Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

Hope Not Hate & their proxies in 0161 would've been too busy helping the 32CSM to establish a North Pack ASU in Islington with members of Red Londonderry in tow. When you're running a public limited company as a fake community organisation, who cares about such trivial matters as fascists in Manchester City Centre?

I had an interesting spat with the 32csm lot when I pointed out that Goddard and the Manchester Collective had had a free reign in Manchester City Centre for over a year. Got called a grass for reposting a video clip of Goddard allegedly getting coffee thrown over him and receiving a head none of which was actually in the video.
Apparently according to 32csm we can be rest assured that despite CCTV action has been taken ‘behind the scenes’. Despite this action ‘behind the scenes’ Lawrence , English, Jolting Jim , Goddard and the other flotsam and jetsom feel confident enough to turn up and harass the Peterloo commemoration and the left on a regular basis. Let’s be frank , they wouldn’t be in the city centre if there was any opposition either in the city centre or outside the city centre. Unlike Liverpool there was no real effort by anti fascists to physically oppose the TR campaign in Manchester . Anti fascists need to start from scratch in Manchester . There’s something not quite right and it’s not just the usual shortcomings of SUTR.

I had an interesting spat with the 32csm lot when I pointed out that Goddard and the Manchester Collective had had a free reign in Manchester City Centre for over a year. Got called a grass for reposting a video clip of Goddard allegedly getting coffee thrown over him and receiving a head none of which was actually in the video.
Apparently according to 32csm we can be rest assured that despite CCTV action has been taken ‘behind the scenes’. Despite this action ‘behind the scenes’ Lawrence , English, Jolting Jim , Goddard and the other flotsam and jetsom feel confident enough to turn up and harass the Peterloo commemoration and the left on a regular basis. Let’s be frank , they wouldn’t be in the city centre if there was any opposition either in the city centre or outside the city centre. Unlike Liverpool there was no real effort by anti fascists to physically oppose the TR campaign in Manchester . Anti fascists need to start from scratch in Manchester . There’s something not quite right and it’s not just the usual shortcomings of SUTR.

Difference of approach really. Merseyside AFN adopted a strategy of broad based militant action which has never been in vogue in Manchester.

Difference of approach really. Merseyside AFN adopted a strategy of broad based militant action which has never been in vogue in Manchester.
Pre AFN days we had both mass action and targeted action in Manchester . This occurred during the NF days right up to the BNP. Even with the EDF there was still both . We can bang on about the failings of SUTR but my question is what’s happened to those who ‘owned’ the targeted action? It’s a weird situation where there are anti fascist gigs, walks etc but no anti fascist action ?

someone i used to know was on that national black caucus march and he said it was absolutely terrifying, that the nbc led them into a fucking trap, it's something which i've never forgotten given the way he described it

Aye, a few mates said similar. One was on the Rohit Duggal march in Welling the following year and given all the talk about that said the NBC march was far dodgier and far less 'protected'.

Some reflections on local anti-fascist struggles in South London in 1991

An interesting reflective account from a friend. I'm sure there will be some different views and recollections from others...

Well that was a long and rambling path to nowhere... His/her/it's perceptions (and that is what they are - perceptions not truths) of the internal workings & leadership of AFA are well wide of the mark. Just another excuse to have digs at the big baddies of Red Action, although I'd wager that in Bermondsey at the NBC march she/he'd have been glad to see some of those same 'burgeoning Leninists' at his/her side. They were there & give a more accurate account in BTF.

Back
Top Bottom