Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I made some semolina for tea. And ate it with a big splodge of raspberry jam. No doubt it was nutritionally a poor tea, but it was what I wanted and it was lovely.

I'll have proper tea tomorrow. A steak, I've decided, with a dirty great salad and a baked potato.

Tonight was rice and peas (sadly not the tasty Caribbean version plus chicken), just rice and common and garden peas (and a few other bits of veg) Had two big bowls full, still hungry.
Cheese on toast in a minute, methinks.

Tomorrow is a big day, will be making my first ever macaroni cheese. Spent the best part of the last hour studying the urban archives on the subject. Am getting nervous already: macaroni cheese is serious business round these parts it seems!

Tonight was rice and peas (sadly not the tasty Caribbean version plus chicken), just rice and common and garden peas (and a few other bits of veg) Had two big bowls full, still hungry.
Cheese on toast in a minute, methinks.

Tomorrow is a big day, will be making my first ever macaroni cheese. Spent the best part of the last hour studying the urban archives on the subject. Am getting nervous already: macaroni cheese is serious business round these parts it seems!

A little bit of wholegrain mustard goes a long way :)

Chips & battered sausage last night with lager. Tonight the builders are going home to see their families so its just me, will probably reheat the sausage, mash & gravy leftovers from Sunday. Hoping by the end of Thursday to have running water in the kitchen.

I like a bit of English mustard powder in my macaroni cheese, but not wholegrain.

However, the very mention of wholegrain mustard makes me want to eat big spoonfuls of it with sausages, so just texted the fella to take out the veggie Cumberland saussies from the freezer, which we'll have with mashed spud, steamed savoy, carrots, and possibly mushy peas too :cool: Phwoarr!

It is my Mum's birthday tea (she is living with us atm), so it's a chippy tea from the chip van for everyone apart from me because I'll get home too late :(.
I've got an M&S ready meal of beef stroganoff.
I will be there for the cake though (because I bought it at lunchtime so no one is having cake before I get home)

The chip van was late and it arrived in our street at the same time I did :cool:
So last night was fish and chips, followed by M&S blackcurrant and apple crumble cake - yum!

Tonight will be salmon wellington, new potatoes, brocolli and cauli.

I like a bit of English mustard powder in my macaroni cheese, but not wholegrain.

However, the very mention of wholegrain mustard makes me want to eat big spoonfuls of it with sausages, so just texted the fella to take out the veggie Cumberland saussies from the freezer, which we'll have with mashed spud, steamed savoy, carrots, and possibly mushy peas too :cool: Phwoarr!

ooh i could have this tonight aswell. Yummy comfort food :cool: I have all the ingredients. Minus the mustard. But that can easily be rectified :cool:

How's the new oven ringo?:)

I love it, only had a handful of outings so far but everything has been cooked perfectly. Loving the fan assist for even cooking, much more controllable than gas. Our kitchen fitter did a pizza last night and it crisped up the base nicely. Getting a new hood delivered today.

Can't wait for the new kitchen to go in, it's a cook's dream to design your own kitchen and choose every appliance to go in it, never had the opportunity (money) before.

Two mates have me a bit worried though - they reckon they've had issues with the fan assisted oven in Smeg cookers and now have to just use the top and bottom heater parts when using the main oven. I'm ignoring them and will continue using it as I want. To me a cooker should be the workhorse of the kitchen and should be able to take anything you throw at it. Be a bit fucked off if it turns out to be a bit shite after spending nearly £900 on it.

ooh i could have this tonight aswell. Yummy comfort food :cool: I have all the ingredients. Minus the mustard. But that can easily be rectified :cool:
Best thing about winter, the food. I fucking hate being cold, but my god the FOOOD!! We've taken to having proper porridge every morning now too :cool:

Best thing about winter, the food. I fucking hate being cold, but my god the FOOOD!! We've taken to having proper porridge every morning now too :cool:

how do you define 'proper' porridge? Just out of curiousity. Always interested in how other people eat their porridge :D

I love it, only had a handful of outings so far but everything has been cooked perfectly. Loving the fan assist for even cooking, much more controllable than gas. Our kitchen fitter did a pizza last night and it crisped up the base nicely. Getting a new hood delivered today.

Can't wait for the new kitchen to go in, it's a cook's dream to design your own kitchen and choose every appliance to go in it, never had the opportunity (money) before.

Two mates have me a bit worried though - they reckon they've had issues with the fan assisted oven in Smeg cookers and now have to just use the top and bottom heater parts when using the main oven. I'm ignoring them and will continue using it as I want. To me a cooker should be the workhorse of the kitchen and should be able to take anything you throw at it. Be a bit fucked off if it turns out to be a bit shite after spending nearly £900 on it.
You've got to take pics when it's done, please :)

we've been having porridge here too lately. AND I was very excited to see parsnips in the supermarket the other day. don't see them round these parts so much.... really getting into the winter food now too! yay!

how do you define 'proper' porridge? Just out of curiousity. Always interested in how other people eat their porridge :D
I mean as opposed to Ready Brek. I got a big bag of Scottish oats from the Co op for 69p, I only use half a small cup between two of us, and about 450ml of milk. Mix, keep stirring til bring to boil, simmer for 3 mins, done.

Proper porridge can be made with water/salt (as my fucking mother used to make it - it's like eating snot), or with milk, or milk/water. What makes it 'proper' is using just oats, not a prepared cereal

Macaroni cheese fail at the first hurdle: no macaroni! I'm gonna have a look in some other shops in a bit, but have a feeling they all only stock the ubiquitous spaghetti, spirali and penne.
Might have to go penne cheese, which is a bit disappointing on this momentous occasion. Maybe I'll just call it generic pasta bake to avoid further disappointment...

I can reveal that I was planning to make a simple version (no toms, no bacon etc in it), with bay-leaf infused milk and a leetle bit of mustard.

Back
Top Bottom