Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, don't you, that this is why we can't have nice things. Like a revolution.

I'm sure your hearts are in the right place, but collectively you come across like a bunch of creepy bedroom bullies.

Question:

If we were all permanently blowing sunshine up your arse and praising you to the heavens as though you could do no wrong, would we still come across as being unpleasant and misguided?

You know, don't you, that this is why we can't have nice things. Like a revolution.

I'm sure your hearts are in the right place, but collectively you come across like a bunch of creepy bedroom bullies.

FYI, collectively, you and your media chums come across as exactly the same as all your predecessors, who never did anything whatsoever for the revolution. It's not "disunity" to recognise things for what they are.

laura said:

OK, let's get down to it. Material politics - revolution is stopped because people dislike privilege? Generally and practically privilege is shown to be a driver of revolution. Rather than a retardant.

The internationale is a good fucking tune and I won't hear anything against it.
Welcome Laurie. The internationale is a good tune but it is really hard to get the words to scan to it. Perhaps you know someone who could write new ones. I don't mean in the style of the Billy Bragg version which would pass for a middle of the road non-conformist hymn. But a modern take would be useful.

Are you here as a result of doing a search for that violent cartoon that Firky insulted you with? If so you will have discovered that it was not created by him and was not originally about you. There are several versions around, one with the two attackers being computer nerds into Mac and MS while the victim is into Linux, another with an atheist and a christian attacking someone from some other sect. In all versions of this cartoon the victim although smaller than the attackers is a male with ginger hair not a woman. Firky the re-publisher of the cartoon is a bit of a mixed character - find out more about him on these very boards if you can be bothered.

I've risked arrest by doing my job many times. Every time, it's a calculated risk about how important the story you're doing today is compared to all the stories you might not be able to do in the future if you're arrested or get on a blacklist. I have been assaulted by police officers, grabbed and thrown away from the 'wrong' side of official reporting lines and watched my friends beaten bloody, and then I come home to people like you telling me my work is invalid, and I continue to do what I do despite being attacked by so-called comrades because I think those stories need to be told.
can I ask, have you actually spent a night in the cells (or longer) as a result of your actions?

I'm genuinely glad that you are reporting from that side of the police lines, but can you see why this sort of post might grate with other activists who've never been paid for their activism, quite the contrary for most it actually costs serious amounts of money at least in terms of lost income, using up holiday time, or attempting to scrape a living on the dole while campaigning / building up for big actions?

We all make sacrifices at various stages of our lives / activism, it comes with the territory, along with arrests, police intimidation, police violence etc. You're far from unique in this, but you are almost unique in actually getting paid for it. If you're going to come on here playing the game of 'I'm a bigger activist than you', then you're onto a bit of a looser really tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom