Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ayia Napa gang rape case - verdict and discussion

Not sure it’s great that I’m getting breaking news alerts from BBC about this and it being their second biggest story today. Going to feed into the ‘evidence’ for those pricks who defend famous rapists because ‘women lie’ and those who play down rape accusations, in turn making it harder for people to have the strength to come forward after being attacked. This shit is poisonous and costs lives. Rapists should be the ones being shamed on telly, not the vanishingly rare cases of those prosecuted for making false claims.

I think it's also interesting how this case in Greece, and the one about the family that drowned trying to save each other in Spain, help to feed into a general "police in foreign countries are likely to fuck you over" narrative, which bolsters anti-EU/anti-foreigner sentiment.

I think it's also interesting how this case in Greece, and the one about the family that drowned trying to save each other in Spain, help to feed into a general "police in foreign countries are likely to fuck you over" narrative, which bolsters anti-EU/anti-foreigner sentiment.

Police in foreign countries are likely to fuck you over. Just like at home, if you're working class.

It does, but you can't attribute it to anything wilful. The other side of that coin is the British tendency to assume that our citizens have been hard done by 'uncivilised' foreign judicial stystems (see any number of cases involving westerners smuggling drugs in Middle/Far East etc).

The family really haven’t been helped by the press either who have insisted on publishing scores of photographs of the girl with her face covered but her parents completely identifiable.

The UK press can identify her if they wish. The crowd funded piece is written by a bloke with a name who talks of ‘our daughter’, so that could also be a giveaway.

It does, but you can't attribute it to anything wilful. The other side of that coin is the British tendency to assume that our citizens have been hard done by 'uncivilised' foreign judicial stystems (see any number of cases involving westerners smuggling drugs in Middle/Far East etc).
Plus are own judicial system is not exactly great at getting rape convictions.

It's an awful case, poor girl :(

I think it’s the same side of the coin tbh. See also the Madeleine McCann nonsense.

The UK press can identify her if they wish. The crowd funded piece is written by a bloke with a name who talks of ‘our daughter’, so that could also be a giveaway.
This crowdfund will be administered without charge by a UK lawyer, John Hobbs, who will allocate the fund as required
He is not her father just publishing their statement.

I think it’s the same side of the coin tbh. See also the Madeleine McCann nonsense.
The Madeleine McCann nonsense was entirely different. That was just a product of the indecorous mawkishness that we excel at in the UK. See also Diana Princess of Wales.

Reactions: tim

Neither of these case would have been treated in the way they have in the UK, so why shouldn't the systems be challenged.

The Cypriot case is mired in mysogyny; and pool that the family drowned in was reopened within 24 hours.

To be honest never be surprised by the willingness of police in any country to fuck people over.

Club La Costa are well worth full internet research. In any case, whatever the regs say any commercial swimming pool deserves a life guard. People can die in water in minutes.

Back
Top Bottom