Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an aside - when I was at the Bookfair this year, and froggy and steph were buying some whatsits from the Freedom Books stand, I made an amused, piss-taking comment about Solanas' "Scum Manifesto" (Freedom were selling it), and you should've seen the look I got from one of the people there - ha ha ha!

She's been trying to crack the US market, trying to tap into america so to speak. Not a whole lot of self awareness on display in her shit salon.com piece.
The room is full of people who won’t speak to you until their handlers approve, all of them trying earnestly to understand the profound change that has taken place in the zeitgeist that provides their income.

“The ability to influence media for a person in my position is much greater,” Badgley tells me. “Although arguably I work very closely to the 1 percent.” The Occupy movement seemed like it was doing just fine before the celebrity bandwagon showed up. So what do these people have to gain from association with the first genuine counter-culture to show up in a generation?

As an aside - when I was at the Bookfair this year, and froggy and steph were buying some whatsits from the Freedom Books stand, I made an amused, piss-taking comment about Solanas' "Scum Manifesto" (Freedom were selling it), and you should've seen the look I got from one of the people there - ha ha ha!

I read the scum manifesto going home on the train :D

The SCUM manifesto is quite a good tribute to the Poverty of Student Life, batshit like but enjoyable none the less.

I think the context to remember is that for all it's craziness, she did shoot Andy Warhol and that can never be a bad thing.

...which led to him handing his film stuff over to the bellicose Paul Morrissey! :D

(Whose films are great, as it happens).

260629_36803922_710047554_n.jpg

More importantly Laurie's now rocking the sexy Vulcan look! If this can result in some more logic coming into her writing then it's a win win as far as I can see.

Facebook event thingy

Housmanns said:
Wednesday, February 8, 2012
7:00pm until 8:30pm

In the space of a year, Laurie Penny has become one of the most prominent voices of the new left. In 2011 she published two books, ‘Meat Market: Female Flesh Under Capitalism’ (Zero Books) and ‘Penny Red: Notes from the New Age of Dissent’ (Pluto Press), which collects Penny's writings on youth politics, resistance, feminism and culture.

Her journalism is a unique blend of persuasive analysis, captivating interviews and first-hand accounts of political direct action. She was involved in all the key protests of 2010/2011, including the anti-fees demos in 2010 and the anti-cuts protests of spring 2011, often tweeting live from the scene of kettles and baton charges. Her blog, 'Penny Red', was shortlisted for the Orwell prize in 2010.
In this talk Laurie will be considering a range of issues raised in her two recent books, focussing particularly on the points where journalism, radicalism and feminism meet.

“Penny is re-inventing the language of dissent, delivering verbal taser-barbs to the left and right, and causing apoplexy among the old men in cardigans who run the British blogosphere.” – Paul Mason, economics editor of BBC’s Newsnight

About The Author

Laurie Penny is a journalist, feminist, and political activist from London. She is a regular writer for the New Statesman’ and The Guardian, and has also contributed to the Independent, Red Pepper and the Evening Standard.

She is the author of ‘Meat Market: Female Flesh Under Capitalism’ (Zero Books, 2011) and ‘Penny Red: Notes from the New Age of Dissent’ (Pluto Press, 2011). She has presented Channel 4's Dispatches and been on the panel of the BBC's Any Questions. Her blog, 'Penny Red', was shortlisted for the Orwell prize in 2010.

£3, redeemable against any purchase

unfortunately Omega cider is currently going for 3 quid per three litres at the local shop so I will have to decline that amazing price and choose to drink myself to death rather than have money reedemable at housemans.

The real problem here is not just censorship, but self-censorship. Cohen points out that British journalists, campaigners and others learn to modify our speech before it ever reaches the point of contention. I will never forget being quietly reminded by other activists, on a demonstration against corporate tax avoidance last year, to chant "tax avoider!" not "tax dodger!". The imprecision of "dodger" might have given grounds for a suit, and we'd already spent all our money on the placards.

given some of the fluffy types active in the anti-cuts movement i can sort of believe this but i doubt it's an everyday occurence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom