to be like this, I was always having to go out and mix. Not now.

I hope you are keeping well pseudonarcissus .

I feel like buses are such small spaces anyway - it wouldn't matter if people were next to you or not looked like only half passenger were wearing masks even when it was compulsary - and the idea of a small car and driver seems worse to me. I can't face either - the very idea is distressing to me.

Wondering if I can use a black cab as they have the screen between driver and passenger. I may try this out and go somewhere I can walk home from, just to see how it feels.
I’m very well, thanks. Locked in a quarantine hotel before I work offshore for a couple of weeks..it’s still taken seriously here, for work at least.
Here Ubers still require masks..and open windows
F939097C-7146-4841-96BC-82EF6E234CF0.jpeg

Like the pic! sorry you are locked up - but it sounds very sensible.

I dont know what ubers are like here - I've never taken one as I dont have a smart phone.

Back
Top Bottom