Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually can't believe you're now criticising me for not reading and responding to all 209 pages in their entirety. For fuck's sake, I work for a living.

Where did anyone criticise you for not reading the thread? :confused:

I just made a comment that not every post on this thread is as weird as the "bathroom one"

Genuine question, Laurie. A couple of pages back there's some critique of Margaret Mead's famous quote about how only a handful of dedicated people can change the world, et cetera. I'd be interested to hear your response to those who find that quote carries a great deal of unexamined baggage, baggage of the most elitist variety to boot.
Wasn't her- was another of these types.Which reinforces the wider argument.

Never doubt that a small group of committed people can spend time unpacking the layers of issues relating to writing about class issues from a specific platform, without being taken seriously by those on that class platform at all.

Or, this thread.

(May contain irreverance, as serious criticism is hard and depressing)

Sure, there are some useful bits of critique in there, but they're hard to pick out amongst the reams of faff, rumour, fabrication and leery sexism, and frankly I'd rather seek constructive criticism from people who aren't also flinging around bullshit around about how my housemates sniff my knickers. I'm not sure if you're aware just how creepy you appear.

Sure, there are some useful bits of critique in there, but they're hard to pick out amongst the reams of faff, rumour, fabrication and leery sexism, and frankly I'd rather seek constructive criticism from people who aren't also flinging around bullshit around about how my housemates sniff my knickers. I'm not sure if you're aware just how creepy you appear.

Oh, I think that particular person is precisely aware of how he appears, don't worry!

i thought you said you didn't have time to read the thread

Which bits have you picked out as useful critiques thus far? How far in are you?

Whilst I appreciate constructive criticism, you're wrong. I work hard every day to make sure I'm working for something bigger and more important than myself in the best way I know how. If my way of doing politics offends you, there are surely better ways to express it than speculating that "something about her appearance that makes me think that if she'd been in the bathroom for a number two, you'd be well advised to give it a fair bit longer than ten minutes before going in after her."

:D

I actually can't believe you're now criticising me for not reading and responding to all 209 pages in their entirety. For fuck's sake, I work for a living.
now that's a revelation that never made it into this thread.

If you work for a living and still find time to write the odd article and 13,000 tweets in your spare time, then I'd have to respect that.;)

Actually, no tbh I'm glad that at least someone's out there reporting on the side of things that you've reported on, and at least you've got some attitude and passion for what you're writing about. You do sometimes come out with some daft stuff as well though, as do we all, but you're in the public eye so it's bound to get picked up on and pulled to bits on here. Rest assured though, we rip each other's daft posts to bits far more than yours.

This thread is a theatre seat conversation - which includes weird hecklers. Consider your work our performance, and our criticism valid despite hecklers. Try.

But why? Why should I?

The valid criticism is all stuff I've heard before and answered elsewhere (http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=13926 here's just one of the places where I talk about journalism and class privilege and what it means and how we can change it). I'm actively involved in a number of campaigns that aim to change and challenge the bourgeois commentariat model.

But not only do I suspect that that doesn't matter to you, I find it hard to consider any criticism valid when it comes peppered with ugly misogyny and crass schoolboy bullying. You invalidate your own arguments by being frankly creepy and stalkery.

I have to get back to work now.

muppets.jpg

This thread is these chaps, scripted by Judith Butler/Frankie Boyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom