Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

Also, a bit of a niche one this, but for anyone with an interest in pubs that Martin Webster used to drink in (possibly Nicky Crane as well?), there's a new-ish book about gay bars that has a chapter on the London Apprentice:

Is there a particular narrative from the book that sums up its essence for you, or embodies your reasons for writing it?

The London Apprentice was a magnetic, raunchy place in Shoreditch in the ’80s and ’90s. Starting with the name, the London Apprentice tells a story about the neighbourhood's development from centre of furniture manufacturing to amusement economy. The place of gay men in that trajectory – in gentrification – is taken to be axiomatic: first the gays move in, then the coffee roasters, then the scions of oil barons. But it’s more complicated than that, prickly in nuanced ways, plus filled with love and music and all manner of juiciness.

The deeper I dug, the more intense the place’s history turned out to be – and violent. There was a spate of gay bashings just outside in the late ’80s. By the ’90s, there was at least one racist attack inside – instigated by gay fascist skinheads. I was determined to interrogate some of these less visible countercultures, even and especially the unsavoury ones.

Had a few chats with Phil at gigs esp Specials...good lad...was impresssed we were such big mates with Terry. Did his head in in the pub along with a few hundred other gig goers when we started a rumour that the gig( reunion tour 2009) was off(Nottingham) as Terry had food poisoning....kept it going for a while until someone came over very irate and confronted us...cue my pal ''yeah it was probably 'chinese' whispers mate ...however Terry is poorly.....had a takeaway last night....too much..too much..too much foo yung..............nearly got battered.... but 'cueing' up the gag for about half an hour was fun.
Then at breakfast next day in the hotel...Terry came down and sat with us. I said to the waitress he doesnt fancy white bread today....''oh'' she said........cue me and pals....''this time hed like to have his toast brown.....der der der''
......cue 'blank expression' arghhh
Bumping this in light of the news, an all-time great post imo. RIP Terry.

First four names I recognise, Arthur Moyse I was able to google, still got no idea who Mick Larkin is/was?

Also just spoke to my mum since I could believe she might've run into him (Williams, not Larkin) in the 80s, she didn't recognise the name but did reminisce about the Alwyne Castle and London Apprentice a bit, also about how good-looking Islington Council's direct works department used to be, although sounds like he didn't work for the council?
See here. Mick Larkin/Parkin/Parkinson died in 2018. Mick Parkin, 1957 – 2018 – 21st Century North

This book sounds like it may be of interest to fans of BtF:

I read it recently. Pretty interesting for someone not very aware of the anti fascist scene in North America from 80s to early 00s.
Refreshing to see honest analysis too of where things went wrong in some regards.

Podcast with the authors below:

I read it recently. Pretty interesting for someone not very aware of the anti fascist scene in North America from 80s to early 00s.
Refreshing to see honest analysis too of where things went wrong in some regards.

Podcast with the authors below:
It's one of those things like buses, just as the ARA book came out, there was another one specifically focused on late 80s/early 90s Portland around the murder of Mulugeta Seraw:

Back
Top Bottom