Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just looked up Julie Burchill on Wikipedia. I don't think I will be adding her to my Christmas Card list.

PS. Having noticed the red squiggly line under 'Wikipedia' I checked the spelling. It gave me 'windpipe'.

She should also get herself a better hairstyle with a natural looking colour. Make the most of herself while she's still young.

And start calling herself Laura again-it's nicer. Who the fuck's called Laurie anyway? Has anybody ever met a Laurie?

Well, there was Laurie Lee. But Laurie Lee is somewhat different from LP in that he actually went to Spain and fought, whereas she would have encouraged others to do the actual fighting and would have filed 'frontline' reports from some swish hotel in a safe area while bemoaning the lack of her favourite lattes, the shortage of arty types ('Well, if they will insist on all that tiresome warfare') and the lack of a Blackberry signal if she should accidentally happen to end up near some actual fighting.

Laurie Lee could also string a decent sentence together.

348.jpg

She should also get herself a better hairstyle with a natural looking colour. Make the most of herself while she's still young.

And start calling herself Laura again-it's nicer. Who the fuck's called Laurie anyway? Has anybody ever met a Laurie?

Yes, a bloke, and it was his given name, rather than a shortening of "Lawrence". Never met a woman with the name, though.

Well, there was Laurie Lee. But Laurie Lee is somewhat different from LP in that he actually went to Spain and fought, whereas she would have encouraged others to do the actual fighting and would have filed 'frontline' reports from some swish hotel in a safe area while bemoaning the lack of her favourite lattes, the shortage of arty types ('Well, if they will insist on all that tiresome warfare') and the lack of a Blackberry signal if she should accidentally happen to end up near some actual fighting.

Laurie Lee could also string a decent sentence together.

And he didn't need a private education to be able to, either.

After 13 years I'm just getting used to living next to a student ghetto. Yet still, when one of them walks into the pub with a silly hairstyle or inappropriate piercings I feel a little stab of hatred.

After 13 years I'm just getting used to living next to a student ghetto. Yet still, when one of them walks into the pub with a silly hairstyle or inappropriate piercings I feel a little stab of hatred.
That's cos you're a hateful prick

They're students. It's to be expected. It's like state-sanctioned rebellion time for most of 'em.
It's when they've left that behind and are still doing it while working for "the man" that they provoke my ire.

You're a right pair of grandads.
Adults dye their hair too anyway.

I just hate emo-hair. Those floppy emo-fringes just activate some primal hatred in my psyche. I loved The Human League when I was young, but Oakey's hair always annoyed the fuck out of me. I was well-pleased when he chopped it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom