Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she talks shite, is it wrong to tell her that she talks shite?

There's a bit of the drama queen about her claims of 'internet violence'...

Even if this thread goes on for another 1000 pages you will not see anything weirder than Laura posing in front of that shitty painting.

View attachment 26133

And y'know people said Arthur Scargill had a big ego, fucking hell you just wait 'til this generation of post-class, neo-liberal Oxbridge Twats currently masquerading as the Voice of the Radical Left in Britain reaches maturity. They'll make Uncle Arthur look bashful by comparison.

If she talks shite, is it wrong to tell her that she talks shite?

There's a bit of the drama queen about her claims of 'internet violence'...

1. No, it isn't wrong. It does, however, offend her sense of ego and sense of entitlement while appealing to what seems like something of a martyr complex. Somehow I doubt that the concept of constructive criticism is something she's all that keen to engage with.

2. As far as the 'drama queen' thing goes, see 1 above and also any publicity is good publicity when there's the chance of an extra byline in it. After all, why suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune for free when you can be paid to sling together a sixth-form school newspaper-standard account of how you're always suffering baseless misery inflicted by the world's entire supply of online nasties?

And y'know people said Arthur Scargill had a big ego, fucking hell you just wait 'til this generation of post-class, neo-liberal Oxbridge Twats currently masquerading as the Voice of the Radical Left in Britain reaches maturity. They'll make Uncle Arthur look bashful by comparison.

At least Arthur was never (as far as I know) on Twitter.

Capitalism can rest easy when all the 'rebels' are sticking their tongues out at each other on Twitter and so on-making money for capitalists in the process.

Today's society has made satire redundant.

Oh no it hasn't!

_46891445_dame512.jpg

by virtue of her relationship to the means of production. She has to sell her labour power for a wage. Her (creative) labour goes towards the production of a commodity which is sold for profit.

She is also young and vaguely pretty.

by virtue of her relationship to the means of production. She has to sell her labour power for a wage. Her (creative) labour goes towards the production of a commodity which is sold for profit.

She is also young and vaguely pretty.

Technically you could say the same thing about Wayne Rooney y'know.

£120k a week....

Possibly. But she's certainly part of that privileged part of the proletariat often called the middle class; upper, in her case. And we don't know how much capital she owns, since she's not open about her finances. Harry Cole off Guido's website claims she's "loaded", and she's already admitted that she inherited enough money to live in London for a year. Does she have a trust fund? In that case she basically lives largely off the rents from her capital.

I can see people's point that they think I want to smack LP up but it's more of an assault on her politics than her physical self, it's quite easy to understand the allegory (?) behind it, surely?
It's a bloody stupid way to put it and it makes you look like a bully; I think you can see this tbh.

Possibly. But she's certainly part of that privileged part of the proletariat often called the middle class; upper, in her case. And we don't know how much capital she owns, since she's not open about her finances. Harry Cole off Guido's website claims she's "loaded", and she's already admitted that she inherited enough money to live in London for a year. Does she have a trust fund? In that case she basically lives largely off the rents from her capital.

this is what i thought. But until we find out for sure her true class background, the main body of criticism seems to be based around that fact that she is:

1. privileged
2. a journalist who lies.

Is that really worth 207 pages?

this is what i thought. But until we find out for sure her true class background, the main body of criticism seems to be based around that fact that she is:

1. privileged
2. a journalist who lies.

Is that really worth 207 pages?

Maybe not but along the way there have been a fair few lols and a good critique of the emergence of a new generation of the "commentariat".

I am sure Laurie Penny would say a lot more about her class background if it was "cred".

Damn right it's worth it!

And yes, firky that thing was crap and undermines the good parts of the thread - and oddly enough, makes it all about Laura, when close observers know that it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom