Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
So? TCD is still one of the best unis in the world.

I know someone at home who has a colleague whose son failed to get into TCD - he got into DCU instead, which is a perfectly respectable institution (as Irish unis go).

Apparently this brat has decided to blame his failure to clear the TCD hurdle on the JOOZ, and is now a keen fan of anti-semitic internet conspiracy theories.

I'm not making this up. I wish I was.

I know someone at home who has a colleague who's son failed to get into TCD - he got into DCU instead, which is a perfectly respectable institution (as Irish unis go).

Apparently this brat has decided to blame his failure to clear the TCD hurdle on the JOOZ, and is now a keen fan of anti-semitic internet conspiracy theories.

I'm not making this up. I wish I was.
No way :facepalm:

Way.

wayne-garth-waynes-world-15834539.jpg

If you want a vision of the future of discourse in politics go and have a lurk on 4chan.

It's mad to think that sites like 4chan have actually influenced some people's personality. Yet when I think about it isn't. Urban's probably had quite an impact on me, in fact I know it has - for better and worse. Posted here throughout my provincial university years, work years, dole years, and then banned for four :oops:

courseMatch-logo.gif

Dear Mr El-Ahrairah

Celebrity journalism course
Want to interview the stars? Top film and entertainment journalist Lisa Marks (Guardian, Marie Claire, Grazia, Red, and former Daily Mirror editor) teaches you to source stories, interview a celebrity, pitch to editors, and deliver compelling copy.

My mates just finished his phd on the 80s riots, he reckons bus drivers and taxi drivers figured prominently in the circulation of info there - as did pirate radio in some places.
I learnt last night also that the boys on the milk floats were key info circualtors. No that they were doing it, but that they were a key part of that night time economy that means that you're out the door at four and seeing lots of people as the day goes.

Fresh off the tweeter, and much to butchers chagrin another isolated quote from Penny:

so i emailed a friend to test the veracity of this story.

Hey you, is it possible to spend years at oxford without knowin about the union?

response:

"I don't think so. They're pretty prominent even if you intentionally have nothing to do with them because they're Tory scum (like I did)."

make of that what you will.

can't believe they had assange adress them vi video link. Its just surreal- our student union got a gig from Richard Blackwood (who was allegedly funny once). International fugitive from rape charges beats that like rock beats scissors

can't believe they had assange adress them vi video link. Its just surreal- our student union got a gig from Richard Blackwood (who was allegedly funny once). International fugitive from rape charges beats that like rock beats scissors

We got Bez from the Happy Mondays "DJ-ing" that's about the best celeb Salford uni managed to attract

The Laurie Penny bullshit-o-meter started ringing today as a routine response to this article http://www.newstatesman.com/politic...gainst-iraq-war-and-i-learned-lesson-betrayal

In particular this sentence - "For me, at the age of 16, there were a lot of firsts on 15 February 2003: first truancy" which is all well and good until you remember than 15th of February was, er, a Saturday. But then it was pointed out "she might've gone to boarding school" aah ok. Did she? Here would appear to be the place to find out. I thought she only had the £6k-a-year minimum access wristband, not the VIP one. Could anyone clarify

Anyway quick note on the article - It reminded me of the Slavoj Zizek reviews of action/apocalypse films like Deep Impact, where essentially the whole world has to die so that some white middle-class American family can be together (with another subtext, that the only thing that can lead to some sort of all-encompassing global solidarity is for the whole world to perish, but I digress). All those Iraqi kids had to die so that Laurie could go on her voyage of personal growth and enlightenment. Pathological narcissism, honed by years of elite education and media indulgence, that's my diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom