Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

This might be of interest to some - a report by Copsey for the Centre for Research and Evidence on Security Threats:

I haven't been on here for years, but hi to anyone I know. Was listening to the 10 Rules for What podcast about On Burnley Road and it raised a lot of interesting questions about anti-fascist strategy then and now but there did seem to a massive gap in what was discussed, namely the IWCA and its projects. It feels like there's a lot of lessons in there for that kind of work so was wondering if I could put someone with more knowledge and experience of the IWCA in touch with them. I can't do it myself as while I was involved a fair bit, I'm neither working class nor like to associate much, so pretty much anyone else would be a lot better.

If anyone is up for it, send us a message and I'll put them in touch.

I haven't been on here for years, but hi to anyone I know. Was listening to the 10 Rules for What podcast about On Burnley Road and it raised a lot of interesting questions about anti-fascist strategy then and now but there did seem to a massive gap in what was discussed, namely the IWCA and its projects. It feels like there's a lot of lessons in there for that kind of work so was wondering if I could put someone with more knowledge and experience of the IWCA in touch with them. I can't do it myself as while I was involved a fair bit, I'm neither working class nor like to associate much, so pretty much anyone else would be a lot better.

If anyone is up for it, send us a message and I'll put them in touch.
Similar thoughts to you Sean (and hello!).

I don't know them but have chatted a bit on twitter.

It's a mixed bag, that podcast. Some of it does become a bit 'academic wordsoup', but lots of good things too.
Yeah, very much my take on it too. I had no idea what one or two of the episodes were on about (even though they had titles and shit...) and just ended up being slightly frustrated and annoyed. Most of them have been good though and the ones where they've interviewed Dave Renton, Shane Burley and the 43 Group guy have been really interesting.

Wasn't sure where to put this. There's a film night on the 30th anniversary of the founding of ARA soon.

THE PROTECTOR (25mins)

Filmmaker Orson Nava's The Protector is a gripping observational film about how expert bodyguard Glenford Dinnal-Allen kept a Black leader alive. The Anti-Racist Alliance's Marc Wadsworth had been put on a "death list" by fascist paramilitaries Combat 18 in the early 1990s.

Kin ell, some old sectarianism in there.
You must mean this:
Oh, we hate George Woodcock and we hate Ian Bone.
We hate Nick Heath and Vee-ro.
We hate Mick Larkin and Arthur Moyse.
Cos we’re Albert Meltzer’s – Boot boys
I remember hearing some DAM members singing that on a demo and thought, pathetic, what a bunch of sad dickheads :rolleyes:

You must mean this:

I remember hearing some DAM members singing that on a demo and thought, pathetic, what a bunch of sad dickheads :rolleyes:
First four names I recognise, Arthur Moyse I was able to google, still got no idea who Mick Larkin is/was?

Also just spoke to my mum since I could believe she might've run into him (Williams, not Larkin) in the 80s, she didn't recognise the name but did reminisce about the Alwyne Castle and London Apprentice a bit, also about how good-looking Islington Council's direct works department used to be, although sounds like he didn't work for the council?

That song is admirably niche for a group of people who were trying not to be a ghettoised subculture. :D

If you Google Mick Larkin anarchist you get some stuff about him being kicked out of DAM possibly for suggesting people might vote Labour or for having the wrong take on one of those enormous international beefs that syndicalists seem to have all the time. :?

First four names I recognise, Arthur Moyse I was able to google, still got no idea who Mick Larkin is/was?

Also just spoke to my mum since I could believe she might've run into him (Williams, not Larkin) in the 80s, she didn't recognise the name but did reminisce about the Alwyne Castle and London Apprentice a bit, also about how good-looking Islington Council's direct works department used to be, although sounds like he didn't work for the council?
I have only been in the alwyne castle once and that about 20 years ago. My only recollection of it is that it was very much on the dear side

Mick Larkin (not his real mame) was a DAM member in the North East of England, maybe Hull or Tyneside. I think he left or was expelled for being sympathetic to the CNT Renovados (now CGT). He later resurrected himself as the anarchist comedian and comedy club compere, Eric The Heretic. I actually knew him socially, he was mates with my oldest son's mam.

You must mean this:

The only two dam members I've known weren't as far as I could tell sectarian - certainly sham singh, who was on the all britain anti-poll tax federation high table wasn't. Or at least he was but only ime v militant, which is understandable

The only two dam members I've known weren't as far as I could tell sectarian - certainly sham singh, who was on the all britain anti-poll tax federation high table wasn't. Or at least he was but only ime v militant, which is understandable
Yeah, Sham was sound, I also got along with Andy the printer, Andy the librarian and Adrian from the couriers union, also specky Mike. I also knew several people in Manchester DAM who were all right.

Yeah, Sham was sound, I also got along with Andy the printer, Andy the librarian and Adrian from the couriers union, also specky Mike. I also knew several people in Manchester DAM who were all right.
Simon in Manchester DAM ( the one who whose girlfriend was in Workers Power) was sound

Back
Top Bottom