Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why the lib-dems are shit

I can't believe I have to wait another year or however it takes for another election to be called before I get to point out to my liberal friends that parliament is the problem.

So, what did the liberals deliver in the end?

Not PR.
Agreement on £6 billion worth of attacks on us.
And a tory Government.

Well done.

Very well done. Round of applause.

*clap*
*clap*

In the intense negotiations with the Lib Dems, the Tories agreed to drop their plans to raise the threshold for inheritance tax, but the Lib Dems accepted that spending cuts will start this year as part of an accelerated deficit reduction plan.

They are so fucked now:

There’s a basic psephological point here. The Lib Dems benefit a lot from tactical voting, as we know. Since they failed to make the much-anticipated breakthrough against Labour in the northern cities, their MPs tend to sit for rural and suburban constituencies in the south. Their main rivals in those seats are the Tories; twice as many Lib Dem MPs have a Tory as their nearest challenger as a Labourite. They benefit rather a lot from squeezing Labour votes on the basis that they are the best-placed anti-Tory candidates. So, how easy will fighting elections on an anti-Tory basis be now? And that’s without considering Simon Hughes or Sarah Teather, who have held off Labour challenges on the basis of positioning themselves to Labour’s left. Hughes’ seat is safe, but I fear wee Sarah may be toast.

One thing about the maths. The Lib Dems hold 57 seats in the Commons. If we take majorities of less than 10% – which is to say seats that would be vulnerable on a 5% swing – as being marginal, that encompasses a full 27 of those 57, and some of those majorities are very small indeed. If pissed-off Lib Dem voters decamp to Labour or the Greens in any numbers – or if some choose to vote real Tory rather than ersatz Tory – then Cleggy had better hope that he gets PR as part of the deal. With PR, he could lose half his votes and come out ahead in terms of seats. Without PR, the Lib Dems could be Donald Ducked in a very serious way.

And oh yes, he’d better hope that law on fixed-term parliaments is rushed through quickly, for if I was Nick Clegg I wouldn’t want to be facing my voters any time soon.

What ho! Look at my purple tie!

David-Cameron-and-Nick-Cl-007.jpg

Lib-dems manifesto commitment on the central question of the election: cuts next year, immediate cuts would do irrevocable harm to the recovery putting jobs at risk
Lib-dems agreement today : immediate cuts

Clegg:

These are some of the early achievements of a government that had its first cabinet meeting just two days ago. A new government but, more important, a new kind of government: plural, diverse; a Liberal Democrat-Conservative coalition that defies the rules of old politics.

Is this the UK's first vibrant govt?

For planning to force through their plans to privatise Royal Mail

The government is preparing for another potentially explosive confrontation with the postal unions by attempting to privatise Royal Mail, the Guardian has learned.

Vince Cable, the business secretary, is determined to press ahead with a restructuring of the group, which could embroil the government in a dispute with the Communication Workers Union.

Cable has asked Ed Davey, his fellow Liberal Democrat and junior minister at the business department, to prepare the plan in detail.

Because in their rainbow Tory-Green-Lib Dem coalition in Leeds they cut weekend opening for pensioner day centres in 2004-05.

Multi-millionaire lib-dem MP tasked with aggressively cutting back public spending with the knock on effects likely to put tens of thousands out of work whilst worsening conditions and services for the rest of us caught red-handed ripping off the taxpayer for what would be peanuts to him:

MPs' Expenses: Treasury chief David Laws, his secret lover and a £40,000 claim

The Cabinet minister charged with rescuing the Government’s finances has used taxpayers’ money to pay more than £40,000 to his long-term partner, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

The disclosure is the first big setback for the Coalition. Mr Laws, a Liberal Democrat, has the task of implementing public-sector cuts worth more than £6 billion.

He has already drawn up tough new rules limiting the pay and perks of hundreds of thousands of public sector workers. However, his hard-line approach could be undermined by the disclosure of his own controversial use of public money.

The Daily Telegraph’s Expenses Files show that between 2004 and 2007, Mr Laws claimed between £700 and £950 a month to sub-let a room in a flat in Kennington, south London. This flat was owned by the MP’s partner who was also registered as living at the property. The partner sold the flat for a profit of £193,000 in 2007.

In 2007, Mr Laws’s partner then bought another house nearby for £510,000. The MP then began claiming to rent the “second bedroom” in this property. His claims increased to £920 a month. The partner also lived at the property. Mr Laws’s main home is in his Yeovil constituency. The arrangement continued until September 2009, when parliamentary records show that Mr Laws switched his designated second home and began renting another flat at taxpayers’ expense. His partner remained at the Kennington house.

Thieving lib-dem David Laws said:
“The era of plenty is over — there are going to be years of austerity ahead...

the economist from last week claims that the rifts are likely to be based on the home security matters. it makes an assertion that now that lib dems are in the government, they are more likely to become conservative.

An informal arrangement that gives Mr Clegg’s party great influence on economic policy but relatively little on matters of security may be enough to keep the coalition a happy ship. But some Tories go a step further, and privately predict that the Lib Dems will themselves become less libertarian in office. After all, they will be privy to disturbingly detailed intelligence about terrorist threats (an experience which affected their Labour predecessors deeply) and forced to participate in decisions, rather than mere parliamentary deliberations, about matters of life and death

http://www.economist.com/world/britain/displaystory.cfm?story_id=16171311

Back
Top Bottom