Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, does appear to still be the case. Or at least i can't find anything saying the situation has now changed.

As recently as last week Private Eye mentioned that Cowley was being two-faced, giving it the biggun about the TUs at Conference, when he refuses to recognise the NUJ at the Statesman

Discordia’s Gonzo Journos Analyze, Illustrate Greece’s Deep Debt Crisis

cantina_social_small.jpg

The illustrated e-book format is an experiment in form for both of us," said Penny. "We're both pushing our boundaries and trying to do something unexpected and original with a medium that is still relatively untested. Why not? Why shouldn't young women be ambitious, and serious, and try to work on a large canvas, or reshape the canvas to suit ourselves?
If they were any more self-absorbed they'd implode.

The illustrated e-book format is an experiment in form for both of us," said Penny. "We're both pushing our boundaries and trying to do something unexpected and original with a medium that is still relatively untested. Why not? Why shouldn't young women be ambitious, and serious, and try to work on a large canvas, or reshape the canvas to suit ourselves?
It's pictures and texts in digital format, it's not the unveiling of bloody Les Demoiselles d'Avignon.

Who buys her shite? Its surely not exotic enough for student lefties, it's hardly Negri, Zizek or communisation level hip, is it? I mean if you are going to be a pretentious student radical atleast do it proper rather than going for new look highstreet knock offs!

i got that, but what does the caption mean in relation to the story that they're trying to tell about greece? why are there glasses on the floor? i mean, i get that my political analysis is a bit short on the really heavy theory shit but am i being sold a "What I did On My Holidays" picture book as some sort of text.

i got that, but what does the caption mean in relation to the story that they're trying to tell about greece? why are there glasses on the floor? i mean, i get that my political analysis is a bit short on the really heavy theory shit but am i being sold a "What I did On My Holidays" picture book as some sort of text.
They saw it written somewhere and thought it was great so went and got pissed in a social centre? Note the cool barman - little bit racism that one. I don't think there's anything hidden in this one.

They saw it written somewhere and thought it was great so went and got pissed in a social centre? Note the cool barman - little bit racism that one. I don't think there's anything hidden in this one.
I think the barman is their mate, the iphone blue peter appeal star guy.

Wowsers. Why does the solo man with darkened glasses looking at an angle that meets Molly's neck and below... look so dodgy?

Plus that graffiti line is one which many Greeks in the movement now apparently find annoying. It gets everywhere usually after some more standard graffiti like Fotia stis trapezes! (Fire to the banks) has already appeared.

WO-AG317_GREECE_G_20110715202804.jpg

It started off as a piss-take of the Greek Tourism board's adverts:
LIVEYOURMYTHINGREECE.jpg

There's lots of graffiti in lots of places - it's almost as if they chose the one in English because they could understand it:
graffiti-covered-streets.jpg

she just told me on twitter she speaks differently to a-political people

(after her and owen ganged up on a gay blogger for calling david laws bit on the side his fuck buddy)

Can you explain this? Who called who a what, and why were they annoyed?

Also if you look at where LP went in Italy it was a fancy literary festival organised by what looks like the equivalent of the New Statesman/New Internationalist/TLS/Mother Jones - Internazionale.

969.jpg

(That's Alan Rusbridger, editor of the Guradian)

She is introduced as "Laurie Penny, giovane columnist di. Indipendent e attivista di Occupy Wall Street;"
Young columnist and activist from Occupy Wall Street

8070689394_f7d98c76f3_z.jpg

There she's debating stereotypes of masculinity.

This Amanda Palmer figure is fascinating.

Everybody is too wrapped up in their own insecurities to worry about your dress being drenched in period blood?
Exactly, right. The only thing to ever be embarrassed about is the level and the height of anxious insecurity in your own head.

http://www.mtvhive.com/2012/09/10/amanda-palmer-interview-theatre-is-evil/
Let’s talk about Kickstarter. How much did you raise again? A million something?
It closed at 1.2 million.
That’s insane! You’re like a Jerry Lewis telethon.
[Laughs.] I guess so.
Did it exceed all of your expectations?
Not really. It didn’t exceed my expectations by that much. I was hoping we’d hit a million.
I thought you’d ballparked the best case fundraising scenario at $100,000.
$100,000 was an absolute bottom line, because Kickstarter asks you to list a minimum. But that was far below what we hoped and expected to make. I made a conservative estimate that we’d raise somewhere between $400,000 and $500,000.
Even $500,000 would’ve been amazing. It’s counter-intuitive to everything we think we know about the fan/ recording artist relationship in 2012.
You think so?
Well sure. The economy is in the crapper. The world is evenly divided between the broke and destitute, and fat cats lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills. And we’re in a consumer culture where people regularly steal music rather than pay for it. But you’ve somehow convinced your fans not just to pay for your album but donate millions to get it produced and distributed. How the hell does that happen?
I think people love supporting art. And I think even in a recession, especially in a recession, people love supporting art because it’s what brings them meaning. A vast majority of people who gave money to the Kickstarter campaign gave $1 or $5 or whatever they could give. A handful of people who could afford more gave more. But this is a giant community that I’m in. It’s an art and music community, and I think people felt like they were supporting something much bigger than just me and this album. They were supporting Kickstarter.

Can you explain this? Who called who a what, and why were they annoyed?

owen and ellie were accusing some blogger of being homophobic for referring to laws fuckbuddy as his fuckbuddy. i took the piss out of them a bit and ellie said she wouldnt speak in the same way to an a-political person (or something like that)

owen and ellie were accusing some blogger of being homophobic for referring to laws fuckbuddy as his fuckbuddy. i took the piss out of them a bit and ellie said she wouldnt speak in the same way to an a-political person (or something like that)

So was that blogger being homophobic or not?
I don't rate Ellie very high after her enthusiasm for Hollande in the French elections, just want to know I'm not overdoing it.

no not at all, apparently fuckbuddy is a homophobic term (according to ellie it would have been misogynist if Laws was straight as i recall)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom