Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

really didn't wanted to get sucked down this partic wormhole tnite / was trying to do sthn else, but have to say am looking fwd to Liam O's tome ( late/still of this parish ? prob too busy actually writing a book n' stuff ) if this is anything to go by ( can't remember if this was on here b4 ) - fairplay / good luck to him, sounds imminent ?

really didn't wanted to get sucked down this partic wormhole tnite / was trying to do sthn else, but have to say am looking fwd to Liam O's tome ( late/still of this parish ? prob too busy actually writing a book n' stuff ) if this is anything to go by ( can't remember if this was on here b4 ) - fairplay / good luck to him, sounds imminent ?

I read another bit about Ian Stewart in a pub

Not strictly relevant here, but as it's a bit late to start a "Why the National Front is Going Down the Pan" thread it will have to do.

This photo of the NF remembrance sunday "after everybody else has buggered off" wreath laying at the Cenotaph made me chuckle:

NF3.jpg

According to HnH the two black women were innocent passers by who just decided to show their respect for the war dead as the wreaths were laid.

It's almost as heartwarming as seeing how few they are these days:

NF2.jpg

Compared with only five years ago:

national-fronts-march-on-remembrance-sunday-481-body-image-1415629417.jpg

"Something something" about missing the boat on modern internet "grift fascism"

I haven't listened to this yet but seen this podcast advertised by people behind 0161festival (I believe)

We do things differently *NEW EPISODE*

Life long Anti Fascist and AFA member Toddy in the studio. Toddy shares some of his amazing stories on how the AFA network grew to what we know of it today. In this special episode Toddy tells us inside stories of the many things that AFA have done throughout the years, from fighting fascists to laying the ground work for better community cohesion.

Listen in below >>>>>

0161 Podcast - We Do Things Differently Ep. 5 - Toddy

I haven't listened to this yet but seen this podcast advertised by people behind 0161festival (I believe)

We do things differently *NEW EPISODE*

Life long Anti Fascist and AFA member Toddy in the studio. Toddy shares some of his amazing stories on how the AFA network grew to what we know of it today. In this special episode Toddy tells us inside stories of the many things that AFA have done throughout the years, from fighting fascists to laying the ground work for better community cohesion.

Listen in below >>>>>

0161 Podcast - We Do Things Differently Ep. 5 - Toddy

EDIT: Apologies. 'Toddy' is not the person I originally thought of from Manchester AFA who disgraced himself in Glasgow, he was not active in AFA after that incident - similar nickname, but different person. I am however assured that the 'Toddy' interviewed has a less than distinguished history & the general criticism still applies in relation to this interview & 0161.

Just reiterates that 0161 is at the very least politically flawed, if not completely bent.

Last edited:
Found some of that intersting tbh , I remember him vaguely. I'm sure 0161 are doing great things in the community, great gigs, walking tours, podcasts etc but the one thing they aint doing is the group of fascists who walk around with impunity , and have done for a good year or more, in Manchester city centre.

Found some of that intersting tbh , I remember him vaguely. I'm sure 0161 are doing great things in the community, great gigs, walking tours, podcasts etc but the one thing they aint doing is the group of fascists who walk around with impunity , and have done for a good year or more, in Manchester city centre.

Dave Hann brought him back in. He is more of a Searchlight fellow traveller than anything else. Huge gaps in his account of his "40 years of anti-fascism" because he disappeared for years at a time & popped up again when certain people found him to be a useful stooge. A bit like this interview being convenient for the agenda of 0161 - if this is the type of 'AFA veteran' that they seek endorsement from, they are double-bent imho.

Last edited:
He has no redeeming qualities for me, a complete knob who behaved disgustingly in Glasgow. We were assured that he was finished with AFA after that, but Dave Hann brought him back in. He was more of a Searchlight fellow traveller than anything else. Huge gaps in his account of his "40 years of anti-fascism" because he disappeared for years at a time & popped up again when certain people found him to be a useful stooge. A bit like this interview being convenient for the agenda of 0161 - if this is the type of 'AFA veteran' that they seek endorsement from, they are double-bent imho.
I don't know the bloke or 0161. It's clear that red action people dont like either and are happy to try and have it out here.

Spell out the perceived agenda of 0161. Recognise you might have a way to go to counter perceptions that RA people just cant take the lack of control when others organise, write or speak. Given how many were involved on the periphery of AFA, this can grate.

I don't know the bloke or 0161. It's clear that red action people dont like either and are happy to try and have it out here.

Spell out the perceived agenda of 0161. Recognise you might have a way to go to counter perceptions that RA people just cant take the lack of control when others organise, write or speak. Given how many were involved on the periphery of AFA, this can grate.

The truth is coming post-election, there are aspects of 0161's agenda that would impact on the Labour Party were we to reveal the full extent of the operation at this point. It has all the hallmarks of a Hope Not Hate front, which also extends to dissident republicanism in the Manchester area. It's not only former Red Action personnel who have raised questions about them, there are anti-fascists from the anarchist movement who also have serious questions about them. 0161 is a honeypot designed to demobilise militants & divert them into 'fight clubs' & inneffective (and often imaginary) 'community projects' for the already converted, not to moblise against fascism. In 7 years we are yet to hear of a single confrontation with fascists by 0161, so can you explain to me what it's about? Without grating, of course.

The truth is coming post-election, there are aspects of 0161's agenda that would impact on the Labour Party were we to reveal the full extent of the operation at this point. It has all the hallmarks of a Hope Not Hate front, which also extends to dissident republicanism in the Manchester area. It's not only former Red Action personnel who have raised questions about them, there are anti-fascists from the anarchist movement who also have serious questions about them. 0161 is a honeypot designed to demobilise militants & divert them into 'fight clubs' & inneffective (and often imaginary) 'community projects' for the already converted, not to moblise against fascism. In 7 years we are yet to hear of a single confrontation with fascists by 0161, so can you explain to me what it's about? Without grating, of course.

Really? that sounds very conspiratorial to me. Isn't the truth that they're more just a gang of the youth with a tendency towards Stalinism and self promotion?

Really? that sounds very conspiratorial to me. Isn't the truth that they're more just a gang of the youth with a tendency towards Stalinism and self promotion?
Framed has a point , they have openly tied themselves to dissident republicans who counter terrorism will be all over . Couldn’t give a toss to be honest if they are Stalinist, Trots or an Anarchist flavour , they’ve effectively demobilised any direct anti fascism against Goddard , Lawrence and other Fash in Manchester . If you listen to the podcast they have a go at SUTR for not canvassing the area in Salford that TR visited but they’ve never been canvassing on the estate themselves .

Here's one for 0161 . Brexit Party candidate in Blackley , North Manchester is James Buckley otherwise known as Jim Edwards. 'Jolting' Jim is a known Britain First member, Mosley supporter and side kick of James Goddard as well as having a 'recreational problem'. Was canvassing outside Asda in Harpurhey Saturday.

Just read this, it's really a Corbyn puff-piece but I'd love to hear from anyone who was there on the day who could let me know the veracity of the accounts in the piece. A few people named who I don't know of and a mention for Stuart Hall.
Remembering the Battle of Wood Green

Have a gander at Galloway's new party, odd stuff:

Just read this, it's really a Corbyn puff-piece but I'd love to hear from anyone who was there on the day who could let me know the veracity of the accounts in the piece. A few people named who I don't know of and a mention for Stuart Hall.
Remembering the Battle of Wood Green

Screenshot 2020-02-17 at 07.34.49.png
I was there. We weren't sure of how things would go.Previous NF marches had been countered by anti-fascists walking alongside the marchers, separated by the police cordon on both sides of the march. There would just be jeering, heckling and abuse of the marchers. This time there was a more militant and determined attitude by the anti-fascists encouraged by a good turnout of local young people, mainly young Turkish lads.
The tone for the day was set as soon as the NF march emerged from the park they met in, and Peter Chappell, a local who organised the 'George Davis is innocent' campaign steamed into the NF 'Colour Party' on his own. All we could see was Union Jack flags going up into the air as their holders went down. Pete was quickly arrested but he had made it clear that this fascist march would be opposed by more than just words.

The last line of the account above is not true. I've heard it repeated by SWP members who take it as gospel that a group of young black kids came running round a corner from a side road and took shoes from a couple of baskets outside a shoe shop to throw into the march. Actually an Asian 'squad member' first picked up a couple of shoes and hurled them, they were the only missiles to hand. Young Turkish guys who were near him followed his lead and the baskets were quickly emptied as the shoes rained down on the NF marchers. It was the first time they had encountered any physical opposition and the mainly older respectable marchers looked cowed and scared. The shoes probably didn't do much damage, but a bit further down the road a building site provided more substantial ammunition and the anti-fascists used it to good effect.
The lead had been given for militant physical opposition to future fascist mobilisations, which would scare of the softer periphery. The next big confrontation would be the 'Battle of Lewisham' and we knew it would be the 'big one'.

Last edited:
Why have you posted this on a thread about AFA?
Not everything on here is to do with AFA though, is it? Reading this thread, loads of things are discussed, not just AFA or BtF. This stopped being a strictly AFA thread ages ago. Besides, this thread has shit loads of traffic anyway.

Not everything on here is to do with AFA though, is it? Reading this thread, loads of things are discussed, not just AFA or BtF. This stopped being a strictly AFA thread ages ago. Besides, this thread has shit loads of traffic anyway.

I’d suggest any one of the many threads about Galloway on the P&P forum might have got more interest in your post?

Anyway, I’ve got no interest in him or his Stalinist pals so I’ll leave you to it.

Back
Top Bottom