• Yes - other vaccine

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • only having the Flu one

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • not having either

Votes: 12 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
November 9th. FFS. And that's only because my GP surgery are offering it. Meanwhile, 2 staff and 2 kids down at school (my school is tiny) as it starts to spread.

We are classed as essential workers. Meant to be prioritized. But there's a chasm between the north and south of the county, leaving anyone in the south being called in the first few days of September while we in the north have heard nothing. By mid-October.

If they want vaccine uptake maybe they should, you know, offer it?

From tommorow (Friday)...

BBC News - Over-50s set to be invited for Covid booster and flu jab in England

Looks like booking has opened for 50's.

Just tried website with my nhs number and dob and it let me book it. (when i tried earlier today it asked me some y/n questions and then said no. This time it went straight to booking with no questions)

I'm booked for covid vax on saturday morning. It didn't mention the flu vax so i might have to book that seperatly. Will see what happens on saturday.

Link...

Last edited:
Booked for next week. Need to sort out the flu jab now ......
I know some places are doing both at same time. I will see if they do both jabs at my covid booking tommorow. If not then i'll try boots who did my flu jab last year (free of charge).

I believe that some people are getting the latest vaccine the targets the newer covid varients but they don't have enough stocks so some are getting the older vaccine (which still gives protection). I guess as a 50 year old with no known health issues i'm more likely to get the older vaccine (which is fair enough).

I see as someone in my late 50s I can now book one with the NHS, but as usual they have no sites in Worthing, despite it being the largest town in West Sussex. :rolleyes:

I am not going to do a 20+ mile round trip for it, so I'll wait to hear from my GP surgery, which is only a short walk down the road. According to their website they are back to working 7-days a week to roll-out both the covid & flu vaccines, and have almost completed all home visits & the over 65s, etc., so it shouldn't take too long now.

Finally got round to it today.
Git the notification a few weeks back but got a cold straight after. Been putting it off. Wanted to get it on a Thursday night as I have Fridays and the weekend off. Got a Friday at 12 booking instead as the local place closed by about 6 and I wouldn't get back until after 7.

Still have a cough though. Plus it's the moderna which knocked me for 6 last time.

It's my understanding that the immunity provided by the current crop of vaccines is far from permanent.

By “current crop”, do you mean “all of them”?

I had the Moderna booster. Felt pretty crap for a day.

It's my understanding that the immunity provided by the current crop of vaccines is far from permanent.
Which is just one of the reasons why a booster programme has been initiated !

Another is that the mRNA boosters can be [& have been] tweaked to be more effective against variants [for this autumn the "target" is Omicron variant].

I have mine in just over an hour and I'm a tad anxious about it because the previous ones I had wiped me out.

Has anyone else experienced any reaction after this one?

I do yes, it was why I booked it for this afternoon.

Good call. Wish I had done similar (was Moderna). Would have been ok sitting in front of the telly watching films, but was working. Basically aching in nearly every bone.

By “current crop”, do you mean “all of them”?

I had the Moderna booster. Felt pretty crap for a day.

I'm leaving open the possibility that a more persistent vaccine will be developed in the future. That would be great.

I'm leaving open the possibility that a more persistent vaccine will be developed in the future. That would be great.
Seems unlikely - in my understanding it's all about the virus and we've been lucky that a vaccine for an RNA virus has lasted as well as it has ...

I assume that at some point most people will be expected to rely on repeated infection and moderate disease for continued protection - with just older people being offered free vaccines...

I have a theory that when I worked and was in retrospect getting the flu every year, the disease was moderate because I was dealing not with people, but the equipment they handled so was inhaling viral fragments... though I was also a lot fitter than most people my age and had been catching it annually ever since I started there aged 21 ...

I would be interested to learn about the prevailing strains in 2013, 2018 and especially 2019 ...

I would be interested to learn about the prevailing strains in 2013, 2018 and especially 2019 ...

I've not got time to check specific years right now but the bad flu epidemic years since the late 1960s pandemic have tended to feature H3N2 strains of flu. And there are a bunch of reasons why that branch of flu tends to be worse than the H1N1 flu that also coexists over that time period. H3N2 is also why they felt the need to offer a different flu vaccine for older people in recent years. Some of the reasons why H3N2 sucks are covered by articles like the following one. I'll stick some quotes from it in spoiler tags since its not really on topic for this thread and Im quoting a reasonably large chunk:

Several factors have contributed to the higher impact of A(H3N2) viruses over the last 50 years. First, A(H3N2) viruses have undergone antigenic change at a much higher rate than influenza A(H1N1) viruses.73 Frequent changes to the hemagglutinin protein have allowed A(H3N2) viruses to evade human immune responses both through (1) conformational changes around important antigenic sites, notably the receptor binding pocket, and (2) increased glycosylation of the hemagglutinin protein shielding the antigenic sites of the virus from antibody binding.74

Secondly, A(H3N2) virus has had a disproportionate impact on older adults. Persons aged 65 years and older have a higher rate of comorbidities that increase their risk for influenza complications, and this group experiences higher mean hospitalization rates during influenza seasons in which H3 viruses predominate than in seasons in which H1 viruses predominate.75 Contributing factors may include waning immunity and decline in vaccine-derived immune protection.76 In addition, older adults may respond less effectively to A(H3N2) virus infections because of immunological imprinting, also referred to as “original antigenic sin.”77 This suggests that persons first infected by A(H1N1) virus (i.e., 1918–1957) are protected from severe H1N1 disease but are less protected against severe illness with A(H3N2) virus infection.

Third, when A(H3N2) viruses are propagated in eggs, they change conformation and can lose sites of glycosylation, causing them to differ from the circulating A(H3N2) viruses. This likely contributes to the lower vaccine effectiveness observed for A(H3N2) viruses, especially in older adults,78 highlighting the need for improving the effectiveness of seasonal influenza vaccines through increased antigen content, addition of adjuvants, and ultimately through development of more broadly protective and longer lasting “universal” vaccines.

Since their emergence, influenza A(H3N2) viruses have caused substantial cumulative morbidity and mortality worldwide during seasonal influenza epidemics, greatly exceeding their impact in the first years of the pandemic beginning in 1968. More than 50 years later, A(H3N2) continues to adapt to evade host immunity and cause higher numbers of hospitalizations and deaths than influenza A(H1N1) and B viruses. New therapies and vaccine technologies have been developed, but further improvements in the prevention and control of influenza are still needed and will be critical in preparing for the next influenza pandemic.

Third, when A(H3N2) viruses are propagated in eggs, they change conformation and can lose sites of glycosylation, causing them to differ from the circulating A(H3N2) viruses. This likely contributes to the lower vaccine effectiveness observed for A(H3N2) viruses, especially in older adults,78 highlighting the need for improving the effectiveness of seasonal influenza vaccines through increased antigen content, addition of adjuvants, and ultimately through development of more broadly protective and longer lasting “universal” vaccines.

Since their emergence, influenza A(H3N2) viruses have caused substantial cumulative morbidity and mortality worldwide during seasonal influenza epidemics, greatly exceeding their impact in the first years of the pandemic beginning in 1968. More than 50 years later, A(H3N2) continues to adapt to evade host immunity and cause higher numbers of hospitalizations and deaths than influenza A(H1N1) and B viruses. New therapies and vaccine technologies have been developed, but further improvements in the prevention and control of influenza are still needed and will be critical in preparing for the next influenza pandemic.

Oops I missed half of what I meant to quote out from that post initially so you might want to read it again if you read it as soon as I first posted it.

I had the Pfizer on Wednesday. Apart from a sorearm on Thursday, I've been fine

The previous booster made me feel like shit, as did the original vaccines, and I'm glad not to repeat that

If there's evidence that the protection against hospitalisation and death afforded by three vaccines to the healthy under-50s is waning, I'm sure they'll be offered a fourth.

If there's evidence that the protection against hospitalisation and death afforded by three vaccines to the healthy under-50s is waning, I'm sure they'll be offered a fourth.

The quality of waning evidence in general is often not as high as they would like, but attempts to do this analysis show waning against protection against hospitalisation after many weeks have passed since 3rd dose (1st booster) in the 18-64 group is present just like it is in the over 65 age group. However the waning showed up so strongly in the younger group that they suspect that the hospitalisation data suffers from many cases of 'incidental' covid being included, not just people who were admitted directly because of how ill covid had made them. At least one study that gets mentioned in the UK vaccine surveillance reports then attempted to explore this issue by looking at various different hospital classifications, eg to see if they could filter things down in a useful way by looking at patients who were given oxygen, ventilation or other sorts of ICU care. It helped a bit, but I got the impression they still thought the resulting picture of waning protection against severe covid disease was far from perfect.

I expect they are used to the evidence in these areas being a bit weak, and are still working on the assumption that waning in younger age groups is quite real. However they arent basing their vaccination programme decision making on that alone, they combine this waning picture with the fact that younger people have a lower rate of covid complications resulting in hospitalisation in the first place. So the younger age groups dont contribute as significantly to hospital burden numbers games as older people do, thus boosters for the younger age groups are considered to be less important.

Here are some of the numbers they go on about anyway, just be wary of considering them without the sort of caveats I mentioned. ( from https://assets.publishing.service.g...09618/vaccine-surveillance-report-week-40.pdf )

Screenshot 2022-10-14 at 20.38.jpg

When your starting to bake
Coz your temp's 38
That's Moderna.

I'm bright red and my arm fucking hurts. Thermometer says 38 so only a mild fever. Not unexpected.

Got pains in my arm
That's hindering my calm
That's... just fucking unpleasant actually. Fucking ow.

Feels like my forearm is almost cramping. Shoulder is very un pleasant.

Gonna try to sleep.

Last edited:
Had the jab at 3pm y/day, by 8 was knackered but felt OK. Woke up at 3am aching all over, minor shivers, arm is real sore. Don’t feel as bad as previous times but feel awful all the same.

Back
Top Bottom