Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a particularly verbose piece. She's done well here, this below made me laugh at an event that actually makes me feel quite sad.
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/laurie-penny/2011/11/occupy-wall-books-library

"There is something in the lizard-brain of human civilisation, something in the superego of the species that drove us down from the trees and into the agora that abhors the destruction of books. The gorge rises. You know it's deeply, horribly wrong ten seconds before you remember why."

WUNDERBAR!

there's a load of trot books by callinicos and his ilk in the charity shop near me. am i correct to assume they won't be much cop?

there's a load of trot books by callinicos and his ilk in the charity shop near me. am i correct to assume they won't be much cop?
Resources of Critique aint bad and neither is Against Post Modernism . Not sure about the rest of Callinicos's stuff. Avoid pamphlets!!

He's meant to be a fairly good writer actually, might be worth grabbing them if they're pretty cheap? If they're that bad you can always donate them back again, or to some barry Trotter that comes your way... :D

i think they're a quid a piece. there's fucking loads of them - some ex-swappie lost his faith by the looks of it...

might have another look through. there's some titles that looked like they might have been interesting, but i was suspicious of the company they kept... :D

all of the non-party books up till about Against Postmodernism were worth a read (only read Against the Third Way since then). His two party South Africa books are interesting, if very dated, obviously. Revolutionary Ideas of Karl Marx is as good an inttro to Marx as an official SWP publication could be

I think a fair number of his books are petty good. Short guide is if they're published by bookmarks they're shit - if published by an academic press they're worth a read.

john_rees_mini.jpg

She's even lived in poverty, apparently.

Makes me fucking sick.

This bit is brilliant.
""We were living like a scene from Withnail & I, except there was no space to move," she said. "It was very miserable. People get very depressed – that level of poverty has a bad effect on your mental health, it makes people feel that nothing will ever get better. I know that is the situation for a lot of people, but for young graduates, middle-class people, it is a real shock. It is not sufficiently recognised at all – how poor the rates are in the benefit system."

This bit is brilliant.
""We were living like a scene from Withnail & I, except there was no space to move," she said. "It was very miserable. People get very depressed – that level of poverty has a bad effect on your mental health, it makes people feel that nothing will ever get better. I know that is the situation for a lot of people, but for young graduates, middle-class people, it is a real shock. It is not sufficiently recognised at all – how poor the rates are in the benefit system."

Posho realises in a limited shitty safe way that many working class youth have it harder than her and her mates. I must say that I'm shocked this self-appointed voice of the people didn't know this until she farted about like a dilettante.

i think they're a quid a piece. there's fucking loads of them - some ex-swappie lost his faith by the looks of it...

might have another look through. there's some titles that looked like they might have been interesting, but i was suspicious of the company they kept... :D
which one? Oxfam? I might have a trawl through when I'm up here

one of the new shabby ones in the guildhall arcade. i'm not even sure what the charity is it's raising funds for (it's called the rainbow charity shop, so probably either gay rights or a cancer ridden child).

This bit is brilliant.

Ye gods! I hate to invoke the Littlejohn, but really, "you couldn't make it up".

Her song for today, then:

I have donated nearly all my swappie books to charity, but I kept my copies of Callitoff's series of books on south africa, for sheer chortle quality as they continue to insist that 'aparthied cannot be reformed away, only workers wevolution will sweep it away' right up to after mandela is elected president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom