Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheese and Marmite Toastie

Toastie! Cheese! Marmite! Yes? No?

• YES !

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • NO !

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters
Yeah I can't tell the difference between actual Marmite and own-brand. We've got the Sainsburys reduced salt version on the go atm and it ticks all the Marmitey boxes for me.

Aldi and Lidl is very probably the originals with different labels, or occasionally with slightly different ingredients, do you really think they have their own factories? I used to work at Premier Brands back in the day and I can assure you the only difference between Hartley and supermarkets one stuff was the sodding label, cos I worked on the label machine :)

All those caterpillar cakes?? Same factory :D

I am really miffed that Lidl has become so popular, I liked it more before everyone in the town with cafes/B&B, etc started using it as a cash and carry. It's rarely quiet now :(

I didn't suggest they had their own factories, my post was more about their own product branding often being direct rip-offs/copycats of leading brands, with just enough changes to avoid legal action.

I am aware that factories often produce for both the big brands and supermarket own brands, most big brands don't tend to allow their recipe to just be re-labeled, so in most cases it involves slightly different ingredients.

Having said that, it's not always the case, see - Lidl opens its own bottling plant in Derby to supply its GB stores, and if you ever watch 'Aldi’s Next Big Thing', you see them selecting small independent suppliers, often manufacturing themselves, or using small independent factories, that are not associated with big brands.

the worst that will happen to it is some salt crystals might form in it after a year or two.
What about when old marmite around the rid welds the lid shut and you have to run it underva hot tap after almost deflecting the palm of your hand trying to get the lid off.

I find that worse than salt crystals

Ok I'm going to take up the challenge. I'll vaguely have a look for Marmite in the shops around here and if I ever see it I'll get it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of my life I will eat Marmite and cheese toasties.
I got mine on Amazon. $7US. I've never seen it in a store anywhere here

I did just as instructed. Spread it thinly on toasted bread. I really liked it. My wife, however had no interest in trying any...
The only issue that I had was the vscosity. More like honey than the peanut butter I was expecting , so I made a bit of a mess

TBH, I used bread that was almost stale, because if I didn't like it I was going to throw it away. It would probably taste even better on fresh bread, which I'll purchase this weekend...

I did just as instructed. Spread it thinly on toasted bread. I really liked it. My wife, however had no interest in trying any...

TBH, I used bread that was almost stale, because if I didn't like it I was going to throw it away. It would probably taste even better on fresh bread, which I'll purchase this weekend...

Did the instructions not specify butter as well? They should have done.

I am very happy for you, anyway.

The only issue that I had was the vscosity. More like honey than the peanut butter I was expecting , so I made a bit of a mess

The viscosity is affected a lot by the ambient temperature.
Stick it in the fridge and it thickens up significantly.

Back
Top Bottom