Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Contact Tracing: Will You Self Isolate? (and related discussion)

Will you self isolate if told to by the tracing team?

• Yes, I will self isolate

Votes: 89 74.8%
  • No, I won't

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 18 15.1%

• Total voters
Statutory sick pay. That's it.

Don't know if there is any protection against this going on your work record.
That's the thing which would stop me self isolating.

I'm lucky that I can afford to be on statuary sick pay for 2 weeks but another sick day/period and I will be automatically on a written warning. That's because I will be on my 4th period of sick leave in 12 months. The other 3 were just 1 day each.

If that applies with Covid19 it will be hard for me not go into work.

Its not reliant on the app (when and if that ever comes about). I think the theory is that if someone tests positive the tell the T&T everyone they've been in close contact with and pass on their phone numbers. It only works if the positive testing person has the 3rd parties details and are prepared to pass them on.
Though if they say they have been to a workplace, school, religious meeting etc then the contact details can probably be traced through the organisation rather than relying on an individual having them.
However it's done, there appear to be genuine data protection issues here - what if an individual or organisation doesn't wish to pass on contact details?

And if the whole thing is reliant on people who have tested positive naming their contacts and passing on their details, you have to wonder why they can't simply be instructed to do that themselves.

Despite the name there doesn't appear to be a genuine "trace" element here as there is for other notifiable diseases.

However it's done, there appear to be genuine data protection issues here - what if an individual or organisation doesn't wish to pass on contact details?

And if the whole thing is reliant on people who have tested positive naming their contacts and passing on their details, you have to wonder why they can't simply be instructed to do that themselves.

Despite the name there doesn't appear to be a genuine "trace" element here as there is for other notifiable diseases.
How do other notifiable diseases trace?

I don't think it's a data protection issue (under GDPR) to pass on details if there's a legal/necessary reason. It's like how schools can pass on details for child protection concerns without getting permission.

Regardless of the legality there certainly are legitimate privacy concerns. I can see why people are worried, I guess everyone will have to weigh up the pros and cons and go and make their own decision.

One thing that does seem pretty certain to me in that for every one person that puts a lot of thought into this they'll be at least 50 who won't give two fucks.

How do other notifiable diseases trace?
I shouldn't have said notifiable, I meant infectious, and I was going to go back and edit but it's too late now.

With some diseases like TB, there are systems to trace contacts through places they've been etc, which don't rely simply on those testing positive naming people and don't depend on Apps or other techie gadgets.

I don't know details, but my wife used to work in Public Health (though not involved in this directly) and told me a little about it last night.

I can't imagine all the people doing the trace job have been provided with IT equipment which means all the personal data they have access to is on their personal tech. Not ecstatic about the idea of that 😬

They must have been provided with phones and computers. I know Johnson's exploding clown car of a government are all over the place but I can't imagine they're expecting tracers to use their old laptops and home phone.

No, I won't be downloading anything mandated by the government because I have complete faith and reliance on my own judgement...unlike anything dictated by the likes of Serco, govt. or crappy data troves. This decision has pertained throughout the entire pandemic (have been isolating since end of February). I know that I have been acting with total awareness of collective and personal responsibility. I do not need a diktat from above in order to behave with foresight, respect and compliance within my community and family. I have not really followed much govt guidance because it has been vague, deliberately confusing and utterly tainted by incorrect priorities.

Also, I have just acquired my first smartphone - I haven't yet got around to getting any sort of contract and have no clue what apps are or how they work...so there's that.

They must have been provided with phones and computers. I know Johnson's exploding clown car of a government are all over the place but I can't imagine they're expecting tracers to use their old laptops and home phone.
Well they haven't had data protection clearance yet. I'd like to think it's all secure but I remain unconvinced.

You reckon? 24,000 of them. In the various reports I've read by people recruited so far there has been no mention of the provision of either a phone or a computer.

You reckon? 24,000 of them. In the various reports I've read by people recruited so far there has been no mention of the provision of either a phone or a computer.
That's my thought. If they had provided all the kit they'd be shouting from the rooftops. The fact that it's all a bit "Oh look, a squirrel" after the Cummings fiasco and all the rest this week just makes it worse.

The NHS advert says you must have your own laptop and a headset.
I was thinking of applying as the money is really good but I’m quite knackered doing my full time.

Good lord, you and Mogden are right. This is just some shitty web portal they log in through isn't it? 24,000 lap tops isn't that big a cost in the scheme of things but I suppose you can give someone a completely new and clean laptop but you can't control what they do with it after that. Might as well get them to use their own.

Oh look I've found it :D

"To be able to perform this role, you will need to have your own desktop or laptop with a reliable internet connection. You will also need your own headset/headphones with microphone capability that is able to plug into your computer/laptop. "

To be fair to them they do ask for AV software.

" You should have Anti-Virus software installed and up to date (pre-installed on Windows) "

but they don't say you should have scanned your computer and it is clean first :D

ETA And nothing about malware.

Oh look I've found it :D

"To be able to perform this role, you will need to have your own desktop or laptop with a reliable internet connection. You will also need your own headset/headphones with microphone capability that is able to plug into your computer/laptop. "

To be fair to them they do ask for AV software.

" You should have Anti-Virus software installed and up to date (pre-installed on Windows) "

but they don't say you should have scanned your computer and it is clean first :D

ETA And nothing about malware.

Oh dear.

I'm quietly optimistic, what can go wrong?

Has government / the NHS made any statements about privacy of information provided during this T&T program? Because the database will in due course contain a lot of information about individuals - provided by themselves and others, including name likely address and postcode and contact numbers, contact information, who spends time with whom for example.

Has government / the NHS made any statements about privacy of information provided during this T&T program? Because the database will in due course contain a lot of information about individuals - provided by themselves and others, including name likely address and postcode and contact numbers, contact information, who spends time with whom for example.
Don't worry. GCHQ has decent security systems in place. ;)

Back
Top Bottom