Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow. he went to a cashpoint *expecting* to have money in his bank and thinks he is poor. I mean when I was earning around £15k/yr I usually ran out of money by the end of the month, but I never considered myself to be poor because I was never hungry, never scraping together pennies to buy pasta cos it makes you feel full, never behind on rent and worried about homelessness. I am just constantly amazed by how these people's brains work they seem aware and yet, yet, not a fucking clue. not one.

And who could forget this beauty, from The Guardian in 2009:

perlious.jpg

we're all in this together and we must make some tough decisions.

True. I heard some minister on QT saying that the national debt thingy is just like running a household budget; you can't go on and on spending more than you have...can you ladeeez? I hadn't thought about it like that before; it all makes sense now. i had no idea that macro-economics was so easy.

:facepalm:

For a bit of balance

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/03/youll-never-live-common-people

During my homelessness, I showered at the public facilities in King’s Cross station at £3.50 (later rising to £5) a pop. I saved 20p coins all week and took my clothes to an expensive launderette on a Sunday. I estimate I spent around £2,000 on such basic hygiene during that time; much more than I needed for a deposit and first month’s rent. But I had no choice. I couldn’t afford for work to catch on. I woke up at six every morning, went out through a side alley, showered, shaved, dressed and came back pretending to “open up” for people waiting outside the building. Dissembling was my full time job; being ashamed my hobby.

He should have gone to McDonalds by Kings X and had a wash in the bogs like everyone else.

That isn't such a bad article TBF.

Sell one for their organs and meat, that'll pay for the holiday this year too.

TBF, being middle class and so much more forward-thinking than we peasants are, he'd probably sell the better-looking one at an hourly rate to any paedos he works with. That way he can extract maximum surplus value from them.

True. I heard some minister on QT saying that the national debt thingy is just like running a household budget; you can't go on and on spending more than you have...can you ladeeez? I hadn't thought about it like that before; it all makes sense now. i had no idea that macro-economics was so easy.

:facepalm:

That sort of fuckwitted comprehension of economics always makes me think that the speaker has a degree in the subject.

Follow hashtag #nuswomens13 if your intersectionality levels are low (and apparently Laura failed to show up).

That sort of fuckwitted comprehension of economics always makes me think that the speaker has a degree in the subject.

I know Krugman is still a capitalist pig-dog to some on here but he does take down a Tory who comes out with the "economy is like a household" line here.
From last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom