Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
A tattoo used to be a sign of having served at sea or been inside. Now they're badges of conformism.

true but also the crown heads of europe took to it with a passion - by the end of the 19th century at least one in 5 members of the british aristocracy had a tattoo (Churchill's mum anyone).

It was a badge of conformism way before students came along.

It isn't just my opinion that privately educated people are wankers though, is it?

In fact it is the opinion of everyone, except those who went to private school themselves. Such universally held opinions are generally accorded the status of objective truth.
IME it's a pretty widespread opinion among a substantial minority of people who attended private schools...

Bigotry? You soft get. :D

I can't afford to go to university right now. I don't slag all students off (an ex was one when we met, I have friends, co-workers etc who are currently studying), but come on ...

yeah, enough discussing the merits of various northern eateries, this class war isn't going to fight itself you know

it's taking a big enough hit as it is what with all this stalking of that very private individual laurie penny, can't afford any more distractions

focus

yeah, enough discussing the merits of various northern eateries, this class war isn't going to fight itself you know

it's taking a big enough hit as it is what with all this stalking of that very private individual laurie penny, can't afford any more distractions

focus
failed leeds eateries need a thread of their own!

true but also the crown heads of europe took to it with a passion - by the end of the 19th century at least one in 5 members of the british aristocracy had a tattoo (Churchill's mum anyone).

It was a badge of conformism way before students came along.

It's far from being just students now though, or even mainly students. Since the advent of the 'body art' business scam, tattoos have become so widespread and over the top that whatever impact they once had has been totally wiped out. You see people with entire limbs totally covered with some huge infantile picture. Deep orange and vivid red inks on already orangey skin. Female bank clerks, dressed in formal attire, ridiculously have tattoos peeping out from the waist bands of their trousers or skirts, or above their collars. Somebody's old granny on the tills in Asda has a neck tattoo for fuck's sake.

Like I said, something has clearly gone awry.

It's far from being just students now though, or even mainly students. It's so widespread and over the top that whatever impact a tattoo once had has been totally wiped out. You see people with entire limbs totally covered with some huge infantile picture. Deep orange and vivid red inks on already orangey skin. Female bank clerks, dressed in formal attire ridiculously have tattoos peeping out from the waist bands of their trousers or skirts, or above their collars. Somebody's old granny on the tills in Asda has a neck tattoo for fuck's sake.

Like I said, something has clearly gone awry.
Get over it grandad. It's no skin off your nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom