Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently she was advised not to publish anything on it because it could affect the individual concerned and that she should instead get in touch with Samaritans and so on. But she went ahead and published anyway - we've only got the bloke's word for it who she apparently asked for advice so there might be more to it but it doesn't look good.

Abit of sniffing around on twitter and it appears that several people who are mental health professionals (mainly nurses) told her to get in touch with Samaritans, Mind etc. but rather than heading this advice and taken it on board she used the person's distress as a vehicle for her own self gain.

That may link up with the screen shots of the tweets Firky posted earlier on in this thread.
I found some comments on NS saying similar too but now I am looking for htem I can't find them. Arse!

4)Pretty much make shit up. That way you can even write it before the event. If anyone calls you on it, blame it on misogyny, sectarianism or jealousy.

'Form journalism' in the same style as a form letter, you mean? Write up some piece of outright bullshit with blank bits where you insert names/dates/quotes and a few cliches here and there?

That would mean that Penny Dreadful could churn out reams of poorly-written, fabricated-yet-lucrative garbage while seldom having to indulge in anything so tiresome as fact-checking?

Oh, wait...

Just sat down to watch "The Mummy Returns"...as you do. Some Egyptian guy...son of the desert...and immortal guardian of some piece of sacred shite...has just announced to the clean cut American geezer: "If you don't embrace your past, you have no future."

Profound stuff....no?

"For every writer and activist, the class we're from matters-but not as much as the class we fight for"

Seems the Voice of a Generation speaks with he wisdom of countless generations gone. Except...as Bertrand taught us..

Suppose there is a class of all classes that are not included in themselves. A paradox arises from asking the question of whether this class is in itself. It is a member of itself if and only if it is not a member of itself. This is Russell's paradox.

#@Badassperger @judeinlondon it's about understanding privilege, not excusing it.#

See she's been brushing up on her Marx again..."Theses on Feuerbach", I presume...

"the philosophers have only excused privilege, the point is to...erm...understand it"....nothing about "changing it", you'll notice.

Self-serving reactionary bourgeois soup dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom