Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
And when he went to "have an old friend for dinner" he was actually going to discuss how he could be a better ally and call out his own privileges in the manners described in the thread.

An intersectional analysis of Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal is the most oppressed character in Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon (but not in the TV series because Jack Crawford is black, even though he represents the forces of law and order). He is not only oppressed because he is passing as an aristocrat, after having come through the camps and the Eastern Front and so on. He is oppressed because he has to pass as a normal human being. His food tastes are denied and he is unable to express his own unique identity. He is forced to subject himself to the vulgarity of American culture which dismisses his experiences as an immigrant and his sense of propriety. Is it any wonder that he lashes out into ghoulash?

Clarice Starling is a great example of a good intersectionalist ally. She calls herself out on her own experiences of privilege as an FBI agent. She also seeks out Hannibal's help on a project when she gives him the case files to read and calls her American privilege into question while she does so, but does not treat him as merely a tokenistic example of a European serial killer.

Her own American privilege rests on shaky ground as she is two generations removed from poor white trash West Virginia coal-miners. It is indicative of the respect the two oppressed people have for each other that they engage in a game of "you tell me and I'll tell you". And both think to have one over on the other while they know they are doing it - an expression of how the white man's patriarchy engages us in multi-layered sections of oppression and privilege, degrading us all while doing so. Notice how Jack Crawford patronises Starling and says that he doesn't want to talk about the cases in front of a woman. Later he says it was just a trick, but no matter how well intentioned, that was still just an example of mansplanation.

Jack Crawford then exploits the mental illness of Will Graham, playing on ableistic stereotypes that every mentally ill person has a special talent, in this case solving murders. In some ways Will Graham is a massive trigger warning, which Jack Crawford then exploits. In many ways Jack Crawford divines the nature of his suspects by reading the trigger warnings upon the face of Will Graham. Jack Crawford symbolises the privilege which the able-bodied white male holds over those who are too weak to resist his influence, but despite that wish to contribute to their own oppression while their vulnerabilities are useful in maintaining the kyriarchy on which Jack Crawford's position rests.

Of course, Will Graham is never admitted as a full FBI agent, being known instead by the demeaning title of a "special consultant". His condition and his non-neurotypical gifts are so much tools in the hands of the patriarchy, to be used by the cis-scum and then thrown to wolves like Lecter. His behaviour, not expected of a privileged American white male, leads him to be ostracised from this boys' club like the black runner denied access to the white man's club - fine to win races, but never to drink in the bar.

Hannibal himself is the perfect example of somebody so broken on the wheel of oppression that he has forged his own wheel. And who are we to judge him for it?

An intersectional analysis of Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal is the most oppressed character in Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon (but not in the TV series because Jack Crawford is black, even though he represents the forces of law and order). He is not only oppressed because he is passing as an aristocrat, after having come through the camps and the Eastern Front and so on. He is oppressed because he has to pass as a normal human being. His food tastes are denied and he is unable to express his own unique identity. He is forced to subject himself to the vulgarity of American culture which dismisses his experiences as an immigrant and his sense of propriety. Is it any wonder that he lashes out into ghoulash?

Clarice Starling is a great example of a good intersectionalist ally. She calls herself out on her own experiences of privilege as an FBI agent. She also seeks out Hannibal's help on a project when she gives him the case files to read and calls her American privilege into question while she does so, but does not treat him as merely a tokenistic example of a European serial killer.

Her own American privilege rests on shaky ground as she is two generations removed from poor white trash West Virginia coal-miners. It is indicative of the respect the two oppressed people have for each other that they engage in a game of "you tell me and I'll tell you". And both think to have one over on the other while they know they are doing it - an expression of how the white man's patriarchy engages us in multi-layered sections of oppression and privilege, degrading us all while doing so. Notice how Jack Crawford patronises Starling and says that he doesn't want to talk about the cases in front of a woman. Later he says it was just a trick, but no matter how well intentioned, that was still just an example of mansplanation.

Jack Crawford then exploits the mental illness of Will Graham, playing on ableistic stereotypes that every mentally ill person has a special talent, in this case solving murders. In some ways Will Graham is a massive trigger warning, which Jack Crawford then exploits. In many ways Jack Crawford divines the nature of his suspects by reading the trigger warnings upon the face of Will Graham. Jack Crawford symbolises the privilege which the able-bodied white male holds over those who are too weak to resist his influence, but despite that wish to contribute to their own oppression while their vulnerabilities are useful in maintaining the kyriarchy on which Jack Crawford's position rests.

Of course, Will Graham is never admitted as a full FBI agent, being known instead by the demeaning title of a "special consultant". His condition and his non-neurotypical gifts are so much tools in the hands of the patriarchy, to be used by the cis-scum and then thrown to wolves like Lecter. His behaviour, not expected of a privileged American white male, leads him to be ostracised from this boys' club like the black runner denied access to the white man's club - fine to win races, but never to drink in the bar.

Hannibal himself is the perfect example of somebody so broken on the wheel of oppression that he has forged his own wheel. And who are we to judge him for it?

What about an intersectional analysis of Buffalo 'I'd fuck me' Bill?

They never even realise they're starting from a position of a) having the actual cash to buy a whole chicken b) having an oven, pans etc to cook it in c) having a big enough freezer to cook things in advance and freeze the results d) having a store cupboard full of basics they have already bought <snip>
Whenever people questioned how VP and I could afford to have a chest freezer, I explained that it was bought on installments from a catalogue. Even paying that way was worth it because it made bulk buying just about affordable for two adults. But yes, I do realise that we're lucky - when renting rooms I only had a third of a fridge shelf and half of a freezer drawer to myself (if I didn't mind risking my food being nicked). It helps if you live in an area where a lot of the ethnic shops think a saucepan which will hold rice for 2 hungry adults is tiny - pans in some of the local ethnic shops are large as well as cheap.

I also realise that when you're absolutely skint (because payments have been messed up or you're repaying debts from the last time they were etc) there's no such thing as "only £5" - even 5p extra can be unaffordable.

53-graph.png

Great graph - mind if I share it mate?

Well off people are always so fucking keen to lecture everyone else on how cheaply you can eat.

If I hear one more person talk about how they can make a chicken last a week...

You can, if you've already got a larder full of dry goods (rice, pasta, flour, pulse and beans etc), tinned goods and seasonings. Unfortunately for some povs, they don't have those "larder essentials" that all good members of the chattering classes take for granted.

You can, if you've already got a larder full of dry goods (rice, pasta, flour, pulse and beans etc), tinned goods and seasonings. Unfortunately for some povs, they don't have those "larder essentials" that all good members of the chattering classes take for granted.
The only thing I can think of foodwise that is properly cheap and doesn't require much in the way of skill, equipment, time or effort is fermentation, like making sauerkraut. You do need enough money to buy veg tho.

The only thing I can think of foodwise that is properly cheap and doesn't require much in the way of skill, equipment, time or effort is fermentation, like making sauerkraut. You do need enough money to buy veg tho.

Yep. I'm lucky (thus far). Our housing etc is stable enough that we've been able to accumulate those little extras that the article-writers take for granted, and because I get DLA, we occasionally are able to take advantage of the local cash and carry, or of Lidl's special offers. We usually get 5 of their 1kg vacuum packs of risotto rice and the large bags of various pasta when they do their "Italian week", and buy their 10kg sacks of basmati (yep, two types of rice in the house!), and make other long-term purchases along the same lines, but only because we scrimped for a chest freezer, and have enough-ish space to store bulk dry goods.

Hmmm, must have a look at sauerkraut recipes. :D

What about an intersectional analysis of Buffalo 'I'd fuck me' Bill?

Good point. Buffalo Bill is trying in vain to escape the constraints of his privileged existence and discover a more feminine side. He is the victim of "cissplaining" when it is said that because he wants to cut off people's skins he can't be a real transsexual. Like Hannibal he has tried to pass as a normal human being, but having a few more spokes on the intersectional wheel than Hannibal, his attempts at fitting in to a white cis man's world are doomed to failure. Indeed he tries to live out the maxim "die cis scum". Clarice Starling tries to be an intersectionalist ally when she knocks on his door but ultimately she shows the privileged position even the most well-intentioned white cis female ends up taking when she takes Jack Crawford's side and second place in the kyriarchical structure of the movie when she alerts the other FBI agents to his presence :(

Harris' villains, the real baddies not the 'he's awful but we love him' Hannibal but the proper baddies, are all disfigured/disabled in some way. Red Dragons protaganist has a pretty awful hare lip, I recall my gran telling me to warn my brother about it in case he got upset (he's got a hare lip, not a botch repair like red dragon man)

thread takes another weid non-laura related twist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom