Cheese and Marmite Toastie

Toastie! Cheese! Marmite! Yes? No?

• YES !

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • NO !

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters
I got mine on Amazon. $7US. I've never seen it in a store anywhere here

I did just as instructed. Spread it thinly on toasted bread. I really liked it. My wife, however had no interest in trying any...
The only issue that I had was the vscosity. More like honey than the peanut butter I was expecting , so I made a bit of a mess

TBH, I used bread that was almost stale, because if I didn't like it I was going to throw it away. It would probably taste even better on fresh bread, which I'll purchase this weekend...

It's also great as a cooking ingredient - use a small dob of marmite in stews and casseroles the same sort of way you'd use Worcestershire sauce or other umami condiment (just taste the dish before adding additional salt if needed towards the end of cooking, because if it's also got stock in it as well it may end up too salty if you add extra salt early in the cooking process).

When I make up a packet stuffing mix I add stock with a small dob of marmite dissolved in it and a bit of butter and it takes a basic packet mix to new level.

Nigella's recipe for marmite spaghetti is pretty popular.

Having said that, it's not always the case, see - Lidl opens its own bottling plant in Derby to supply its GB stores, and if you ever watch 'Aldi’s Next Big Thing', you see them selecting small independent suppliers, often manufacturing themselves, or using small independent factories, that are not associated with big brands.
Cool, I wasn't aware of either of these things, we haven't watched tv for over a decade and our internet is a bit pants for streaming or whatever you're meant to do. Good to know they are supporting smaller factories :)
(the Aldi cakes and cake tubs are still damn near identical to M&S ones though :D )

It's also great as a cooking ingredient - use a small dob of marmite in stews and casseroles the same sort of way you'd use Worcestershire sauce or other umami condiment (just taste the dish before adding additional salt if needed towards the end of cooking, because if it's also got stock in it as well it may end up too salty if you add extra salt early in the cooking process).

When I make up a packet stuffing mix I add stock with a small dob of marmite dissolved in it and a bit of butter and it takes a basic packet mix to new level.

Nigella's recipe for marmite spaghetti is pretty popular.
Without a doubt, I'm going to try that. Thank you
I just had to look this up, had NO idea what it was, I have a bottle of soy sauce, it's probably very out of date and I doubt it will ever get replaced. Umami is obviously just not things I use.
I think Epona description of marmite's taste is spot on

I just had to look this up, had NO idea what it was, I have a bottle of soy sauce, it's probably very out of date and I doubt it will ever get replaced. Umami is obviously just not things I use.

Whereas I buy the big bottles of soy sauce from the Chinese supermarket because a little diddy one from Morrisons/Lidl will be gone in a week and is a lot more expensive, in relative terms. :D I do cook quite a lot of stir fries and Chinese/far eastern style food though, one of my favourites but I struggle to find takeaways and restaurants from those regions that I feel OK using because they often use peanuts in their kitchens - so I do my favourite restaurant/takeaway dishes at home.

I highly doubt it goes off so yours should still be alright - like marmite, it can get salt crystals form in it I think but give the bottle a shake and it should be fine.

Cool, I wasn't aware of either of these things, we haven't watched tv for over a decade and our internet is a bit pants for streaming or whatever you're meant to do. Good to know they are supporting smaller factories :)
(the Aldi cakes and cake tubs are still damn near identical to M&S ones though :D )

I find the 'Aldi’s Next Big Thing' programme absolutely fascinating, Aldi's UK buyer has loads of considerations - if it's something they could sell, shelf-life, price point, profit margin, how to upscale production to a meet a big order, etc. etc.

Small-scale British food and drink producers get the rare opportunity to pitch their products to Britain's fourth biggest supermarket, Aldi. The prize is a life-changing contract to supply Aldi's stores nationwide. Anita Rani and Chris Bavin guide viewers on a journey behind-the-scenes at the supermarket giant for the first time ever, while the suppliers visit Aldi headquarters to showcase their products. Each episode sees the panel deliberate on multiple factors as they whittle six products down to two. The finalists then have four weeks to improve their products before learning who has won.

She's only supposed to pick one product per show, but sometimes struggles with the two finalists, and gives them both contracts. :cool:

If im being honest I do find crumpets a bit weird. The rubberiness. And the holes trigger me. But they’re great for soaking up all that butter and Marmite.

Back
Top Bottom