Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

I wasn't terribly impressed with Rai on that one, I sent him a bunch of corrections at the time which went entirely ignored.

(NB// Brian has since died - a rather sad case in the end because he was denied the one thing he truly wanted, recognition, as by that time he'd alienated everyone to the point that his passing went unremarked except by Northern Voices).

Yeah, it's a shame where Brian ended up, it's not like there's an overabundance of anarchists who have a real connection to the Blacklist Support Group and the construction rank and file, so would've been nice if he could've maintained better relationships with the rest of the movement.

Anyone with an hour to lose could do worse than browse through Northern Voices. The 2010 years is interesting as it has a focus, and almost a feel, on strikes and local issues that you don't really see on many anarchist things

I used to pick up an occasional copy of Northern Voices from the paper shop near my parents. It was okay. But Bamford had a very nasty streak and his "obituary" (more an unprovoked and vicious attack job) of Bob Miller, a truly decent guy with solid libertarian communist politics, was well beyond the pale.

I had a look but the second most recent post has a quote from the S*n about "42 different gender pronouns" being offered to kids at a school in Derbyshire.

Yeah they went down that path a while ago, the person who's left on there basically just uses it as a vaguely left-leaning anti-woke blog.

Looking at the Northern Voices site did also remind me that Brian and Barry are two different people, so I'm now unsure whether I actually met Bamford. And yes, it's sad but seeing how enthusiastically whoever's running it now has ended up diving into culture war shit makes me think that if it wasn't the obituary salad cream thing, something else would have ended up setting them down that path.

Indeed, would by any chance two of these three be Waterson and Bambery? And did you ever encounter ‘McGee’?

Whilst it was not perfect YRE was certainly involved in working in and on estates and as a former YRE Away Team chap, I never waved a lollipop in my life. Even going so far as to be condemned as Dads Army by 3 national ANL leaders. at a stewards meeting the night before the big Welling Demo in October 1993.
[Related to Met spycop's evidence before the Undercover Policing Inquiry today]

Heartening to see a younger generation reading about AFA and concluding that it’s the ‘best thing they’ve ever read’ about the rise of the far right and how to counter it..the emphasis placed on the analysis of the need to promote pro working class politics in communities is especially good to see.

Back
Top Bottom