Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

‘March for the Alternative’ - 26th March - London

It did serve a useful purpose, it allowed the right-wing media to distract all attention away from any legitimate point the protesters may have had.

That would have happened anyway, and if something hadn't happened, it's evens something would have been manufactured. Lightbulbs filled with ammonia, anyone?

Ok VP, indulge me and pretend I'm some bright and fresh faced kid from the sticks who wants to get involved in fighting the cuts. Explain to me why smashing up a few shop fronts could be a useful thing to do.

i) The BBC preferentially covers protests with a little aggro.*

ii) Any decent-sized protest is going to involve a wee bit of aggro at some point from those 'bad elements'. The media will tend to talk about a 'naughty minority', but this implies a 'reasonable majority'.

iii) This gives you the opportunity to put your point across.

* - not just the Beeb, mind

There's a big fucking issue here,

I know lets go to Oxford Street and smash some windows ffs.

If that isn't dumb then fuck me sideways.

Anyway I'm tired now, its very draining posting your opinion when it goes against the grain on an anarchists forum.

What amazes me, its a bit like saying I have no talent.........

I know, I'll become an anarchist and smash a few windows., that'll make a difference, yeah right.

Why do you think the far-left hasn't got anywhere? On a good day they manage to smash a few windows, most of the time they sit around on web forums wanking about the last time the did an 'action' or debating obscure political theory.

There's a big fucking issue here,

I know lets go to Oxford Street and smash some windows ffs.

If that isn't dumb then fuck me sideways.

Anyway I'm tired now, its very draining posting your opinion when it goes against the grain on an anarchists forum.

What amazes me, its a bit like saying I have no talent.........

I know, I'll become an anarchist and smash a few windows., that'll make a difference, yeah right.

How would you make a difference then?

So let's go around smashing things up because we might be able to justify it one day. Ffs.

Not for the first time, I'll have to ask you to not put words in my mouth, thanks all the same.

And what, cumulative business pressure on government to pursue less right wing policies because a few shop fronts got done over??

No, because the specific nature of the attacks on specific businesses that symbolise a wider problem (note how well-targeted much of the vandalism has been) is drawing unwanted attention to those businesses.

Why do you think the far-left hasn't got anywhere? On a good day they manage to smash a few windows, most of the time they sit around on web forums wanking about the last time the did an 'action' or debating obscure political theory.

Don't forget those preparing for a massacre in the May elections.

Its an education on here though.

But useless irl.

They get about as far as the not so left with less smashed windows. lets all just forget about it - you cant change things people, youre wasting your time.

Are these the people you said you would support?

Yes I'll support anyone who gets made a victim of police mistreatment. The plod seemed pretty laid back about the whole affair from an outsiders point of view. I was arguing with some people saying how stupid May's call for new police powers were though. Typical reactionary shite from the Home Sec.

Are these the people you said you would support?

I thought he said he'd defend peaceful protesters.

Moon you used to be an anarchist. What has amazed me throughout all of your political "journey" is how little empathy you now have for people who used to be your mates ??

Ok VP, indulge me and pretend I'm some bright and fresh faced kid from the sticks who wants to get involved in fighting the cuts. Explain to me why smashing up a few shop fronts could be a useful thing to do.

Well, assuming that a bright kid from the sticks would need it explained to them, see my post #1272.

Ah ok, cheers for clarifying that for me, I was starting to wonder whether I was actually being charged with aggravated trespass, but tbh the actual naming of the offence sounds less serious so I'll stick to that when talking to my employer :)
I am thinking of suing the police, legal advice pending of course, if I have a case I will definitely do it and put any compo into a solidarity fund for protestors, as I'm sure everyone else will

no worries. I reckon you'll do absolutely fine out of this. There's so many elements to the offence that haven't been established and proving 'intent' is always a difficult job for the prosecution, plus the video footage you got pretty much everything on your side.

Good luck on the 12th, let us know how it goes.

Yes I'll support anyone who gets made a victim of police mistreatment. The plod seemed pretty laid back about the whole affair from an outsiders point of view. I was arguing with some people saying how stupid May's call for new police powers were though. Typical reactionary shite from the Home Sec.

Is this the new party line?

I thought he said he'd defend peaceful protesters.

Moon you used to be an anarchist. What has amazed me throughout all of your political "journey" is how little empathy you now have for people who used to be your mates ??

He's never been an anarchist. Posh kid, playing at rebelling. Always been a liberal.

What people?

These people.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2011/mar/28/fortnum-mason-protesters-uk-uncut-video?CMP=twt_gu

I do think there is a need for some cuts, so I can't support such a general protest against cuts generally. However I wish everyone who attends tomorrow a good day, and hope they don't fall foul of the met's bully boys. Even though I disagree with your aims I will be the first to speak out if I see any evidence of police trying to surpress your right to protest.

I thought Lightbulbs filled with ammonia was a euphemism for bottles of piss.

No, the police claimed that lightbulbs filled with ammonia were thrown at them.

Piss contains very little ammonia (about 3% IIRC), so is a lot less harmful than ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom