Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
That just scared my cat you bastard :mad:, she was happily purring away on my lap but shot of to the door to try and get out the moment the singing started:D
Ernst-Stavro-Blofeld-007.jpg

emanymton and friend recently

The ongoing success of this thread is comforting somehow, like knowing that not only do bears shit in the woods, but they go back to the same place in the woods to shit every time.

The ongoing success of this thread is comforting somehow, like knowing that not only do bears shit in the woods, but they go back to the same place in the woods to shit every time.

200 pages, each with 30 posts per page, in less than six weeks and an extra 200,000 views. Mental.

It's not that I think she's good. She's a poor and dishonest writer and seriously lacks awareness of her position and how to deal with that. But that said, there's really not much more to be said.

But if urban75 weren't misdirecting its political rage what on earth would the world be coming to?

I also suspect, I'm sorry to say, that a male writer with the same characteristics would not attract the same level of bile. Chewy thought for ya.

We're not exactly massive Hundal fans either.

This is not about gender - and it's quite insulting to suggest that we're criticising her because of her gender - it's about integrity and honesty and having the guts to say 'I don't know much about identity politics/intersectionality/whatever' so I'm going to learn about it before writing about it' instead of making it up/exaggerating/extrapolating from the one thing somebody else said on the subject.

hari got beasted here
Mmm, if I remember rightly most of the attention happened after proven cases of plagiarism, which is a rather different thing. I don't think he got the same level of attention for his everyday writing. I suppose I can't prove that Laurie gets more attention for being a young woman leftie writer but I shall continue to suspect. Sorry for the lack of originality.

Mmm, if I remember rightly most of the attention happened after proven cases of plagiarism, which is a rather different thing. I don't think he got the same level of attention for his everyday writing. I suppose I can't prove that Laurie gets more attention for being a young woman leftie writer but I shall continue to suspect. Sorry for the lack of originality.

Neither can I prove that you spend your spare time masturbating over the corpses of badgers but, well...

If you can be arsed, Brainaddict, I don't blame you if can't. But take a look back from about page 208, it is made quite clear several times that it has nothing to do with what sex Laurie is and everything to do with what she is.

If anything I believe "we" are conscious that it could look like she's getting pasting because of being female. No proof for this of course, only over a decade of posting on urban and having a good 'feel' for the place... urban can sometimes feel quite sanctimonious.

I don't think anyone has called her a cunt for instance and that is the bog standard insult for people on urban.

You have no idea what this thread is actually about or what happened on it. You are also utterly wrong about Hari. But thanks for the oafish sense of entitlement (these sort of people must be doing this sort of thing, people like me can safely assume that, then admonish them fo doing so -for my lazy assumption), came across very well.

Brainaddict said:
It's not that I think she's good. She's a poor and dishonest writer and seriously lacks awareness of her position and how to deal with that. But that said, there's really not much more to be said.

But if urban75 weren't misdirecting its political rage what on earth would the world be coming to?

I also suspect, I'm sorry to say, that a male writer with the same characteristics would not attract the same level of bile. Chewy thought for ya.

Why do you suspect that?

"soi distant is not a proletarian word, such grey-area indecisive posturing is symptomatic of uncertain bourgeois duality and conflicted liberal internal anguish.

we cannot allow such a smudging tone to tarnish our valued struggle to break our class enemies upon the workers' wheel, our bone-crushing tool employed by the productive class to smash the smug entitlement of the commentariat using their own spokes of intersectionality."

all we need now now is video tape communiques delivered to Al Jazeera.

Not true on here, mate. Long before his plagiarism was revealed, people on here were having a pop about the frequency with which he supported his everyday stories with/hung his everyday stories on anonymous anecdote.

He was a better read than Laurie as well wasn't he? I suppose fiction always adds vigour to your writing but he seemed better in terms of style and tone.

A wanker of course. I'm not saying otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom