Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coffee brewing devices ancient and modern

By my reckoning my morning Aeropress coffee is approx a third espresso strength - I use it inverted and top up with more water during the pressing ..
So an espresso shot is 30ml ?
mug is 300ml but I use 3 shots' worth of beans (22g)

Last edited:
By my reckoning my morning Aeropress coffee is approx a third espresso strength - I use it inverted and top up with more water during the pressing ..
:confused: Surely using an inverted aeropress ends up with coffee all over the kitchen top and floor?

EDIT: Ah you "invert" the water and coffee. Put the water in first, then the coffee grounds, then more water and then press. Why? That just seems like more trouble and more likely to make mess.

:confused: Surely using an inverted aeropress ends up with coffee all over the kitchen top and floor?

EDIT: Ah you "invert" the water and coffee. Put the water in first, then the coffee grounds, then more water and then press. Why? That just seems like more trouble and more likely to make mess.
Nope.
A Lot of people do it this way.
And it's a more porous metal filter too. Piston just in, grounds first, add water, stir, cap on.
Spread toast, invert onto mug, press half way.
Remove cap, add more hot water, stir, finish pressing.
That way I get a full mug of strong coffee and all the flavour out.
The biggest risk is the cap not going on so I test that right at the start.

Nope.
A Lot of people do it this way.
And it's a more porous metal filter too. Piston just in, grounds first, add water, stir, cap on.
Spread toast, invert onto mug, press half way.
Remove cap, add more hot water, stir, finish pressing.
That way I get a full mug of strong coffee and all the flavour out.
The biggest risk is the cap not going on so I test that right at the start.
OK I think I Gert what you are doing now, I still question why? You still ultimately using the same process as doing things the normal way. If you want strong coffee then why not use a brewing method that produces stronger coffee, like the stovetop.

OK I think I Gert what you are doing now, I still question why? You still ultimately using the same process as doing things the normal way. If you want strong coffee then why not use a brewing method that produces stronger coffee, like the stovetop.
Stovetop doesn't have the advantages of using a filter, is awkward to clean (certainly compared to an aeropress) and has a reputation for scalding the coffee grounds making a slightly more bitter brew. The upside-down aeropress method is really not difficult or messy and allows a bit more time and control. When I make a right-way-up aeropress it feels more of a faff tbh.

No issue in 10 years.
I used a cafetiere before and wanted no seepage... I also warm the mug with water that needs to be poured away ...
As I said the only issue is getting grounds in the latch so the filter won't go on when it's filled with hot water.. Sometimes I have to place the metal filter on and blow... I rounded the leading edges a bit with a file..

Last edited:
Hmmm, when I'm next in work I'll give it a go.
But I'm highly dubious it produces 'better' or stronger coffee to doing it the normal way - not with all the other variables you're going to have.

Yeah steovetops and cafetière's are not as convenient, which is why I like my areaopress at work, but they do produce strong coffee. If one wants really strong coffee then starting with an areaopress seems an odd choice.

Hmmm, when I'm next in work I'll give it a go.
But I'm highly dubious it produces 'better' or stronger coffee to doing it the normal way - not with all the other variables you're going to have.

Yeah steovetops and cafetière's are not as convenient, which is why I like my areaopress at work, but they do produce strong coffee. If one wants really strong coffee then starting with an areaopress seems an odd choice.
I'm not claiming it'll make any noticeable difference in flavour btw (logically there should be but I have a vulgar palate). It just stops me from feeling like there's a timer on when the water starts dripping through the filter and also means I don't have to use the official stirrer.

I'm not claiming it'll make any noticeable difference in flavour btw (logically there should be but I have a vulgar palate). It just stops me from feeling like there's a timer on when the water starts dripping through the filter and also means I don't have to use the official stirrer.
I use the fat end of a chopstick...
So that silly stirrer I never used is to stop determined people tearing the paper?
I do get some drippage because at the end I undo the cap and squeeze the last drips out.
My palate is so crude that sometimes I'll do a small second infusion to top up the small amount of remaining cold.
I often make my coffee last an hour...
Getting all the grounds back in can be messy...

Last edited:
I was toying with the idea of getting an XL aeropress in order to be able to make two coffees at the same time but realised that it won't work as fella and I require different strengths.

I was toying with the idea of getting an XL aeropress in order to be able to make two coffees at the same time but realised that it won't work as fella and I require different strengths.
You could make to the strength that the stronger coffee liking person requires and dilute the other with hot water.

Except that an XL aeropress is 60 fucking nicker? Wtf? It's just some plastic.

Except that an XL aeropress is 60 fucking nicker? Wtf? It's just some plastic.
That’s why I’ve never bought an Aeropress. It’s expensive plastic. Plus I am happy with my moka pots. They make me good quality espresso-strength coffees.

I’d love a bean-to-cup like the host at my dog sit here in Rye has, but I don’t have the counter space or the income for it.

Back
Top Bottom