Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's rather that she knows that Abbot represents media access and career progression. But fucking hell. A true radical would burn their boats with someone like Abbot. A true politician would stay carefully cordial. But who writes "love x", for FUCK's SAKE?
Someone who feels the need to make the communication public despite the perfectly usable Direct Message function (given that Abbott follows her). Look, I'm talking to important people! In parliament! Vote Lib Dem Labour!

Someone who feels the need to make the communication public despite the perfectly usable Direct Message function (given that Abbott follows her). Look, I'm talking to important people! In parliament! Vote Lib Dem Labour!
Exactly.

She uses tea and biscuits like some kind of Black Hand revolutionary mark. Anarcha-tweed.

Reminds me of tea on a desert island, bell hooks - middle-class university professor - is the companion.

http://feministing.com/2012/10/06/the-feministing-five-laurie-penny/

LP: My mum’s shepherd’s pie, which she calls ‘”away day pie,” because it was what she used to make for me and my sisters to heat up while she was on training courses. Infinite quantities of proper strong tea (I’ve decided this is a cold desert island, but if it isn’t I’ll drink it anyway out of spite and homesickness). If it has to be a famous feminist, I think bell hooks would be great company, but if the shepherd’s pie ran out I’d have real trouble eating her, so I’ll have to go for Sarah Palin, whose repeated misuse of the f-word would only make her taste more delicious.

On the LP front, remember these guys - the New Inquiry where LP is a contributing editor - the UK arm if you like:

6584014463_117cab7b1c_z.jpg

Over four decades before the emergence of “The 99%,” fictional rock star Max Frost told
America's youth they were “The 52%” and it was time to act like a majority. The evening will
include a screening of the 1968 youth-power exploitation film Wild in the Streets, followed by a
panel discussion on the intersection of pop music, filmed spectacle, and revolutionary politics,
framed by the re-emergence of Occupy Wall Street. The panel will include Cosmo Bjorkenheim,
Andrew O’Hehir, Sara Marcus, Greil Marcus and Laurie Penny moderated by TNI editor
Malcolm Harris.

Laurie Penny is a UK-based columnist and activist, and the author of Meat Market: Female Flesh
Under Capitalism and Penny Red. She is a columnist for The New Statesman and recently joined
the TNI editorial board.

This is their new artwork.
The_New_Inquiry_2.gif

I don't know if it's unfair to have a go at it? Can someone identify the bits on the Medusa?

There is
Isaac Newton(?), ??? , Samuel Beckett, T S Eliot, ???, James Baldwin and C L R James.

Who are the other two? It sort of says (considerably) 'more educated than you' but not sure.

It's rather that she knows that Abbot represents media access and career progression. But fucking hell. A true radical would burn their boats with someone like Abbot. A true politician would stay carefully cordial. But who writes "love x", for FUCK's SAKE?
she's hated by most of whats left of the left in parliament

Wiggy could be Jonathan Swift. "Bombast and buffoonery, by nature lofty and light, soar highest of all." True m8.

Fuck it, the whole bit is worth quoting.
The whining passions and little starved conceits are gently wafted up by their own extreme levity to the middle region, and there fix and are frozen by the frigid understandings of the inhabitants. Bombast and buffoonery, by nature lofty and light, soar highest of all, and would be lost in the roof if the prudent architect had not, with much foresight, contrived for them a fourth place, called the twelve-penny gallery, and there planted a suitable colony, who greedily intercept them in their passage.

Black shirt, red cravat. Big fopping hair and thick rimmed glasses.

Fashion is as important too you know?

Love
x

sihhi
cant quote again

Wiggy could be Jonathan Swift. "Bombast and buffoonery, by nature lofty and light, soar highest of all." True m8.

Again I think you're probably right - I thought Newton as in starter of the Western Englightenment and spreader of colonialism then Fanon as the counter-blast stemming from it.

This is how TNI contributors see themselves

Itoro Udoko Photographer / Filmmaker / Writer / Philosopher / Cultural Theorist / Nashville, TN. Seeking authentic pursuits of the mind. I like to create things.
http://thenewinquiry.com/author/itoroudoko/
http://thecreativeroutine.tumblr.com/ (if you click without a page-style overrider)
This is meaningful clothing:
tumblr_mbx2u6iy7N1qd6vooo1_1280.jpg

I think that is looksism.

He told you 'Support grassroots!'
If roll-up trouser style is unwanted, shorts on top of trouser leggings is possible.

73204_331333120307092_1544523213_n.jpg

that looks hideous ffs! What is the matter with them? Fair enough if its the depths of winter and you're just packing on as many layers as you can but they're not even doing that!

Remember that left-wing fashion blog a while ago? Was that for real, or a piss take? :D

I still don't know. :eek:

http://farleftfashion.tumblr.com/post/39849791820/forget-factionalism-in-fighting-and-privilege

Forget factionalism, in-fighting and privilege, one of the biggest stains on the student far-left is how some of the LAAAAAADs choose to dress. Let’s take a moment to look at this photo and try not to cry.
The jogging bottoms, the rain macs, the shabby trainers and.. hey, is that guy wearing the Pali flag as a baby bib?
The only commendation here is Nathan Akehurst’s excellent military jacket. We’re pretty sure the guy next to him is Edward Maltby in 30 years time and the one next to him is Liam Burns with a beard and keffiyeh disguise…

Reminds me of those Diesel adverts.

Diesel is launching its autumn/winter collection with the line "Action! For Successful Living", and a press campaign that shows a series of protests for change.

The Amsterdam-based agency KesselsKramer has created the above-the-line work with EHS Brann developing a website (www.diesel. com) which centres on the theme of taking action.

Both the press creative and online activity take a tongue-in-cheek view of young people acting for change to create better living.

The KesselsKramer work, developed in conjunction with Diesel's in-house creative team, was shot in Paris by the Magnum photographer Carl de Keyzer.

It shows a series of young protesters campaigning for different types of change. Diesel-clad models hold placards saying "Plant more flowers or "Free the goldfish as a humorous spin on the notion of standing up to make a difference.

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/155869/

Gawd, they're going viral. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom