Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Mason might have been taking the piss slightly as it was slightly out of character.

Still staggered she's getting paid to knock out a few posts on twitter during QT.

a friend sums this up:

"
she tweeted a pic of her and owen jones having make-up tea (they fell out because he wrote an article abut George Galloway which she didn’t read properly and thought was about how great Galloway was and she had a massive go at him and he defended himself and she still didn’t read the article and kept having a go at him and all the other twitterati finally managed to get it through to her that he had not said what she said he said and she conceded that owen jones might not have been as clear as he could have done so she invited him to tea so he could apologise) and then they tweeted a pic of them looking abut 12 having a post clear the air tea and cakes cuddle and she was wearing a fedora because sex-pest chic is so now.

And this is what passes for the dialectic these days.

"

Here's a pretty accurate summary of this week's outrage

http://notsobigsociety.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/feminism-the-left-and-unnecessary-twitter-feuds/

And we're off:

"Laurie Penny ‏@BBCExtraGuest: Ooh, we're off! Question Time has Occupied St Pauls!"

"BBC Question Time ‏@bbcquestiontime
@DougMackDodds asks: Why is potential demise of pollinating insects at hands of neonicotinoids not an international emergency? #bbcqt

Laurie Penny ‏@BBCExtraGuest: world governments don't care that the bees are disappearing. But they should. Ask The Doctor (Tennant era)"

:rolleyes: Isn't this meant to assist people who can't afford a TV license?

In what way would it be out of character?
Nah - He's sound but this was a lefty journo defending someone he sees as a comrade... I disagree with him on this but that doesn't mean it's out of character.

I don't mind him at all but I was surprised to see that tweet, don't know why, I guess because I think he's sound I also expected him to also think that Laurie is a charlatan.

What did she think was "spot on from Abbot"? That for anyone to be genuine british like she is that you have to be "proud of the country" and "love the royal family"?

What did she think was "spot on from Abbot"? That for anyone to be genuine british like she is that you have to be proud of the country and "love the royal family"?

If I did twitter, this is what I'd post:

Laurie Penny ‏@BBCExtraGuest
'Class is the issue, not race.' BOOM. #bbcqt

> What are you exploding?

The question of immigration and 'integration' keeps coming up on #bbcqt. We're clearly a nation deeply confused about who and what we are.

> Incision. Surgical.

London's multiculturalism is the best thing about this city, and always has been. #bbcqt #proudlondoner

> aka 'I am considerably more multicultural than yow'

This is what unspoken anxiety over end of the British Empire looks like. We violently imposed 'our' culture on others for centuries #bbcqt

> You are the ongoing imposition.

why is she mates with all of these people? can she not see that if she wants to make some criticisms of class or whatever its a good idea not to be mates with the people exploiting everyone else

Diane Abbott - she who ran for Labour party leadership explicitly to fuck over John McDonnell getting on the ballot, in exchange for a place in the shadow cabinet? That Diane Abbott? Yeah, her. She's a disgrace, but you have gotta hand it to her she's got the ambitious careerism down to a fine art. Going to cambridge certainly does help with this sort of stuff it would seem. No-one should be surprised to see Penny and Abbott as kindred spirits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom